What are my chances in the Top 14 - Most likely mediocre LOR Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
JusPassItToWill

New

What are my chances in the Top 14 - Most likely mediocre LOR

Post by JusPassItToWill » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:41 am

Hi all,

I was looking to see if you could help me either alleviate my concerns or help me with a predicament I've been having.

My stats as currently stands are as follows:

LSAT: 180
GPA: 3.69
Undergrad: Ivy-League, Biology Major
Hispanic, Not URM (as far as I know... do Ecuadorian-Americans count? Would anyone be able to shed some light on this)?

Overall, based on Mylsn, I feel pretty good about my chances overall, and in particular, at Harvard, which is where I want to go. My concern, though, is related to my Letters of Recommendation. I haven't asked for them yet, but I kinda screwed up my chances there, since I didn't really interact very much with my professors during my Undergrad. On the whole, I didn't attend office hours very often, and I'm not sure very many professors would remember me by name. I regret it now, but there's not much I can do about it at this point.

I was thinking of getting LORs from one of my professors that I took a couple classes with (one of them a smaller, 10 person seminar), along with another visiting professor, who is currently a law professor at Northwestern. I can't expect that what they write will really be anything other than generic, though. That's really all I've got, unfortunately.

I will also be including LORs from my current employer and former employer, and I expect those will be extremely positive, but from what I've read thus far, since I've only been out of school a year now (two by the time I start law school), there's not very much weight put on employment-based recs.

How much will mediocre LORs affect my chances for HYS and through the Top 14?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this.

Br3v

Gold

Re: What are my chances in the Top 14 - Most likely mediocre LOR

Post by Br3v » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:48 am

I'd predict you'll probably get a full ride at some T-14s, LORs don't really matter

bretby

Bronze

Post by bretby » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:58 am

JusPassItToWill wrote:Hi all,

I was looking to see if you could help me either alleviate my concerns or help me with a predicament I've been having.

My stats as currently stands are as follows:

LSAT: 180
GPA: 3.69
Undergrad: Ivy-League, Biology Major
Hispanic, Not URM (as far as I know... do Ecuadorian-Americans count? Would anyone be able to shed some light on this)?

Overall, based on Mylsn, I feel pretty good about my chances overall, and in particular, at Harvard, which is where I want to go. My concern, though, is related to my Letters of Recommendation. I haven't asked for them yet, but I kinda screwed up my chances there, since I didn't really interact very much with my professors during my Undergrad. On the whole, I didn't attend office hours very often, and I'm not sure very many professors would remember me by name. I regret it now, but there's not much I can do about it at this point.

I was thinking of getting LORs from one of my professors that I took a couple classes with (one of them a smaller, 10 person seminar), along with another visiting professor, who is currently a law professor at Northwestern. I can't expect that what they write will really be anything other than generic, though. That's really all I've got, unfortunately.

I will also be including LORs from my current employer and former employer, and I expect those will be extremely positive, but from what I've read thus far, since I've only been out of school a year now (two by the time I start law school), there's not very much weight put on employment-based recs.

How much will mediocre LORs affect my chances for HYS and through the Top 14?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this.
All this parsing of URM status for Hispanic-Americans is a bit maddening. Do we consider URM status as a function of how that person is perceived by the society at large (and thus may hypothetically be shut out from certain opportunities) or the particular background of the individual candidate. Is a kid from a wealthy, well-established Cuban-American family is maybe not a URM, while a kid with Ecuadorian parents who grew up in the Bronx maybe is? What about an African-American kid who grew up lower-middle class versus the child of African parents who grew up wealthy? Disentangling ethnic/racial and socio-economic identity here seems tricky. So whether you will be considered a URM or not, and whether you should be considered a URM or not, is a difficult question.

That said, you'll probably get into some good schools. Who knows about HYS.

Broncos15

Bronze

Post by Broncos15 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:05 am

So whether you will be considered a URM or not, and whether you should be considered a URM or not, is a difficult question.

