Is it hit or miss?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
ltowns1

Is it hit or miss?

Postby ltowns1 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:39 pm

does your first score matter in terms of acceptance in the t-14 if you scored lower than you hoped? So in other words, do I have to knock it out of the park with my first LSAT score to be accepted into Harvard, Univiersity of Chicago, Duke, and the rest of the t-14?? Or do I have some wiggle room?

For example, let's say I score a 150 on my first test, and I score a 174 on my second. Would the schools I mentioned still view me as competitive?

Dog

Re: Is it hit or miss?

Postby Dog » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:56 pm

ltowns1 wrote:does your first score matter in terms of acceptance in the t-14 if you scored lower than you hoped? So in other words, do I have to knock it out of the park with my first LSAT score to be accepted into Harvard, Univiersity of Chicago, Duke, and the rest of the t-14?? Or do I have some wiggle room?

For example, let's say I score a 150 on my first test, and I score a 174 on my second. Would the schools I mentioned still view me as competitive?

You'd be fine. Schools might favor an applicant with the same score and one take, but USNWR only counts the highest score so schools will overlook other takes too. That's pretty atypical improvement though. I doubt there are many retakers going from below 50th percentile to 99th percentile.

BrazilBandit

Postby BrazilBandit » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:01 pm

yeah it's one thing if you feel sick or just bomb the test, but If you think you are only capable of scoring 150 at this time, don't take it! Get your PT average to 170+ and then take it three times, since you can always lose or gain a point on luck alone. This one point may be worth a couple thousand dollars in scholarships!

ltowns1

Postby ltowns1 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:02 pm

Dog wrote:
ltowns1 wrote:does your first score matter in terms of acceptance in the t-14 if you scored lower than you hoped? So in other words, do I have to knock it out of the park with my first LSAT score to be accepted into Harvard, Univiersity of Chicago, Duke, and the rest of the t-14?? Or do I have some wiggle room?

You'd be fine. Schools might favor an applicant with the same score and one take, but USNWR only counts the highest score so schools will overlook other takes too. That's pretty atypical improvement though. I doubt there are many retakers going from below 50th percentile to 99th percentile.

Yeah anxiety could play a role, but I'm an AA as well so hopefully that could benefit me. I have major anxiety, but I'm also an extremely hard worker who likes challenges. So I could see this scenario for me lol
Last edited by ltowns1 on Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

moejoe193

Postby moejoe193 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:03 pm

Yes, you'll still be competitive. I had a similar jump in scores, and have already gotten into two T14s. The only school (I believe) that heavily handicaps retakers is Yale. The rest you should be fine at.

ltowns1

Postby ltowns1 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:23 pm

Thanks guys

Return to “What are my chances?”