159 / 3.4 / part URM - help?? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
lawgirl20

New

159 / 3.4 / part URM - help??

Post by lawgirl20 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:30 pm

Hi everyone,

I have a 3.4 in economics at a top 15 undergrad school. I know my GPA isn't stellar but my school's econ classes are extremely math heavy. I cancelled my Sept LSAT cause I got the stomach flu the night before and I started getting really sick during the test.

Choked on my Dec LSAT (a lot of anxiety) cause I have been PT'ing around 170-175 last 10 tests before Dec LSAT. I'm half black-half asian from extremely poor family (live in projects when I was younger). So far, I've gotten into 2 T25s with not much money. I'm thinking of retaking June to get off some waitlists or more scholly.

What score would be the lowest to advise waiting a cycle and reapplying?
I also have always wanted to be a lawyer and not sure what I would do with my life if I don't go to law school so any advice on that? Is working only 1 year too little??

Clemenceau

Silver

Re: 159 / 3.4 / part URM - help??

Post by Clemenceau » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:33 pm

Reapply next cycle, retake in june/october

Or dont go to law school. An econ major at a good school should be looking at some decent job prospects

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:37 pm

Yeah, def sit out a cycle. The June test isn't going to do you any favors this round. If you seriously are practicing in the low 170's, you're in awesome shape. Agree with Clemenceau though - econ at a top undergrad has very solid job prospects.

middlebear

Silver

Post by middlebear » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:00 pm

Sit out and retake, and go to a T14.

For working - it will help your applications to have any WE at all, so one year wouldn't be "too little" (though I think a lot of people do two, partially because companies don't want to hire and then have you leave in just a few months). I know a lot of people from my class with econ majors are doing consulting/iBanking/other related finance work.

lawgirl20

New

Post by lawgirl20 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:00 am

middlebear wrote:Sit out and retake, and go to a T14.

For working - it will help your applications to have any WE at all, so one year wouldn't be "too little" (though I think a lot of people do two, partially because companies don't want to hire and then have you leave in just a few months). I know a lot of people from my class with econ majors are doing consulting/iBanking/other related finance work.
Thanks for the advice. I was kinda worried about what a dick move that is to work a year and leave so I will consider 2!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

middlebear

Silver

Post by middlebear » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:09 am

lawgirl20 wrote:Thanks for the advice. I was kinda worried about what a dick move that is to work a year and leave so I will consider 2!
Np :) and for what it's worth, I actually ended up quitting after a year and a half, and I was fortunate enough to work with some great people that understood and were totally supportive. So just put yourself in an environment with good people that you can learn from, for however long that is (and if you can get a letter of rec out of them, all the better...)

zombie mcavoy

Bronze

Post by zombie mcavoy » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:12 am

lawgirl20 wrote:
middlebear wrote:Sit out and retake, and go to a T14.

Thanks for the advice. I was kinda worried about what a dick move that is to work a year and leave so I will consider 2!
it's not a dick move. It's not 1970. You've gotta look out for yourself.

You need to sit out, retake, and go to a T14, if you go at all. For someone in your position, going into bigdebt for some random, average law school is both a poor career move and a poor outcome coming from your undergrad.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”