How accurate is myLSN with $$ info?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Broncos15

How accurate is myLSN with $$ info?

Postby Broncos15 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:05 am

Hey!

I am new to this forum and wanted to know how accurate myLSN is in its predictions of $$ chances compared to actual outcomes?

Is it any lower than the actual outcomes because people may not take the time/effort to put their Scholarship offers on their profile when putting their acceptance / deny stats

js1663

Re: How accurate is myLSN with $$ info?

Postby js1663 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:12 am

Chances are it's lower both because people don't always list scholarship info and because people often withdraw before scholarship info comes out or don't bother applying for it once they have better options. (i.e. someone accepted at Yale might withdraw from UChicago before scholarship decisions are emailed out if they feel they'd take Yale over the top scholarship offer at UChicago).

Robb

Postby Robb » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:16 am

Broncos15 wrote:Hey!

I am new to this forum and wanted to know how accurate myLSN is in its predictions of $$ chances compared to actual outcomes?

Is it any lower than the actual outcomes because people may not take the time/effort to put their Scholarship offers on their profile when putting their acceptance / deny stats

The "average money" is not lower because people don't put in a scholarship, but the % will be.

Say LSN has these three users for school ABCXYZ:

1. Admit - $5,000
2. Admit - $120,000
3. Admit - $0

First, MyLSN tries to adjust the scholarship values. It interprets user 1's value as being for 1 year, and user 2's value as being for 3 years. So, this is the adjustment:

1. Admit - $15,000
2. Admit - $120,000
3. Admit - $0

Then, it calculates the average scholarship received, among those who received scholarship. In this case: $67,500 (I believe this number is also rounded)

Then, it calculates the percent of people who received a scholarship. In this case, 67%.

So, for this particular candidate pool, it would spit out: 67% / $67,500.

As to how accurate it is? It's 100% accurate looking back, in the sense that it reflects reported outcomes on LSN, but its predictive value is going to be very limited. I wouldn't take it for much.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:15 pm

I would recommend just looking at individual profiles on LSN, you can get a better idea that way

DCfilterDC

Postby DCfilterDC » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:18 pm

While Robb's in this thread, I was hoping to find out if mylsn pulls information from hidden profiles on lsn.com? Does a profile have to be unhidden in order for the data to be included?

Robb

Postby Robb » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:47 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:While Robb's in this thread, I was hoping to find out if mylsn pulls information from hidden profiles on lsn.com? Does a profile have to be unhidden in order for the data to be included?

Sorry, I just saw this now. Yes, the profile needs to be publicly viewable, mylsn is not affiliated with LSN and so does not get any data that anyone else could not get.

There is somewhat of an exception... if someone's profile is public, and they later delete it or make it private, the information will still be on mylsn until the next full scrape occurs (the last one typically occurs around September of the next cycle... so if someone removed their profile for the 2013-2014 cycle after September of 2014, it would be semi-permanently on mylsn).

Return to “What are my chances?”