Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
R123nav

Postby R123nav » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:33 pm

Last edited by R123nav on Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

malleus discentium

Re: Semester withdrawal or lower gpa?

Postby malleus discentium » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:53 pm

This is a little too cryptic for us to give you meaningful advice.

Capitol_Idea

Postby Capitol_Idea » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:59 pm

malleus discentium wrote:This is a little too cryptic for us to give you meaningful advice.

NVM, see below.
Last edited by Capitol_Idea on Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:23 pm

He's talking about undergrad.

Clearly a semester of withdrawals are better than bad grades. No one will care about withdrawals, esp if you have a good reason.

swampman

Postby swampman » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:27 pm

Find out if your school counts withdrawals as punitive, if so LSAC will consider them Fs.
If they're considered non-punitive then withdraw.

malleus discentium

Postby malleus discentium » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:53 pm

Clearly wrote:He's talking about undergrad.

Clearly a semester of withdrawals are better than bad grades. No one will care about withdrawals, esp if you have a good reason.

Did he just dick around this semester? Does he have a medical reason for these grades? Did he pick really hard classes? Can he still get nonpunitive withdrawals? What kind of grades are we talking? The answer to each of these questions changes how he should proceed and how big a deal it will be. You're right that, in the abstract, a transcript with a semester of withdrawals is better than one with a semester of Fs. But that observation doesn't help him, because no kidding.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:56 pm

malleus discentium wrote:
Clearly wrote:He's talking about undergrad.

Did he just dick around this semester? Does he have a medical reason for these grades? Did he pick really hard classes? Can he still get nonpunitive withdrawals? What kind of grades are we talking? The answer to each of these questions changes how he should proceed and how big a deal it will be. You're right that, in the abstract, a transcript with a semester of withdrawals is better than one with a semester of Fs. But that observation doesn't help him, because no kidding.

A semester of non-punitive Ws is better under any circumstances than a semester of bad grades, and I happen to know his school does non-punitive Ws. It seems like no kidding to us, but we don't know what he knows.

R123nav

Postby R123nav » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:41 am

Last edited by R123nav on Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:26 pm

Why would your situation be any better in the future though? Just how poorly are you on track to do this semester?

Broncos15

Postby Broncos15 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:06 am

R123nav wrote:Sorry guys, it's my last semester of undergrad and I need to leave school to help my parents failing business. It's the last thing I want to do, but I know if I stay and try to work at the business there is no way I'll be able to get decent grades in all classes. It will delay my graduation one semester. Other than that my cumulative GPA is a 3.81.

A 3.81 is excellent....I say graduate since it is almost the end of the semester as is.

Even in an absolute worst case it dropped to lets say a 3.75 ....every school with the exception of Yale and possibly Stanford would be open to you

k5220

Postby k5220 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:33 am

Broncos15 wrote:
R123nav wrote:Sorry guys, it's my last semester of undergrad and I need to leave school to help my parents failing business. It's the last thing I want to do, but I know if I stay and try to work at the business there is no way I'll be able to get decent grades in all classes. It will delay my graduation one semester. Other than that my cumulative GPA is a 3.81.

A 3.81 is excellent....I say graduate since it is almost the end of the semester as is.

Even in an absolute worst case it dropped to lets say a 3.75 ....every school with the exception of Yale and possibly Stanford would be open to you

I think you should protect your GPA. The difference between a 3.8 and a 3.75 is significant at the top schools, and could make a difference in scholarship offers too. (And a 3.75 cumulative GPA after 8 semesters would require you to get like a 3.5 in your last semester, which still seems a bit ambitious). You only get one shot to get your GPA right.

VPlaw

Postby VPlaw » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:37 am

k5220 wrote:
Broncos15 wrote:

I think you should protect your GPA. The difference between a 3.8 and a 3.75 is significant at the top schools, and could make a difference in scholarship offers too. (And a 3.75 cumulative GPA after 8 semesters would require you to get like a 3.5 in your last semester, which still seems a bit ambitious). You only get one shot to get your GPA right.

''
Will the business possibly fail whether your drop out of school or not? Just a question to ponder. I am so sorry for your parents. You seem like a nice person to try and help. Good luck to you and I hope you eventually get into the law school of your dreams.

BasilHallward

Postby BasilHallward » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:02 am

I think OP needs to define what bad grades are before we proceed. There is usually a lot more transparency in undergrad with respect to grades, so he or she should know their placement at this point in the game. And who is to say that this semester off does not turn into 2-3 semesters off? What are your grade expectations for this semester, should you ride the semester out?

R123nav

Postby R123nav » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:54 am

Last edited by R123nav on Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:09 am

I would honestly just finish out the semester to the best of your ability. Explain the situation to your professors and I'm sure they'll be accommodating.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:39 am

What's your major?

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:41 am

there is no way in hell i'd sit out a cycle to protect my gpa by .05 points-that's ridiculous.

especially since lsat takers increased in december and feb so this is the best cycle to apply anyway-next year will be harder

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:45 am

starry eyed wrote:there is no way in hell i'd sit out a cycle to protect my gpa by .05 points-that's ridiculous.

especially since lsat takers increased in december and feb so this is the best cycle to apply anyway-next year will be harder

This is a stretch...

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:45 am

starry eyed wrote:there is no way in hell i'd sit out a cycle to protect my gpa by .05 points-that's ridiculous.

R123nav

Postby R123nav » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:48 am

Last edited by R123nav on Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:52 am

Rigo wrote:

if you are disputing that next year will be tougher, what other metric are we supposed to use?

this site is all about numbers; why does it decide to ignore them at times?

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:54 am

starry eyed wrote:
Rigo wrote:

if you are disputing that next year will be tougher, what other metric are we supposed to use?

this site is all about numbers; why does it decide to ignore them at times?

You're making faulty assumptions.
And the first part I crossed out because OP isn't sitting out the cycle either way, as he stated.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:54 am

Take the semester off. Take a year off. Take two years off.

I assume you don't have a job after undergrad lined up yet? Cool. Take time off to help with the business, and profit from the interesting thing to talk about in job interviews. You'll also get a second chance to apply for interesting jobs, again with that on your resume.

No employer or school is going to say this: "Well, we otherwise think he's a great fit, but he took a year off college in which he attempted to make a business solvent (successfully, or unsuccessfully) so we just can't take him." Some law schools might say this: "Wow, that's cool he took a year off college in which he struggled to make a company solvent. We just can't take a hit to our medians."

k5220

Postby k5220 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:16 pm

OP said their GPA is likely to be a 3.0. Seven semesters of 3.81 and one semester of 3.0 = more like a 3.7. The differences in admissions chances between a 3.8/172 and a 3.7/172 are real, and the scholarship offers will be different too. Withdrawing from one semester to prevent that 3.0 is pretty worth it, especially with a great reason to explain the withdrawals (which school likely won't care about anyway since they only need to report numbers to USNWR).

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:59 pm

OP said 3.0 is the absolute floor, but will probably pull a few A's.
Try to form a game plan for the next few weeks and finish strong.

How far do you live from your school?
Classes that have final papers can be managed, and maybe you can arrange to take your finals on a separate day with dean supervision.

I think if you want to make it work, you can.

Return to “What are my chances?”