advice for a friend's husband....

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
morningstar

advice for a friend's husband....

Postby morningstar » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:53 pm

A friend of mine recently got married and her husband wants to go to law school. I've given her advice based on my numbers, but that's not really helpful. He has:

165 LSAT
2.23 GPA (hence the need for advice)
URM (hispanic)

He knows he's got an uphill battle, but does anyone have some advice for some decent law school options? He'll obviously submit a GPA addendum for what it's worth.

ballcaps

Re: advice for a friend's husband....

Postby ballcaps » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:05 pm

very few applicants like your friend's husband. adjusted the ranges considerably, and data still limited.

t14 is definitely out, but some decent regionals are in, although probably without much $$.

what are his goals? where do they want to live?

p.s. addenda don't do much, if at all.

morningstar

Postby morningstar » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:20 pm

Wow, thanks for doing that! He'd be happy at a t50, and $ is a consideration but not a deal breaker. Preferably a large market regional, he's undecided what he wants to do with it, but Big(gish)Law is a possibility.

Postby 071816 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:50 pm

what type of "hispanic"?

morningstar

Postby morningstar » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:05 pm

chimp wrote:what type of "hispanic"?

Mexican. I think I read Mexican and Puerto Rican are the two that get the URM boost, correct?

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:10 pm

morningstar wrote:Wow, thanks for doing that! He'd be happy at a t50, and $ is a consideration but not a deal breaker. Preferably a large market regional, he's undecided what he wants to do with it, but Big(gish)Law is a possibility.

It's not a realistic possibility at the schools he would likely get into. Unless you can get into the very top schools (which he almost certainly can't), it's not a good idea to attend law school without a pretty clear (and reasonably realistic) idea of what you want to do with your law degree.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:04 am

I would say don't go is TCR

Clyde Frog

Postby Clyde Frog » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:54 pm

Retake and score a few points higher, then go for NW.

morningstar

Postby morningstar » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:57 pm

Yeah, I think it's sound advice. I'm not sure he'll listen but I've put it out there. Because otherwise I'm pretty sure he'll end up with a JD he can't do anything with but chase ambulances. He's just finishing his applications now, so he's past deadline for just about anyone except the T999s. He's been calling around from what my friend says and getting exceptions to apply late, but with the late apply + low GPA, I don't think he'll have much luck.

Clyde Frog

Postby Clyde Frog » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:04 am

morningstar wrote:Yeah, I think it's sound advice. I'm not sure he'll listen but I've put it out there. Because otherwise I'm pretty sure he'll end up with a JD he can't do anything with but chase ambulances. He's just finishing his applications now, so he's past deadline for just about anyone except the T999s. He's been calling around from what my friend says and getting exceptions to apply late, but with the late apply + low GPA, I don't think he'll have much luck.

A 165 compared to a 170 is usually 6-7 questions. It can definitely be made up, especially if he did it without much study.

morningstar

Postby morningstar » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:25 am

But even if studying and retaking pushes him above 170, he's still in super-super-SUPER splitter territory with a 2.23 GPA. I know there are some schools that would be amenable to this probably (that list shows that much), but I'm guessing he's still going to be looking at sticker wherever he goes, right? In that case, does he go for the best school that he can get into in the hopes of leveraging that into a decent paying job? Or does he focus on finding a school with a lower COA and cost of living for the area?

Return to “What are my chances?”