Chances at University of Denver Sturm - 3.3 GPA and 156 LSAT

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Aspen285

Chances at University of Denver Sturm - 3.3 GPA and 156 LSAT

Postby Aspen285 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:04 am

I live in the Denver area and can't relocate my family, so I will probably only apply at DU. I'm an older student looking to get into the evening program. I have many years of work experience (some of it litigation related) in the field in which I would like to practice. My recommendations will be only from employers and lawyers I've worked with because none of my professors would remember me now. My UGPA is 3.3, but my LSDAS might be lower because I transferred colleges at one point. I just requested my transcripts so I'm waiting to see.

WhiskeyAndCupcakes

Re: Chances at University of Denver Sturm - 3.3 GPA and 156 LSAT

Postby WhiskeyAndCupcakes » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:20 am

Last edited by WhiskeyAndCupcakes on Fri May 29, 2015 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zombie mcavoy

Postby zombie mcavoy » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:25 am

Even if you can get in at present you're going to want to retake so you can get a better scholarship. Paying > 120K tuition -- even if you're not debt financing -- is just a terrible investment at a school like Denver, where > 40% of grads are unemployed and less than 10% are getting salaries that would come close to justifying such a cost.

Aspen285

Postby Aspen285 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:43 am

Yes, evening and part time are the same thing at DU.

I saw so many people post that their LSAT stayed the same or went down in the Feb Waiter's Circus that I'm not sure I want to bother retaking in June. I probably should though, right?

I'm not that worried about the general job market based on my field of expertise.

Thank you sincerely for your responses!

zombie mcavoy

Postby zombie mcavoy » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:49 am

Aspen285 wrote:Yes, evening and part time are the same thing at DU.

I saw so many people post that their LSAT stayed the same or went down in the Feb Waiter's Circus that I'm not sure I want to bother retaking in June. I probably should though, right?

I'm not that worried about the general job market based on my field of expertise.

well sure but who gives a shit about what some random sample of 20-year-olds report on their personal experiences. No offense, but 156 is not a very good score; as someone who sounds like they have some legit professional experience, you can certainly do better. You have nothing to lose and a lot of money to be made by retaking, just come up with a better study system this time.

Don't settle for anything close to sticker; you will regret it. Good luck.

Aspen285

Postby Aspen285 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:54 am

zombie mcavoy wrote:
Aspen285 wrote:Yes, evening and part time are the same thing at DU.

well sure but who gives a shit about what some random sample of 20-year-olds report on their personal experiences. No offense, but 156 is not a very good score; as someone who sounds like they have some legit professional experience, you can certainly do better. You have nothing to lose and a lot of money to be made by retaking, just come up with a better study system this time.

Don't settle for anything close to sticker; you will regret it. Good luck.

Thank you for this advice. I did not prepare as much as I should have for the LSAT. I had signed up and paid for an LSAT prep course, but it was cancelled at the last minute due to low enrollment and they sent me a refund. I couldn't find another course that wasn't just online. I think I did fine except for on the LG. I can do the games, but not even close to fast enough to finish and straight guessed on two whole games.

WhiskeyAndCupcakes

Postby WhiskeyAndCupcakes » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:01 am

Last edited by WhiskeyAndCupcakes on Fri May 29, 2015 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:59 am

in that case you need to do this.logic games is the easiest section when you actually prepare. Don't take a class. Use the resources in the lsat forum on this website and come up with a self study plan with the proper materials; you'll do just fine.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:48 am

Check out http://www.mylsn.info for chances

joeschmoe

Postby joeschmoe » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:07 am

FWIW, I have similar numbers and was accepted to their full-time program with over a 2/3 scholarship. Even at that price it doesn't seem worth it for me to attend. While I understand this is anecdotal, it might give you some perspective on the matter. Good luck! :D

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:34 pm

Aspen285 wrote:I saw so many people post that their LSAT stayed the same or went down in the Feb Waiter's Circus that I'm not sure I want to bother retaking in June. I probably should though, right?

Yes, you should. Never again will there be such a large payoff for so little effort on your part. Diligently drilling LG can have massive returns. You owe it to your future self to retake.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:23 am

Dirigo wrote:
Aspen285 wrote:I saw so many people post that their LSAT stayed the same or went down in the Feb Waiter's Circus that I'm not sure I want to bother retaking in June. I probably should though, right?

Yes, you should. Never again will there be such a large payoff for so little effort on your part. Diligently drilling LG can have massive returns. You owe it to your future self to retake.

Echoing all of this.

You're talking tens of thousands of dollars (maybe six figures) to study for and retake a stupid test. And a very learnable one at that. Denver sounds like it makes sense for your situation, but you should be going for virtually free.

Aspen285

Postby Aspen285 » Wed May 06, 2015 8:59 pm

I just got my admitted email to DU. I didn't apply until April 15th, which is the deadline, because I couldn't decide if I wanted to go, and I'm still not sure. My "congratulations" email does not mention any scholarship award. Does anyone know if that means I'm not getting anything?

By the way, although my degree GPA was 3.3, my LSAC GPA (which had not been computed at the time) turned out to be only 3.15 because of some transfer hours. I only mention that in case someone else has similar numbers.

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Thu May 07, 2015 5:23 am

Aspen285 wrote:My "congratulations" email does not mention any scholarship award. Does anyone know if that means I'm not getting anything?

Congratulations on your acceptance. It doesn't mean anything. Most schools will send their scholarship information separately. Hope you get a good package OP.

Return to “What are my chances?”