Input please. 170 practice lsat. 2.8 uga

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Willylaw16

Input please. 170 practice lsat. 2.8 uga

Postby Willylaw16 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:48 pm

I'm going to apply for law school in 2016 and I like most people here am wondering what my chances are. I've listed my bio below. Let me know where you think I have the best chance to get in.

-Black male
-170 on first practice lsat
-Undergrad: University of Virginia 2.8, spanish major
-Grad school:George Washington Univ, 3.7, accounting
-I've worked worked full time for the past 10 years since getting out of undergrad including while I was going to grad school full time.
-Did tax at a big 4 accounting firm (hard to get hired by a big 4 firm for those who aren't familiar)
-Speak a foreign language

ILoveYou

Re: Input please. 170 practice lsat. 2.8 uga

Postby ILoveYou » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:54 pm

You sound directly up the center of Northwestern's alley. Low UGPA hurts, but much higher in grad school and 10 years of apparently impressive WE help offset that I would think. Especially considering the 170 was your 1st PT, there's no reason you shouldn't get a 175+. You probably have some kind of shot at all of the lower t-14, and the higher aren't completely out of the question. Best of luck.

mvp99

Postby mvp99 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:57 pm

Willylaw16 wrote:I'm going to apply for law school in 2016 and I like most people here am wondering what my chances are. I've listed my bio below. Let me know where you think I have the best chance to get in.

-Black male
-170 on first practice lsat
-Undergrad: University of Virginia 2.8, spanish major
-Grad school:George Washington Univ, 3.7, accounting
-I've worked worked full time for the past 10 years since getting out of undergrad including while I was going to grad school full time.
-Did tax at a big 4 accounting firm (hard to get hired by a big 4 firm for those who aren't familiar)
-Speak a foreign language

Get that 170+ LSAT and you'll be set for a lower t-14 at least.

Also, it is isn't thaaaat hard to get hired at a big4 to the point that it would makes a difference (not even sure it would even if it was incredibly selective). It does show that you can take grueling hours of ridiculous work.

Hikikomorist

Postby Hikikomorist » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:49 pm

Last edited by Hikikomorist on Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Willylaw16

Postby Willylaw16 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:27 am

Yes it was a full, timed test

RareExports

Postby RareExports » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:02 pm

Unfortunately, you grad GPA won't help at all, but I think you've got a pretty solid chance at most of the lower T14. It seems like there's a lot more emphasis on work experience (of which you have both quality and quantity) recently, and there are relatively few 170+ URMs. You might get hit with a lot of waitlists as schools solidify their GPA quartiles, but at the same time, I think you'd be an ideal candidate to take off of a waitlist. I would be surprised if you didn't get into at least 2 T14s.

As others have mentioned, with a 171+ you start to have a real shot at CCN. Hit the LSAT practice (and don't be afraid to take the actual test multiple times), write strong apps, and be prepared to stick out the waitlists. Best of luck!

MattM

Postby MattM » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:46 am

6778628 wrote:Unfortunately, you grad GPA won't help at all, but I think you've got a pretty solid chance at most of the lower T14. It seems like there's a lot more emphasis on work experience (of which you have both quality and quantity) recently, and there are relatively few 170+ URMs. You might get hit with a lot of waitlists as schools solidify their GPA quartiles, but at the same time, I think you'd be an ideal candidate to take off of a waitlist. I would be surprised if you didn't get into at least 2 T14s.

As others have mentioned, with a 171+ you start to have a real shot at CCN. Hit the LSAT practice (and don't be afraid to take the actual test multiple times), write strong apps, and be prepared to stick out the waitlists. Best of luck!

I think Grad School GPA will help but only slightly. I don't see Grad school GPA being ignored entirely...Lets say in a hypo you had a 4.0 LSAC GPA but then partied too hard in grad school and got a 3.0 gpa.... my guess is that person would likely out at the T6....URM will provide a larger boost however

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:01 am

Only practice law schools accept practice lsats. Cop that real score first.

Return to “What are my chances?”