What are chances at t14 schools? How about HYS? Columbia?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
UtkarshSingh

How will my past conduct problems affect my chances at a T14

Postby UtkarshSingh » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:54 pm

Last edited by UtkarshSingh on Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

notalobbyist

Re: How will my past conduct problems affect my chances at a T14

Postby notalobbyist » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:17 pm

I can't see how transferring would affect the need to disclose the probation unless the question is worded very weirdly.

PepperJack

Postby PepperJack » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:31 pm

I think the admissions people are mostly open minded modern thinkers. I'd disclose the bipolar thing personally if your grades haven't fluctuated since. They really just want to know you'll compete on a forced curve, and not be a headache (aside from helping thwir numbers).

leroyjenkins6969

Postby leroyjenkins6969 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:09 pm

UtkarshSingh wrote:I am a junior at the University of Colorado, Boulder!

I am majoring in Civil Engineering and have a GPA of 3.81
I got a 174 on my LSAT.
I have done engineering and law internships.
Many volunteer hours.
Great Recommendations!

Here are my conduct issues...

My freshman year first semester I attended the University of Denver. By the end of the quarter, I had been arrested for peeing outside on the charge of Indecent Exposure. I had been placed on Student Conduct Probation for getting caught with weed in the first month. I had also been put on extended student conduct probation for peeing outside. I also failed all my classes.

All my F's were changed to "W's", withdrawals as I had a bipolar disorder problem going on during the time. For the arrest, I was offered one year probation and it would be completely off my record. It is sealed now and not viewable to anyone, nor do I have to disclose any part of it anywhere. My only problems that are still looming are the probation for the weed, and the peeing outside. The next semester (spring of freshman year), I transferred to CU Boulder and have been getting fantastic grades since and have gotten in no conduct trouble at all.

How will the probations affect my chances at these law schools? Do I even have to disclose the probations since I transferred after only one semester? Btw it is not on my transcript since it is non academic.

Overall what are my chances at a T14? How about HYS?

FYI, you will be required to disclose your record on many (most) applications, despite the seal. Considering that it was mostly concentrated during your freshman year, it probably wont be a major issue.

malleus discentium

Postby malleus discentium » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:15 am

The biggest lurking issue is neither a C nor an F, it's those Ws. It's unlikely given the context, but it's possible that they're punitive, which would be catastrophic. If you haven't already, make very very sure they're not punitive and if they somehow are, do everything you can to change that.

As for the C&F issues, it probably won't matter much. But make sure you read C&F questions carefully because, as has been said before, you'll likely need to disclose at least some of this. But it's not likely to be a big deal. The incidents are silly freshman stuff and adcoms are probably going to look at it that way as long as you haven't repeated it or done anything else stupid.

daryldixon

Postby daryldixon » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:24 am

I am majoring in Civil Engineering and have a GPA of 3.81
I got a 174 on my LSAT.
Many volunteer hours.
Great Recommendations!

My freshman year first semester I attended the University of Denver. By the end of the quarter, I had been arrested for peeing outside on the charge of Indecent Exposure. I had been placed on Student Conduct Probation for getting caught with weed in the first month. I had also been put on extended student conduct probation for peeing outside. I also failed all my classes.

All my F's were changed to "W's", withdrawals as I had a bipolar disorder problem going on during the time. For the arrest, I was offered one year probation and it would be completely off my record. It is sealed now and not viewable to anyone, nor do I have to disclose any part of it anywhere. My only problems that are still looming are the probation for the weed, and the peeing outside. The next semester (spring of freshman year), I transferred to CU Boulder and have been getting fantastic grades since and have gotten in no conduct trouble at all.

How will the probations affect my chances at these law schools? Do I even have to disclose the probations since I transferred after only one semester? Btw it is not on my transcript since it is non academic.

You will still have to disclose the "sealed" record. Law school apps will ask for any arrests or convictions including those that happened when you were a minor. The law school admission committee may not be able to find the sealed records but eventually, when you apply for the bar, the C&F application will ask you to disclose these charges and the bar have subpoena power to discover any sealed or expunged records. You basically waive all privacy when you apply for the bar. You will have a very hard time passing C&F if they find out you had an arrest that you failed to disclose on your law school apps. Many people have failed C&F because of this exact type of omission. The best policy is to disclose everything and pray that your high GPA and LSAT motivate schools to looks past your offenses.

