Terrible undergrad gpa, 2.0, Perfect graduate gpa, 4.0

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
MyFirstandLastName

Terrible undergrad gpa, 2.0, Perfect graduate gpa, 4.0

Postby MyFirstandLastName » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:20 am

Hello folks,

For reasons we don't need to speak of, my undergrad GPA is a 2.0. Currently, I am in my final semester of graduate school through Liberty University's online MBA program. I expect a perfect GPA. I have not taken the LSAT yet, but for purposes of this discussion, assume I score in the medium to high range.

I'm under no delusion that I can be admitted to a top tier school. However, I'm interested in joining the highest quality program I can. Do I have a competitive chance with such a poor undergrad GPA, a perfect graduate GPA and a reasonably high LSAT score? If so, which programs will take me and what do you suggest?

I'll be 30 when I'm ready to attend. I understand the opportunity cost of attendance, poor job prospects and every other reason to avoid attending law school. My interest in law comes from a personal fascination with it and desire for public service. I'm very comfortable financially (hint: undergrad GPA), so I don't consider cost a limiting factor. Please let me know if I have any prospects.

sundontshine

Re: Terrible undergrad gpa, 2.0, Perfect graduate gpa, 4.0

Postby sundontshine » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:37 am

Grad GPA doesn't matter. You'll be judged on your 2.0.

What do you consider a "reasonably high" LSAT score to be?

MyFirstandLastName

Postby MyFirstandLastName » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:43 am

Lets say 165.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:58 am

Don't go

And drop out of that dogshit mba program unless your company is going to give you a raise and is paying for it or something

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:12 am

You should definitely keep going to school at this point.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:59 am

0% chance cuz no lsat score and can't get into law school without an lsat score

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:38 am

Graduate GPA is irrelevant.

Virtually no chance you could get into a decent school at a price worth paying with that GPA. Also, I don't know much about MBAs but I can't imagine an online degree from Liberty is going to open a lot of doors. You're probably better off getting a job and trying to work your way up than collecting more random degrees.

Ex Cearulo

Postby Ex Cearulo » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:48 am

Liberty is legit bro. Ted Cruz was just there.

MyFirstandLastName

Postby MyFirstandLastName » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:35 am

I'm willing to bet there are law schools that don't want to under the restriction of U.S News and World Report law school ranking guidelines.

Further, I'm in somewhat of a unique situation. I'm seeking a law degree not as a career advancing move but as a personal goal. I'm more interested in the quality of the program over the notoriety of the school.

I am certain there are schools that will take me. There is just too much money in it. What I'm curious to know is if someone knows of a high quality program that has loose admission standards. Or a program that doesn't strongly adhere to a set of formal admission rules.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:40 am

Northwestern isn't totally out of it if you score above a 170. Plenty of schools will throw your app in the trash regardless of your LSAT, but plenty of others will take you if you score above their target median.

Intranetusa

Postby Intranetusa » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:37 am

MyFirstandLastName wrote: I'm more interested in the quality of the program over the notoriety of the school.
I am certain there are schools that will take me. There is just too much money in it. What I'm curious to know is if someone knows of a high quality program that has loose admission standards. Or a program that doesn't strongly adhere to a set of formal admission rules.

Bro, you might get accepted into the diploma mill law schools, but don't go to the diploma mill law schools. Seriously, don't. If you put it on your resume, people will laugh at you and throw it in the garbage (equivalent of a degree from University of Phoenix). And the quality of instruction at these institutions varies from passable to sketchy. And you'll be out 150k for tuition b/c for some reason, these mills think they can charge as much as Harvard.

Why is your personal goal going to law school? Do you care about student loan debt and job prospects at all? I think those two factors take priority over personal goals.

pancakes3

Postby pancakes3 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:07 pm

MyFirstandLastName wrote:I'm seeking a law degree not as a career advancing move but as a personal goal deathwish

Julien_Benda

Postby Julien_Benda » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:45 pm

Wait, guys. Maybe trOllP has "strong softs."

Calbears123

Postby Calbears123 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:46 pm

Graduate school GPA is pointless law schools do not care, most master programs are a joke compared too undergrad. My sister did a one year masters of education, which was like 12 hours a week of in class work (free A) and any "class" she had wouldn't even allow her to turn in her paper unless it was an A. No joke teachers would give her papers back after the due date and tell her what to change for an A. I doubt an online mba program from liberty is any harder

KMart

Postby KMart » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:06 am

Why do you want to pay 6 figures to get a degree that won't further your career? I get learning and going back to school, but the people who do that are going for free or having someone pay for their education.

MyFirstandLastName

Postby MyFirstandLastName » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:37 pm

All fair criticisms. Truthfully from strictly quality point of view, University of Phoenix is an excellent online school. Yes they have a terrible reputation and they are outrageously and unjustifiably expensive, but they do offer a broader range of services than any of the other online schools.

My reasoning is that I have close personal connections in politics and have aspirations for public office. A J.D. in by no means required, however in dealing with matters the law, I would want to feel legitimate and have a deeper understanding of what I'm talking about. An M.A in Public Policy is a reasonable substitute, but it doesn't carry the weight of a J.D. There is a lot of ignorance in politics.

I own and run a small business and what I do can be managed from a distance, with the occasional favor of a friend.

Intranetusa

Postby Intranetusa » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:38 pm

MyFirstandLastName wrote:All fair criticisms. Truthfully from strictly quality point of view, University of Phoenix is an excellent online school. Yes they have a terrible reputation and they are outrageously and unjustifiably expensive, but they do offer a broader range of services than any of the other online schools.

My reasoning is that I have close personal connections in politics and have aspirations for public office. A J.D. in by no means required, however in dealing with matters the law, I would want to feel legitimate and have a deeper understanding of what I'm talking about. An M.A in Public Policy is a reasonable substitute, but it doesn't carry the weight of a J.D. There is a lot of ignorance in politics.

I own and run a small business and what I do can be managed from a distance, with the occasional favor of a friend.

University of Phoenix gets its reputation as a diploma mill from the fact that the school has no admissions standards (it'll accept anybody with a pulse to get their loan money) and no graduation standards (folks can often graduate without attending classes or doing any work). There are plenty of articles about folks literally don't not doing any work and the "teachers" (poorly paid folks at the mercy of the administration) are strong-armed by the university to pass students to squeeze more student-loan money out of them.

The best schools in the country - MIT, Harvard, etc, actually offer online courses and lectures online FOR FREE. The "excellent online schools" are the reputable schools that have an online component - Penn State, Boston U, Drexel, Arizona State U, etc.

If you want to get into public office, then get a degree in STEM. We already have too many lawyers serving as politicians who don't know a gawddamn thing about science and they want to comment on those subjects like they're expects. Lawyers have a terrible reputation in the eyes of the public, and being a lawyer is more likely to hurt you than help you if you want to get elected.

Return to “What are my chances?”