Advice.

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Wall-E

Advice.

Postby Wall-E » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:28 am

Good morning. I am a high school student and about to start a bachelor in engineering. I am really keen to know more about Law school and the jobs that we can get after graduation. I would also like to know whether there is discrimination in that field. Do people from india/asia/africa succeed as well as US citizen in USA if graduation from a good law school ?

Broncos15

Re: Advice.

Postby Broncos15 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:24 pm

While not directly on topic: my advice would be study , study, study in UG

Fair or not in large part there are minimal differences between how Law Schools view different majors....So I would be aware of that heading into college and study appropriately in college as engineering is generally harder and there is more grade deflation compared to other schools.

You will want at least a 3.5 GPA to be competitive since Law Schools are more likely to admit a 3.75 Liberal Arts candidate compared to a 3.25 STEM major ( again fair or not, thats how it is)

swampman

Postby swampman » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:32 pm

Wall-E wrote:Good morning. I am a high school student and about to start a bachelor in engineering. I am really keen to know more about Law school and the jobs that we can get after graduation. I would also like to know whether there is discrimination in that field. Do people from india/asia/africa succeed as well as US citizen in USA if graduation from a good law school ?

I wouldn't be worried about discrimination, but it sounds like English is your second language and that will definitely hold you back, both on the LSAT and on the job. Still, you have four years to work on it if you really want to.

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:56 am

Personally, if I could do math and sciences, I would prefer to be an engineer, and I would consider not going to LS. I have a friend who is about to start her master's in mechanical engineering at the same school that I'm thinking of going for LS, and she will make more money than most lawyers + has a job already + will be happier than most attorneys. OP,you're in HS, I would consider seriously doing a master's in engineering than lawl school. It might interest you to read Vale of Tears threads on TLS.

LET'S GET IT

Postby LET'S GET IT » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:21 pm

You should not be worrying about this right now. If you are sure you want to go to law school (or even if you aren't), just get as high of a GPA as possible in college. Worry about the rest later. Good luck.

Wall-E

Postby Wall-E » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:38 pm

Thank you all for your help :)

UCLAHopeful2015

Postby UCLAHopeful2015 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:22 pm

LET'S GET IT wrote:You should not be worrying about this right now. If you are sure you want to go to law school (or even if you aren't), just get as high of a GPA as possible in college. Worry about the rest later. Good luck.

Mokhles82

Postby Mokhles82 » Thu May 28, 2015 4:10 am

Thanks for your advices, they are really helpful.

thanks

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu May 28, 2015 9:44 am

Those with undergraduate engineering degrees might want to look into the practice of patent law & intellectual property. Usually best to get several years of work experience after you get your undergraduate degree before enrolling in a professional school such as law school. Another avenue is to consider getting an MBA degree after 3 to 5 years of post-undergraduate work experience.

Christinalorence

Postby Christinalorence » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:18 am

spam

Monster1776

Postby Monster1776 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:59 am

Wall-E wrote:Good morning. I am a high school student and about to start a bachelor in engineering. I am really keen to know more about Law school and the jobs that we can get after graduation. I would also like to know whether there is discrimination in that field. Do people from india/asia/africa succeed as well as US citizen in USA if graduation from a good law school ?

For the love of all that is pure and holy please stick to graduating with a degree in engineering, and if push comes to shove at least have a business major. It's not absolutely necessary to practice law but it does open the door to practice IP law which is huge; I'm almost considering going back and getting a Computer Science major that I gave up for that alone.

And while I'm sure some of the larger law firms have the "good ole' boy" mentality when it comes to getting into the higher ranks, I'd imagine that coming from a place like India/Asia/Africa would at least get your foot in the door over most people.

pancakes3

Postby pancakes3 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:44 am

If you do engineering go for Systems, Biomed, Computer Science, or EE.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:52 am

I have many relatives who have earned engineering degrees--mostly in EE. All hit a ceiling after about 5 years of post undergraduate work experience. All went on to earn MBAs in order to advance their careers. Two finished near the top of their class while at a very competitive & well respected engineering school. One earned his MBA part-time while working full-time, the other got very generous scholarship offers, but ended up at Northwestern's MBA program (marketing). All with MBAs rose in earnings & position. I don't know why they didn't pursue higher level degrees in engineering. Another relative with a degree in ME became a diplomat with an international bank/fund & spent his career living abroad overseeing massive infrastructure projects & in DC. Others with undergraduate engineering degrees went into the sales divisions of Fortune 50 companies with VP & director titles. Both were/are in line to become strong CEO candidates.
I relate these stories because, in my estimation, none would have done well in law school. Put simply, they tend to view things as either black or white (of course, all are staunch Republicans).

Return to “What are my chances?”