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:07 pm

Your C&F issues will have almost no effect on your cycle. But definitely disclose the expunged stuff. The only place in the T14 where you do not need to do this is Harvard. They specifically exclude expunged/sealed records.

UtkarshSingh

How will my past conduct problems affect my chances at a T14

Postby UtkarshSingh » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:49 am

I am a junior at the University of Colorado, Boulder!

I am majoring in Civil Engineering and have a GPA of 3.85
I got a 175 on my LSAT.
Many volunteer hours.
Great Recommendations!

My freshman year first semester I attended the University of Denver. By the end of the quarter, I had been arrested for peeing outside on the charge of Indecent Exposure as the girls claimed I was masturbating. I had been placed on Student Conduct Probation for getting caught with weed in the first month. I had also been suspended from DU for the "masturbation" when I was actually peeing charge. It did not matter at the time because I had transferred to CU Boulder by the time I got suspended.

All my F's were changed to "W's", withdrawals as I had a psychological problem going on at the time. I got a medical leave of absence. For the arrest, I was offered one year probation and it would be completely off my record. It is sealed now but I will probably still have to disclose it on my applications. I don't think the weed issue will be that much of a problem as it was a freshman pot mishap, but the suspension and arrest due to a "sex offense" (I was seriously just peeing...I'm circumcised...makes a difference) may have a huge impact but I dont know. The next semester (spring of freshman year), I transferred to CU Boulder and have been getting fantastic grades since and have gotten in no conduct trouble at all.

Someone gave me advice to not even disclose that I ever went to DU, and then not disclose any of the conduct issues. I would do this by asking for a FERPA block so that the LSAC and the law schools will not see DU when they do enrollment verification through the student clearinghouse. Bad idea? or Good considering the conduct issues on my record?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:01 am

Actually, you add some more details to this one, so I'm going to merge it with your original topic.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:12 am

I am majoring in Civil Engineering and have a GPA of 3.85
I got a 175 on my LSAT.
Many volunteer hours.
Great Recommendations!

My freshman year first semester I attended the University of Denver. By the end of the quarter, I had been arrested for peeing outside on the charge of Indecent Exposure as the girls claimed I was masturbating. I had been placed on Student Conduct Probation for getting caught with weed in the first month. I had also been suspended from DU for the "masturbation" when I was actually peeing charge. It did not matter at the time because I had transferred to CU Boulder by the time I got suspended.

All my F's were changed to "W's", withdrawals as I had a psychological problem going on at the time. I got a medical leave of absence. For the arrest, I was offered one year probation and it would be completely off my record. It is sealed now but I will probably still have to disclose it on my applications. I don't think the weed issue will be that much of a problem as it was a freshman pot mishap, but the suspension and arrest due to a "sex offense" (I was seriously just peeing...I'm circumcised...makes a difference) may have a huge impact but I dont know. The next semester (spring of freshman year), I transferred to CU Boulder and have been getting fantastic grades since and have gotten in no conduct trouble at all.

Someone gave me advice to not even disclose that I ever went to DU, and then not disclose any of the conduct issues. I would do this by asking for a FERPA block so that the LSAC and the law schools will not see DU when they do enrollment verification through the student clearinghouse. Bad idea? or Good considering the conduct issues on my record?

Do not, under any circumstances do anything your friend says about this topic, or any other topic, for the rest of your life.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:12 am

UtkarshSingh wrote:(I was seriously just peeing...I'm circumcised...makes a difference)

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

cron1834

Postby cron1834 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:32 am

Serious creep.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:14 am

Calling flame. The LSAT scores changed in each of his posts (174 vs. 175) and his GPA also changed (3.81 vs. 3.85). Also gotta like how he gradually upped the anty on the school discipline from an issue of "peeing outside" to a sex offense of "masturbation in public."

Anyway, there's no way his LSAC GPA is 3.8+, which would be the biggest problem. Doesn't matter if they're W's or F's, on LSAC's GPA they will count as F's. That's an entire year's of 0.00, which will drag his GPA down from 3.8 to a nice 2.5 or so.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:24 pm

Tanicius wrote:Calling flame. The LSAT scores changed in each of his posts (174 vs. 175) and his GPA also changed (3.81 vs. 3.85). Also gotta like how he gradually upped the anty on the school discipline from an issue of "peeing outside" to a sex offense of "masturbation in public."

