What is a reasonable myLSN range for me?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
MattM

What is a reasonable myLSN range for me?

Postby MattM » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:04 pm

Hello,

Hispanic here....but non Mexican or Non PR

What is an appropriate range on myLSN for me to play around with? I have a 3.6 GPA

I feel this range is far too limited but hate to stretch out the GPA and LSAT too far that it is unreliable for URM/Exclude AA

LoganCouture

Re: What is a reasonable myLSN range for me?

Postby LoganCouture » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:06 pm

URM, exclude AA is for NA/MA/PR applicants.

MattM

Postby MattM » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:07 pm

Is this a bit better...or is the GPA too far stretched out? ( if I had to stretch out one over the other, I would rather do it for GPA than LSAT)

earthabides

Postby earthabides » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:10 pm

MattM wrote:Is this a bit better...or is the GPA too far stretched out? ( if I had to stretch out one over the other, I would rather do it for GPA than LSAT)

I'ts my understanding that if you are hispanic but not mexican or PR you get 0 URM boost.

MattM

Postby MattM » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:12 pm

lc39 wrote:Image

On some apps, doesn't it only ask if you are Hispanic and not what type? ( could be wrong, but I thought i saw that)

And also is there any data or links to support the TLS belief the only Hispanics to get a URM boost are MA or PR ?

LoganCouture

Postby LoganCouture » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:19 pm

MattM wrote:
lc39 wrote:Image

On some apps, doesn't it only ask if you are Hispanic and not what type? ( could be wrong, but I thought i saw that)

And also is there any data or links to support the TLS belief the only Hispanics to get a URM boost are MA or PR ?

Some schools do not ask for race/ethnicity information at all and still clearly favor URMs over non-URMs (e.g. Yale has no race question in their app) so they likely can request the info from LSAC, which does get into the specific groups.

Pretty sure some specific affirmative action related lawsuits have named the classic URM groups (AA, NA, PR, MA) but not sure which. Some examples of cases off the top of my head: Grutter v. Bollinger, UC Regents v. Bakke, Fisher v. UT.

Edit: To clarify, my belief is that non-URM Hispanic applicants get some boost but not to the same extent MAs/PRs do. However, it might be silly to think of this in terms of URM vs. non URM because I think there are considerable differences in how each URM group is looked at. If we were just talking about AAs, nonblack MAs, and nonblack Other Latinos, I would say that AA >> MA > Other. MA and Other are considered much more similarly, despite one being URM and one not, than AAs and MAs, both of whom are considered URMs. No source on this belief, other than my own biased/flawed opinion from watching people's cycles play out here/on LSN.

MattM

Postby MattM » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:07 pm

Edit: To clarify, my belief is that non-URM Hispanic applicants get some boost but not to the same extent MAs/PRs do. However, it might be silly to think of this in terms of URM vs. non URM because I think there are considerable differences in how each URM group is looked at. If we were just talking about AAs, nonblack MAs, and nonblack Other Latinos, I would say that AA >> MA > Other. MA and Other are considered much more similarly, despite one being URM and one not, than AAs and MAs, both of whom are considered URMs. No source on this belief, other than my own biased/flawed opinion from watching people's cycles play out here/on LSN.

I agree with this from what I've read ( maybe a little bit more biased) in that non URM Hispanics get a boost, but not as much as MA or PR do......What numbers should I put in on my LSN to reflect this?....GPA 3.6 PT range (168-172)....(I am only using PT range to play around with the potential outcomes since there is a huge difference between getting a 171 in the library and a 171 on test day)

Return to “What are my chances?”