Second UG Degree Concerns in Admissions

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!

Best Source for Predictions

myLSN
67%
LawSchoolNumbers
33%
LawSchoolPredictor
No votes
LSAC GPA/LSAT Probability Calculator
No votes
Other ( Mention in the comments)
No votes

Total votes: 6

Broncos15

Second UG Degree Concerns in Admissions

Postby Broncos15 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:59 pm

Hello,

New here and had a few questions regarding Law School admissions

I am gathering information on admissions and currently an undergrad ( Senior),...one of the options I am looking at is a dual degree in which case I would graduate with one degree in December and get my second undergrad degree later.....As I have read LSAC stops calculating GPA after you get your first degree, and anything after the first degree, the transcripts would still need to be sent in, but I have read the impact of your GPA after the first degree is minimal in admissions

Does this advice even hold true for "splitters"?.....I am at a 3.6 GPA right now and my concern is more hedged around if the GPA dropped in the second degree ( because if it stayed the same or rose it could only be good if only in a minimal sense)

If in a Hypo my LSAC GPA at graduation of the first degree was a 3.6....but my second UG degree after the first was a 3.3 .......Would I be basically looked at as a 3.6 candidate? ...or would the lower second degree have Admissions officers view me as a 3.45 which is a bit below many of the T14's lower 25%

Thanks! Wondering as this is one of the ( several) factors I am weighing out in this
Last edited by Broncos15 on Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

RZ5646

Re: Second UG Degree Concerns in Admissions

Postby RZ5646 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:06 am

You'd still be a 3.6 but if you're going to be a splitter then an even lower second GPA certainly wouldn't be helpful. It would be better to have a 3.6 + "he got his shit together and got a 3.95 in his second degree" as a soft factor to allay any worries they have about your work ethic or academic ability.

Broncos15

Postby Broncos15 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:24 am

^ I don't want to make the assumption that if I put in hard work -------> higher GPA so that's why I ask.

Yes there is a correlation between those two, but I don't want to make that assumption that will be the result, no guarantee of a 3.96 in second degree

zombie mcavoy

Postby zombie mcavoy » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:52 am

Why are you possibly considering getting a second ug degree before attending law school?

Broncos15

Postby Broncos15 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:07 am

zombie mcavoy wrote:Why are you possibly considering getting a second ug degree before attending law school?

To get a more useful degree in case law school doesn't pan out/change my mind about it before entering. I have a liberal arts degree which won't get me too far ( not why I am planning on law school, but just to give an idea of my limited options with only one degree)

I am risk adverse and have read about the high #'s of debt/ unemployment

KMart

Postby KMart » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:09 am

With regards to your poll, two of the options are essentially the same option (1 & 2).

Broncos15

Postby Broncos15 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:14 am

If I did go which of these in the above poll is the most useful.....based off the little I have read Law School Predictor is a bit too conservative in regards to the recent decline for Fall 2014 and Fall 2015 applicants

downbeat14

Postby downbeat14 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:28 am

Last edited by downbeat14 on Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zombie mcavoy

Postby zombie mcavoy » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:26 am

Broncos15 wrote:
zombie mcavoy wrote:Why are you possibly considering getting a second ug degree before attending law school?

To get a more useful degree in case law school doesn't pan out/change my mind about it before entering. I have a liberal arts degree which won't get me too far ( not why I am planning on law school, but just to give an idea of my limited options with only one degree)

I am risk adverse and have read about the high #'s of debt/ unemployment

this seems like a really strange plan but ok. Good luck.

Grunt2Grad

Postby Grunt2Grad » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:37 pm

Broncos15 wrote:^ I don't want to make the assumption that if I put in hard work -------> higher GPA so that's why I ask.

Yes there is a correlation between those two, but I don't want to make that assumption that will be the result, no guarantee of a 3.96 in second degree

Isnt that essentially what you are doing but with the LSAT by predicting that you will be a Splitter? The biggest mistake I made in my application cycle was trying to predict outcomes without having my reportable GPA and LSAT score.

Return to “What are my chances?”