Anyway, there's no way his LSAC GPA is 3.8+, which would be the biggest problem. Doesn't matter if they're W's or F's, on LSAC's GPA they will count as F's. That's an entire year's of 0.00, which will drag his GPA down from 3.8 to a nice 2.5 or so.

It's deff a flame, but whether they count or not just depends on the school, plenty of withdrawals don't count.

UtkarshSingh

Postby UtkarshSingh » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:08 pm

@Tanicius, you sir are a flaming dumbass that doesn't know squat about LSAC policy. LSAC treats W's as F's only if the school does, and only if it was done in with punitive intent.

And to you and @clearly, My GPA went up from last semester with straight 2 A+'s and 2 A's last semester..fall 2013. I also got results from a recent LSAT and I did one point better.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:21 pm

UtkarshSingh wrote:@Tanicius, you sir are a flaming dumbass that doesn't know squat about LSAC policy. LSAC treats W's as F's only if the school does, and only if it was done in with punitive intent.

And to you and @clearly, My GPA went up from last semester with straight 2 A+'s and 2 A's last semester..fall 2013. I also got results from a recent LSAT and I did one point better.

Did you also retake that whole urinating in public thing in order to up that one too?
Last edited by Tanicius on Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UtkarshSingh

What are chances at t14 schools? How about HYS? Columbia?

Postby UtkarshSingh » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:07 pm

For this Student (me hopefully):

Senior at the University of Colorado, Boulder majoring in Electrical & Computer Engineering. Will work for 1-2 years at an engineering firm before law school.

- GPA = 3.55
- LSAT = 177 (I have been doing better on practice tests, just assume this for the time being even if you don't believe its likely)
- Many engineering and law internships.
- Internship with Senator
- Many volunteer hours.
- 1-2 years job experience engineering
- Great Recommendations!

However there are some conduct issues...

Freshman year first semester attended the University of Denver. Had been placed on Student Conduct Probation in the first month for getting caught with weed. Weeks later, arrested for peeing outside on the charge of Indecent Exposure. Since this was while on Student Conduct Probation DU suspended student for 1 year. It did not matter at the time because I had transferred to CU Boulder by the time I got suspended.

For the arrest, I was offered a deferred judgement which required successful completion of 1 yr probation to dismiss the charges. All charges have been dismissed and it is sealed now but I will probably still have to disclose it on my applications. I don't think the weed issue will be that much of a problem as it was a freshman pot mishap, but the suspension and arrest due to a "sex offense" (Would they consider indecent exposure a sex offense?) may have a huge impact but I don't know. The next semester (spring of freshman year), I transferred to CU Boulder and have been getting fantastic grades since and have gotten in NO conduct trouble at all.

MistakenGenius

Post removed.

Postby MistakenGenius » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:30 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nekrowizard

Post removed.

Postby Nekrowizard » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:38 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by Nekrowizard on Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Broncos15

Re: What are chances at t14 schools? How about HYS? Columbia?

Postby Broncos15 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:44 am

Also, your GPA is going to hold you back at some schools. Are you sure the 3.55 is your cumulative LSAC GPA? Even with a 175+, You're almost certainly not getting into Yale or Stanford with a 3.55. Harvard and Columbia are also major longshots,

I'd disagree with Colombia being a major longshot given the past two cycles

Broncos15

Postby Broncos15 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:53 am

My take is this

Very good odds at most of T14.....out at Y and S ( H is a possibility but it will be hard to crack that 3.6 GPA floor they have...although you never know, i have seen on LawSchoolNumbers some engineers and hard science majors in the 3.5 -3.6 range get into H)

Out of CCN : Chicago is the least likely out of the bunch but I'd imagine strong chances at NYU.

Berk will be hard to get into due to their high emphasis on GPA:....( I'd argue OP has better shot at H than Berk because of H's emphasis on LSAT)

TLDR version : I say apply everywhere since you never know if you don't try ....( maybe leave out Y, s, and Berk, but I don't see legitimate reasons not to apply everywhere else)

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:55 am

I have merged this with the OP's original threads.

Return to “What are my chances?”