Aneddotal advice, 168/3.5 Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
WhiteHouse

Bronze

Aneddotal advice, 168/3.5

Post by WhiteHouse » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:52 am

Mylsn is a great resource and I know this, but I'm afraid that the range I am putting in produces unrealistic results since every point on the LSAT is so critical at this point. I really would appreciate any anecdotal advice, rather than a snapshot of mylsn.

GPA: 3.5 (top 10 liberal arts)
LSAT: 168 (can't retake)
Non-URM
Softs: Teach for America, other strong softs, strong recs, etc.

Schools I'm looking at:

GW, Georgetown, Duke, Cornell, UVA, Penn, Vanderbilt, Emory.

I plan on applying early, and money is not particularly an issue. I'm just wondering if I'm competitive at any/all of these. Thanks!

bjsesq

Diamond

Re: Aneddotal advice, 168/3.5

Post by bjsesq » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:54 am

WhiteHouse wrote:Mylsn is a great resource and I know this, but I'm afraid that the range I am putting in produces unrealistic results since every point on the LSAT is so critical at this point. I really would appreciate any anecdotal advice, rather than a snapshot of mylsn.

Non-URM

Schools I'm looking at:

I plan on applying early, and money is not particularly an issue. I'm just wondering if I'm competitive at any/all of these. Thanks!
LSN is nothing more than snapshots of anecdotes. Do you just want story time from someone similar?

WhiteHouse

Bronze

Post by WhiteHouse » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:56 am

bjsesq wrote:
WhiteHouse wrote:Mylsn is a great resource and I know this, but I'm afraid that the range I am putting in produces unrealistic results since every point on the LSAT is so critical at this point. I really would appreciate any anecdotal advice, rather than a snapshot of mylsn.

Non-URM

Schools I'm looking at:

LSN is nothing more than snapshots of anecdotes. Do you just want story time from someone similar?
I mean I'm all about the numbers, but I was curious if someone with similar stats could help with "should I apply ED anywhere," "should I not bother with any of them" etc. etc.

I also like storytime

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:04 am

TFA seems like a nice soft but doubt it would get you in anywhere you wouldn't otherwise.

You don't really have anything that would suggest you would outperform your numbers. Mylsn is your best source for chances. You can toggle on and off ED to see where you might get a boost.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:05 am

WhiteHouse wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

Non-URM

Schools I'm looking at:

I mean I'm all about the numbers, but I was curious if someone with similar stats could help with "should I apply ED anywhere," "should I not bother with any of them" etc. etc.

I also like storytime
I can't help with numbers, as I applied a long time ago. I can help with story time, though.

Lots of my friends have babies, but I don't have any babies. But I have lots of friends; babies don't have any friends. They all have those baby-monitors so they can hear the baby from the other room, which I consider a form of wiretapping. One day there's gonna be a really smart baby who makes a fake recording of some fake baby noises...gonna crawl out of the window and go to Italy. I need one of those baby-monitors for my subconscious to my consciousness so I can know what the hell I'm really thinking about. Sometimes I talk to myself fluently in languages I'm unfamiliar with... just to screw with my subconscious. It's a good thing a lot of people speak foreign languages, otherwise those people would have no one to talk to.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:15 am

I had this girlfriend who was almost psychotically anti-religion. Look, I'm not a spiritual guy, but I don't hate religion. So one night, I'd had enough of her ranting and I ask her: "What the fuck is you problem with religion?" She told me about how when she was 12, her mom and dad hung a 30 pound cross up above the head of her bed. One late night, without warning it comes crashing down and leaves a 2 inch gash in the back of her dad's head.

musedreverie

Bronze

Post by musedreverie » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:46 am

bjsesq wrote:I had this girlfriend who was almost psychotically anti-religion. Look, I'm not a spiritual guy, but I don't hate religion. So one night, I'd had enough of her ranting and I ask her: "What the fuck is you problem with religion?" She told me about how when she was 12, her mom and dad hung a 30 pound cross up above the head of her bed. One late night, without warning it comes crashing down and leaves a 2 inch gash in the back of her dad's head.
I can see why you're the TLS poet laureate. Touching story you've got there

OP: I think the point the laureate is trying to make is that anecdotes don't really matter when it comes to admissions. I think the best prediction you could get out of your numbers and softs are predictions based solely (or mostly) on your numbers. This isn't to say your softs are nothing--I think they're good actually, but law school admissions are just like that.

