New here and need advice Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
PRS25

New

New here and need advice

Post by PRS25 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:50 pm

Hey guys

I am new to this site and was hoping to get some feedback. I am currently waiting on my LSAT score to be released and still don't know how I felt about the test. It was my first time taking it, studied for 2 months, and PTd in the low 160s (with the occasional mid 150). To be honest, after taking the LSAT, I don't remember a single question. Is that normal? I'm not saying that I blacked out and do not remember the experience, it was just a blur to me. I can't say I am confident, yet I can't say I am not. I know that I guessed on around 10 questions due to time constraints though. So this waiting period has been hell for me, considering that my entire future is riding on this score. I am married with a child, and the fall is going to be my only chance for attending law school (due to practical and financial reasons). I would really like to give you guys a breakdown of my numbers and credentials. I would appreciate anyone's opinion as to what is the lowest score I could consider applying with. Thanks in advance.

GPA: 3.8
A.S. in Professional Golf Management (I know, long story)
B.S. in Sociology
Navy Veteran
Awards: Naval Humanitarian Medal (Providing aid and relief to Japanese tsunami victims), Webster Award (highest award for sociology at my school), Student Scholar Award (wrote a paper evaluating moral theories in the legal profession)
3 LORs: 2-Heads of the sociology department 1-Attorney that I interned with last fall (went to KU law)
Target Schools: I plan on staying in Kansas City with my family, therefore I am only applying to KU and UMKC (low tier schools).

I know that these "what if" questions can be irritating but I don't have the luxury of waiting until next cycle. If my LSAT score is too low, then I have to completely change my career path..so any advice is welcomed. Thanks!

Dr. Review

Gold

Re: New here and need advice

Post by Dr. Review » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:54 pm

Last edited by Dr. Review on Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OhBoyOhBortles

Gold

Post by OhBoyOhBortles » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:55 pm

We'll be able to give you a better idea of best possible options/outcomes for you once you have your LSAT score. Should just be a few more days. I know the waiting sucks though, so I feel for you.

Poptorts

Bronze

Post by Poptorts » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:08 pm

You should be set on being admitted based on your GPA, since it sounds like your LSAT may be right around their median.

To be honest, you probably have a shot at being admitted with a score even a few points under their median, however, it may not be the best choice financially since if you score well, you can feasibly receive a full ride based on your GPA, and your vet status helps as well.

What are the financial and practical reasons behind being unable to wait a cycle? We can debunk your financial reasons by showing you how much you can save with an improved LSAT score, especially if you will be debt financing your attendance.

PRS25

New

Post by PRS25 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:25 pm

Hey guys, thanks for the advice. Poptorts, the financial reasons are somewhat complicated but I will give you a brief rundown.

My wife is an air traffic controller and has an extremely high probability of being laid off (relocated) at the end of 2017. This is due to her parent company passing a proposal for a "reorganization" of her airport. She would get severance pay for 4 months while they work on relocating her to another airport out here. But if they can't relocate her by the end of those 4 months, then she (we) will be without income until they do relocate her. Basically, if I were to wait until the following year (2016) to start law school, then we would be playing Russian roulette. I would still have a year until I finish and would be forced into a compromising situation, if in fact the relocation time exceeds the severance period. To throw gasoline on the fire, my son will be starting kindergarten this fall. Hope that all made sense. Thanks again.

Poptorts

Bronze

Post by Poptorts » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:03 pm

PRS25 wrote:Hey guys, thanks for the advice. Poptorts, the financial reasons are somewhat complicated but I will give you a brief rundown.

My wife is an air traffic controller and has an extremely high probability of being laid off (relocated) at the end of 2017. This is due to her parent company passing a proposal for a "reorganization" of her airport. She would get severance pay for 4 months while they work on relocating her to another airport out here. But if they can't relocate her by the end of those 4 months, then she (we) will be without income until they do relocate her. Basically, if I were to wait until the following year (2016) to start law school, then we would be playing Russian roulette. I would still have a year until I finish and would be forced into a compromising situation, if in fact the relocation time exceeds the severance period. To throw gasoline on the fire, my son will be starting kindergarten this fall. Hope that all made sense. Thanks again.
Based on your situation, I would be hard pressed to recommend law school at this time and would suggest you wait until after your wife's situation is more clear. The thought of paying back hefty loans while making $50-60k/yr at most and trying to support two other individuals would be too much of a burden for my tastes, personally.

The worst possible outcome is that your score forces you to take loans, your wife gets laid off, you graduate, and your job prospects are less than marginal which leaves you to support her and your son on about what you are currently making. Not only are you making the same, but you have loans to pay and another individual to support.

It may be worth it on a full ride, but I believe 3 years of missed earnings will cause undue duress when/if your wife is laid off. It would be better to save more of a nest egg now and if she doesn't get laid off, you will be able to pay for law school from what you saved in that emergency fund.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”