2.3x(LSAC)/1 year to LSAT/8yrs Army

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
armyryan

2.3x(LSAC)/1 year to LSAT/8yrs Army

Postby armyryan » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:29 pm

Acknowledge LSAC GPA is atrocious.
Not planning on applying till next fall, so anticipate taking LSAT next Feb with Oct if re-take needed.
Will have 8 years service and rank of Captain at time of application.
Have excelled at leading combat organizations at multiple levels:
Reconaissance Platoon Leader in Iraq (led ~35 soldiers).
Executive Officer (2nd in Command) of a Company (~100 soldiers) twice .
Will have been a Company Commander twice (so, have led ~100 person organization twice).
~1 year as succesful primary planner for 400+ person missions.

Really just sucked in undergrad and was pretty listless, couldn't find purpose in life. Joined the Army, found I loved being a leader and taking care of others, and have excelled - but have always wanted to pursue law. Have 1.5 years till I get out and have at least a year to study for LSAT.

Will stellar LSAT + WE/Leadership/softs be enough to overcome UGPA? Not talking HYS, but possibly NU or other splitter-friendly schools? FWIW, am a Texas resident and will use GI Bill/Yellow Ribbon, so lack of scholarships will not be a concern. Thanks in advance.

Ryan

Tiago Splitter

Re: 2.3x(LSAC)/1 year to LSAT/8yrs Army

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:35 pm

Just get a 170+ and you'll be fine. That score probably requires some hard work but it sounds like you're down. Your best bet is likely Northwestern if you can get the 170, and you might not even need to score quite that high

js1663

Postby js1663 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:40 pm

Northwestern is probably your best shot at a T14 and considering the amount of years, military softs, and if you can get a good LSAT score (170+) you should have a pretty good shot there. All the other T14's seem like a hail mary at best - there is very limited data available on mylsn.info for this but it looks like Northwestern is the exception and is pretty accepting and forgiving of low uGPA.

http://mylsn.info/vnevnj/

4LTsPointingNorth

Postby 4LTsPointingNorth » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:57 pm

found I loved being a leader and taking care of others, and have excelled
As a fellow service member, and just as an FYI, you won't initially (for a very long time) get any opportunity to be true leader in any sense of the word in your first few years practicing law. At the pinnacle of your legal career, you may become an invaluable adviser, but unlike in company command, you will not be a true decision maker. In considering the balance between your restrictive uGPA and your very leverage-able military leadership experience, you will be best served (and most likely, happiest) seeking leadership, decision making roles in business. So, take a good long look at this forum and other sources to accurately gauge what exactly you would be getting into if you do decide to pursue a career in law.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:05 am

4LTsPointingNorth wrote:
found I loved being a leader and taking care of others, and have excelled
As a fellow service member, and just as an FYI, you won't initially (for a very long time) get any opportunity to be true leader in any sense of the word in your first few years practicing law. At the pinnacle of your legal career, you may become an invaluable adviser, but unlike in company command, you will not be a true decision maker. In considering the balance between your restrictive uGPA and your very leverage-able military leadership experience, you will be best served (and most likely, happiest) seeking leadership, decision making roles in business. So, take a good long look at this forum and other sources to accurately gauge what exactly you would be getting into if you do decide to pursue a career in law.

I kinda think this applies mostly to biglaw. I run my own cases and make lots and lots of decisions.

armyryan

Postby armyryan » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:08 am

Thanks for the thoughts, and for the myLSN link. Will keep focusing on LSAT prep and worry about the rest when I have an actual score.

4LT's, appreciate the sentiment. Roger on enjoying the leadersip part, but really the
but have always wanted to pursue law.
part is where I am now. After 8 years and 2 commands under my belt, the desire to pursue law is still there. I don't feel like im making the Law School vs B-School vs Headhunter choice on a whim, but I can appreciate the wisdom.

Ryan

DiniMae

Postby DiniMae » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:18 pm

Op, please reach out to service2school for some insight from prior officers.

armyryan

Postby armyryan » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:49 pm

Awesome resource, thanks!

Nomo

Postby Nomo » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:21 pm

Out of curiosity, are you considering staying in the Army and doing JAG? If not, why not?

armyryan

Postby armyryan » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:47 am

Nomo, am not planning on doing JAG. I love the Army for the experiences and the opportunities it has given me and wouldn't do anything differently, but am ready for a change. Would consider working for JAG on the civilian side, but am looking forward to not having to fill out a pass every time I want to travel more than a few hundred miles or cut my weekend with loved ones short because a soldier made a poor choice. Are you active duty currently?

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:51 am

Hey Ryan,

There are quite a few AD types and reserves around here. We tend to keep a tight community. Enjoy the Vet thread, because there is a wealth of info there.

As for your chances, you NEED to hit 170 for the outcome you're looking for. Your GPA sucks, but you can still have a good outcome with the right LSAT.

Hit it hard brother, and get that 170.

armyryan

Postby armyryan » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:01 am

Ramius, ack all, thanks brother. Have been trolling the Vet thread, lots of good info. Am wondering whether a year is too long to study for LSAT...will be in command the whole time but am sort of concerned I'll run out of PT's even with the time-suck of command.

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:15 am

armyryan wrote:Ramius, ack all, thanks brother. Have been trolling the Vet thread, lots of good info. Am wondering whether a year is too long to study for LSAT...will be in command the whole time but am sort of concerned I'll run out of PT's even with the time-suck of command.

Did 8 months deployed in LSAT prep. I'm a squid and an officer, but I fit in PTs every chance I got between watches. There is always stuff on the platter, and time management becomes even more crucial. I even had to set up my LSAT overseas while deployed, which was rough.

You'll need the full year to figure it all out, but by the time it's done, you'll be happy you spent an entire year prepping for this test if you really think law school is what you want to do.

armyryan

Postby armyryan » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:43 am

Word. Makes sense, know people have had it way worse and excelled. Just need to suck it up and drive on. Thanks brother.

Return to “What are my chances?”