WhiteHouse

Bronze

Post by WhiteHouse » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:32 pm

musedreverie wrote:
bjsesq wrote:I had this girlfriend who was almost psychotically anti-religion. Look, I'm not a spiritual guy, but I don't hate religion. So one night, I'd had enough of her ranting and I ask her: "What the fuck is you problem with religion?" She told me about how when she was 12, her mom and dad hung a 30 pound cross up above the head of her bed. One late night, without warning it comes crashing down and leaves a 2 inch gash in the back of her dad's head.

OP: I think the point the laureate is trying to make is that anecdotes don't really matter when it comes to admissions. I think the best prediction you could get out of your numbers and softs are predictions based solely (or mostly) on your numbers. This isn't to say your softs are nothing--I think they're good actually, but law school admissions are just like that.

Thanks. Maybe you could help me interpret MyLSN a bit. If I got a 168, should I realistically only judge people with 168s? How wrong would it be to compare myself to the pool of 167s and 169s. I know medians are everything at that point and one point can be a big difference. Is it too much to read into the 167-169 range? or is that acceptable? Same thing with the GPA. I figured a 3.5-3.6 range would be appropriate, but I don't know how different a 3.6 is treated compared to a 3.5. (I'm somewhere in between). I know this may sound neurotic, but I'm just curious

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:41 pm

WhiteHouse wrote:
musedreverie wrote:

Thanks. Maybe you could help me interpret MyLSN a bit. If I got a 168, should I realistically only judge people with 168s? How wrong would it be to compare myself to the pool of 167s and 169s. I know medians are everything at that point and one point can be a big difference. Is it too much to read into the 167-169 range? or is that acceptable? Same thing with the GPA. I figured a 3.5-3.6 range would be appropriate, but I don't know how different a 3.6 is treated compared to a 3.5. (I'm somewhere in between). I know this may sound neurotic, but I'm just curious
3.4-3.6 is probably a fair enough range, same with 3.5-3.6. The lsat is trickier because that's in a range where every point matters. I think 167-168 is probably fair, including 169 might skew things and I think 170 would really skew things, especially if you include like the last 5 cycles or so. 170 used to be most medians, then it dropped to 169. Being at median LSAT is huge for schools like UVA.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

stoopkid13

Bronze

Post by stoopkid13 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:28 am

Anecdotally, I have a friend in TFA with a 169 and similar GPA who got in to most of the lower t-14. But I'm not sure why you would give greater weight to that single data point than the many more data points you'd get through LSN. Also, with regards to LSAT, you could always looked at the ranged charts, which should show you outcomes for 167/GPA, 168/GPA, 169/GPA etc for comparison.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:17 am

If money really doesn't matter and you're confident enough in your own lack of intelligence that you know you won't improve on a retake then you should ED to whichever school you prefer out of those with 168 medians. There could be a couple more in that category by the time this cycle is over.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:59 pm

I agree with Tiago but make sure you are EXTREMELY confident in your own lack of intelligence before deciding not to retake.

keosu11

Bronze

Post by keosu11 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:28 pm

Sending you a PM

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

WhiteHouse

Bronze

Post by WhiteHouse » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:31 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:If money really doesn't matter and you're confident enough in your own lack of intelligence that you know you won't improve on a retake then you should ED to whichever school you prefer out of those with 168 medians. There could be a couple more in that category by the time this cycle is over.
Thank you. And for the record, I've taken it 3 times, which is the reason I cannot retake.

ub3r

Bronze

Post by ub3r » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:42 pm

bjsesq wrote:I can't help with numbers, as I applied a long time ago. I can help with story time, though.

Lots of my friends have babies, but I don't have any babies. But I have lots of friends; babies don't have any friends. They all have those baby-monitors so they can hear the baby from the other room, which I consider a form of wiretapping. One day there's gonna be a really smart baby who makes a fake recording of some fake baby noises...gonna crawl out of the window and go to Italy. I need one of those baby-monitors for my subconscious to my consciousness so I can know what the hell I'm really thinking about. Sometimes I talk to myself fluently in languages I'm unfamiliar with... just to screw with my subconscious. It's a good thing a lot of people speak foreign languages, otherwise those people would have no one to talk to.
My reaction to reading this post

RareExports

Silver

Post by RareExports » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:12 pm

This cycle you would have most likely gotten in at GW ($$), Georgetown, Cornell, Vanderbilt, and Emory ($$$). Next cycle shouldn't be drastically different.

ETA: I know multiple people this cycle with those numbers that have gotten the above results.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”