Two separate arguments between will OP be considered a URM and should OP be considered a URM....it doesn't really matter if we think OP should be considered a URM or not

URM boosts exist whether fair or not

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:07 am

You're gonna get in somewhere. As to where, I dunno. I suspect LSN could give you an idea.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Broncos15

Bronze

Post by Broncos15 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:11 am

I'd imagine out of HYS .....H is the most probable because of the low GPA for Y and S

AOT

Gold

Post by AOT » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:14 am

One of my LORs basically said I was lazy. Still got in places. You'll probably be fine

bretby

Bronze

Post by bretby » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:16 am

Broncos15 wrote:
So whether you will be considered a URM or not, and whether you should be considered a URM or not, is a difficult question.

Two separate arguments between will OP be considered a URM and should OP be considered a URM....it doesn't really matter if we think OP should be considered a URM or not

I wasn't talking about the fairness of the URM boost as a general concept, I was talking about how ill-defined the category of URM can be, thus making it difficult to know whether one will get a URM boost, whether or not one "should".

Broncos15

Bronze

Post by Broncos15 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:34 am

bretby wrote:
Broncos15 wrote:

I wasn't talking about the fairness of the URM boost as a general concept, I was talking about how ill-defined the category of URM can be, thus making it difficult to know whether one will get a URM boost, whether or not one "should".
I don't think there is much data or anecdotal evidence on this .....My guess is a wealthy AA still trumps a poor Caucasian/white....but if ( and if so , to what extent) a poor AA outperforms a wealthy AA is much less clear

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ticklemesilly

Bronze

Post by ticklemesilly » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:42 am

With that huge of a split it's very hard to predict how your cycle will look. Your GPA is by no means bad but you'll still be considered a big splitter because of that stellar LSAT. I think Harvard is doable because they admit a very large class size and need to maintain their high LSAT median. And I think you'll be looking at some generous scholarships or even full rides from places like Columbia or NYU (very splitter friendly). Chicago is a crap shoot because they aren't splitter friendly. If you do get in though they are known to be quite generous. Below T6 you should be a shoo in (or maybe yield protect for Virginia and other strong YP offenders) , mediocre LOR or otherwise. The only exception may be Berkeley because they really value GPA over LSAT. That being said, I do think they really do take a holistic approach and will probably understand that your 3.7 as a science major is worth more than a 3.7 in Criminal Justice, for example.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:48 pm

3.69 is not that huge of a split.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:49 pm

Check out http://www.mylsn.info for chances

OhBoyOhBortles

Gold

Post by OhBoyOhBortles » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:54 pm

You'll be fine.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LSATobsessed

New

Post by LSATobsessed » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:55 pm

retake

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:05 pm

LSATobsessed wrote:retake
Excellent post/user name combo

RunnerRunner

Bronze

Post by RunnerRunner » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:06 pm

I bet you'll nab Harvard, don't think the LORs will be a problem there at all. I think the quality of LORs are something you stress like crazy about when you send in your apps and then laugh about after you get your decisions because you realize how little of a difference they make, one way or the other. Y/S who knows, but you should have good options no matter what.

bretby

Bronze

Post by bretby » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:15 pm

Broncos15 wrote:
bretby wrote:
Broncos15 wrote:

I don't think there is much data or anecdotal evidence on this .....My guess is a wealthy AA still trumps a poor Caucasian/white....but if ( and if so , to what extent) a poor AA outperforms a wealthy AA is much less clear
That last question is what I was trying to get at - how the category URM is defined for the purposes of admissions and how this impacts people of color who are coming from different socio-economic backgrounds. My impression is that wealthy people of color outperform less well-off people of color, perhaps almost to the point of excluding them, with regards to competitive admissions processes. I'm not saying that anything should be one way or another, just that when the OP raised the question of whether he "counted" as a URM because he was Ecuadorian-American, this raises a lot of really interesting questions.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”