Chances?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
BangShootBang

Chances?

Postby BangShootBang » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:42 pm

164/4.00 (large public)

Cornell, UPENN, NYU, Duke, UCLA

Anything helps, this is my first post so please nice comments only :)

ballcaps

Re: Chances?

Postby ballcaps » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:47 pm

heads up, lots of people will soon be clamoring "retake," since you have an insane gpa and could go anywhere if you scored a little higher.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:50 pm

Check out http://www.mylsn.info for chances

Definitely sign up for the June LSAT.

BangShootBang

Postby BangShootBang » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:52 pm

[quote="ballcaps"][url=http://mylsn.info/yg2kaq][img]http://myLSN.info/yg2kaq_1-14.jpg[/img][/url]

heads up, lots of people will soon be clamoring "retake," since you have an insane gpa and could go anywhere if you scored a little higher.[/quote]

I have already sent in all my applications and I just don't know what I would do for a year (graduating this spring) if I were to take June or October

Do you think these calculators are always right? and if every school has had my stuff since december do you think Ill have some answers soon?

4LTsPointingNorth

Postby 4LTsPointingNorth » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:06 pm

I'm also a relatively new poster, so I'll choose to be nice.

You have a stellar GPA and an okay LSAT. If you decide to go to law school this cycle instead of retaking, you can surely attend an okay-to-good law school. The fact that you don't have post-college work experience and don't have much idea of an alternate way to spend a year suggests that you probably won't outperform your numbers. Thus, you should expect anywhere from a manageable to an irresponsible level of debt after three years of tuition and cost of living. You can also expect anywhere from low-to-medium job prospects, and no prospects for the truly "unicorn", top legal jobs.

Give your stellar GPA, however, you have the potential for a top three law school at a manageable level of debt or a lower top 6 - top 14 law school at an enviably low level of next-to-no debt.

Even if you do nothing else with a year off other than study for the LSAT and raise your score by 6 to 9 points, you will have just completed the single most important year of your life with respect to your legal, professional career. You will suddenly become competitive for the absolute top jobs, and if and when you realize that you have to come hate those jobs, you will find yourself still competitive for other enviable jobs after that.

There is literally no single more important decision in your life right now than gauging whether to take a year off to retake, apply for grown-up jobs, and prepare yourself for law school or to take your stellar GPA and your okay LSAT this year and try to finagle them into a "meh, I guess that's okay" type of law school offer this cycle.

I want to sincerely congratulate you on your awesome GPA. You're clearly intelligent enough to distinguish between the relative costs and benefits of short-term uncertainty (i.e., taking a gap year and retaking) versus long-term freedom and opportunity (i.e., taking a year to improve your score, and maybe, but not necessarily, acquire meaningful work experience.)

I hope for the sake of the 25 year old, 30 year old, 35 year old, etc. version of you that you exercise the courage and good judgment to choose the latter.

BangShootBang

Postby BangShootBang » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:28 pm

4LTsPointingNorth wrote:I'm also a relatively new poster, so I'll choose to be nice.

You have a stellar GPA and an okay LSAT. If you decide to go to law school this cycle instead of retaking, you can surely attend an okay-to-good law school. The fact that you don't have post-college work experience and don't have much idea of an alternate way to spend a year suggests that you probably won't outperform your numbers. Thus, you should expect anywhere from a manageable to an irresponsible level of debt after three years of tuition and cost of living. You can also expect anywhere from low-to-medium job prospects, and no prospects for the truly "unicorn", top legal jobs.

Give your stellar GPA, however, you have the potential for a top three law school at a manageable level of debt or a lower top 6 - top 14 law school at an enviably low level of next-to-no debt.

Even if you do nothing else with a year off other than study for the LSAT and raise your score by 6 to 9 points, you will have just completed the single most important year of your life with respect to your legal, professional career. You will suddenly become competitive for the absolute top jobs, and if and when you realize that you have to come hate those jobs, you will find yourself still competitive for other enviable jobs after that.

There is literally no single more important decision in your life right now than gauging whether to take a year off to retake, apply for grown-up jobs, and prepare yourself for law school or to take your stellar GPA and your okay LSAT this year and try to finagle them into a "meh, I guess that's okay" type of law school offer this cycle.

I want to sincerely congratulate you on your awesome GPA. You're clearly intelligent enough to distinguish between the relative costs and benefits of short-term uncertainty (i.e., taking a gap year and retaking) versus long-term freedom and opportunity (i.e., taking a year to improve your score, and maybe, but not necessarily, acquire meaningful work experience.)

I hope for the sake of the 25 year old, 30 year old, 35 year old, etc. version of you that you exercise the courage and good judgment to choose the latter.

Thank you for taking the time to write all of this out. I clearly have a lot to think about. In your opinion, if I were to take the year off, do you think I should wait to see which schools I get into and decide from there? or start studying as soon as I can? Thank you again for you input (and being nice haha) and if I begin preparing soon, would it be okay to take October?

4LTsPointingNorth

Postby 4LTsPointingNorth » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:38 pm

BangShootBang wrote:
4LTsPointingNorth wrote:I'm also a relatively new poster, so I'll choose to be nice.

Thank you for taking the time to write all of this out. I clearly have a lot to think about. In your opinion, if I were to take the year off, do you think I should wait to see which schools I get into and decide from there? or start studying as soon as I can? Thank you again for you input (and being nice haha) and if I begin preparing soon, would it be okay to take October?

You're welcome. October is fine if you feel prepared by then. You can always retake again in December. Start studying as soon as you can. If you're still in school, don't let your GPA dip; delay studying until graduation if you must.

Unless you have unlimited financial resources and debt is not a possibility this cycle, I would view the range of schools you get into this year as strictly instructive. If you're tempted to accept a less than optimal offer (with your GPA, you should be aiming for a T3 or a full scholarship to a T6 next cycle), instead take pride in the fact that the best schools you squeak into this cycle will likely be dismissed as safety schools next cycle should your LSAT improve sufficiently.

BangShootBang

Postby BangShootBang » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:47 pm

4LTsPointingNorth wrote:
BangShootBang wrote:

You're welcome. October is fine if you feel prepared by then. You can always retake again in December. Start studying as soon as you can. If you're still in school, don't let your GPA dip; delay studying until graduation if you must.

Unless you have unlimited financial resources and debt is not a possibility this cycle, I would view the range of schools you get into this year as strictly instructive. If you're tempted to accept a less than optimal offer (with your GPA, you should be aiming for a T3 or a full scholarship to a T6 next cycle), instead take pride in the fact that the best schools you squeak into this cycle will likely be dismissed as safety schools next cycle should your LSAT improve sufficiently.

I will probably postpone studying until graduation, which is right around the corner anyway. I will post again with an update as far as my acceptances/WL/rejections.....Hopefully we will be able to talk then. Thank you again for your help!

Return to “What are my chances?”