Living at home (parents) vs. Apartment

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
sballo2

Living at home (parents) vs. Apartment

Postby sballo2 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:35 pm

Starting law school next year and I'm debating if I should live at home or not. I have 6 siblings, who all live at home along with my mom, dad, and grandmother. I lived at home during hs/undergrad and did extremely well but I know that law school is a bit more rigorous. Also, I have no bedroom, I sleep in the living room. Any thoughts?

zombie mcavoy

Re: Living at home (parents) vs. Apartment

Postby zombie mcavoy » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:40 pm

Not going to affect you from a ls perspective so long as you can be certain you'll get a good night's sleep before exams. Keeping costs down is huge, of course. But depending on your situation, it might not be necessary (e.g. if you have a fully to a good school you can probably afford to debt finance your own place).

Broncos15

Postby Broncos15 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:09 pm

I lived at home during hs/undergrad and did extremely well but I know that law school is a bit more rigorous.

A bit is certainly an understatement...I think that is a question only you can answer if that will be a distraction or not.

I would not assume undergrad success will translate into LS success ( or much else high school success).....Certainly not implying you can't succeed, just that it is a difficult path

Mozart Lacrimosa

Postby Mozart Lacrimosa » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:32 pm

zombie mcavoy wrote:Not going to affect you from a ls perspective so long as you can be certain you'll get a good night's sleep before exams. Keeping costs down is huge, of course. But depending on your situation, it might not be necessary (e.g. if you have a fully to a good school you can probably afford to debt finance your own place).

Define good school haha. I've got virtually a fully to WUSTL, COL is low so I want to spring for a nice place but I'm not sure how secure I am really

bearsfan23

Postby bearsfan23 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:39 pm

Your living situation at home sounds awful, esp for being a 1L and getting laid ever. Just get a cheap apt

Mozart Lacrimosa

Postby Mozart Lacrimosa » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:41 pm

bearsfan23 wrote:Your living situation at home sounds awful, esp for being a 1L and getting laid ever. Just get a cheap apt

This. 6 siblings + sleeping in living room = poor sleep, no rem cycles I would think

sublime

Postby sublime » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:48 pm

Mozart Lacrimosa

Postby Mozart Lacrimosa » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:25 am

Sorry for hijacking, but thanks sublime
sublime wrote:
Mozart Lacrimosa wrote:
zombie mcavoy wrote:Not going to affect you from a ls perspective so long as you can be certain you'll get a good night's sleep before exams. Keeping costs down is huge, of course. But depending on your situation, it might not be necessary (e.g. if you have a fully to a good school you can probably afford to debt finance your own place).

Define good school haha. I've got virtually a fully to WUSTL, COL is low so I want to spring for a nice place but I'm not sure how secure I am really

If you go to WUSTL, I would just get a place. Shit is cheap enough around here that it is easily worth it.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:40 am

why is everyone talking about WUSTL, we have no idea where OP is going

zombie mcavoy

Postby zombie mcavoy » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:56 pm

Mozart Lacrimosa wrote:

Yeah a fully at WUSTL, assuming you don't have much prior debt, just get your own place. Even if you miss out on the biglaw train you're fine.

Hand

Postby Hand » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:03 pm

Tell us more about how the rest of the family deals with it when you engage in a little bump'n'grind in the living room. Do they watch?

itascot1992

Postby itascot1992 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:07 pm

Hand wrote:Tell us more about how the rest of the family deals with it when you engage in a little bump'n'grind in the living room. Do they watch?

as of dec OP had a 142/3.2 and was URM, was retaking dec lsat

Hand

Postby Hand » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:10 pm

itascot1992 wrote:
Hand wrote:Tell us more about how the rest of the family deals with it when you engage in a little bump'n'grind in the living room. Do they watch?

oops, if you are not a troll, I'm sorry OP
but do get your own apt

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:19 pm

I don't think the rigor of law school is the problem. It's not that rigorous, it's just stressful. I think you should get your own place just to avoid any additional stress. Just being able to chill out / have people over for drinks is important for law school.

bearsfan23 wrote:and getting laid ever. Just get a cheap apt

Though it would be nice to not let the crazies know where you live.

sballo2

Postby sballo2 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:42 pm

itascot1992 wrote:

I retook and got a 162. Didn't put in much effort the first time.

sballo2

Postby sballo2 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:43 pm

AreJay711 wrote:I don't think the rigor of law school is the problem. It's not that rigorous, it's just stressful. I think you should get your own place just to avoid any additional stress. Just being able to chill out / have people over for drinks is important for law school.

Thanks for your input my school offers on campus apartments for law students I filled out an app. today.

itascot1992

Postby itascot1992 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:50 pm

sballo2 wrote:
itascot1992 wrote:

I retook and got a 162. Didn't put in much effort the first time.

Thats great congratulation!

zombie mcavoy

Postby zombie mcavoy » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:55 pm

sballo2 wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:I don't think the rigor of law school is the problem. It's not that rigorous, it's just stressful. I think you should get your own place just to avoid any additional stress. Just being able to chill out / have people over for drinks is important for law school.

Thanks for your input my school offers on campus apartments for law students I filled out an app. today.

congrats on the improvement.

where are you going to school? In my experience, in most cities, you get much better value by not living on campus. More important, living in a complex of 1Ls sounds like the worst thing ever. Head for greener pastures.

Return to “What are my chances?”