chances Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
doubleray

New

chances

Post by doubleray » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:15 pm

Last edited by doubleray on Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BigZuck

Diamond

Re: Chances at Berkeley, Stanford, Harvard and Columbia?

Post by BigZuck » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:34 pm

I didn't really read your post (too many words) but I'd say 0% without an lsat score.

Play around with http://www.mylsn.info. Looks like you don't have anything particularly special by way of softs so Stanford is probably out even with a 180. Maybe Cal with a high LSAT score but it's doubtful. Columbia and Harvard pretty much just care about numbers, so get a good LSAT score.

NonTradLawHopeful

Bronze

Post by NonTradLawHopeful » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:36 pm

I encourage you to join the June LSAT study thread and don't worry about chances at schools until you have an actual score. You'll have the score two months before applications open; create a chances thread during that time.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:57 pm

doubleray wrote: Bear with me here.
no

doubleray

New

Post by doubleray » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:04 pm

All right, fair enough.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DiniMae

Silver

Post by DiniMae » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:09 am

This is exactly what I plan to study & I applied to the same schools for the same reasons. PM for deets on my cycle. I'm a URM, but I have some insight that you may find helpful regardless.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:42 pm

doubleray wrote:All right, fair enough.
Since you put a lot of effort into this, I'll give you a few sentences. You're out at Stanford but Harvard and Columbia are both in play with a 173+ LSAT. Your gpa addenda won't do any work for you (who wasn't diagnosed depressed at some point in college? And PBK speaks for itself) but you will want to address the transfer, especially for Berkeley. I can't tell you how that will play out since it's rather unique but I'd have to guess mildly negative to neutral. You should consider how you are planning on paying for law school because unless you take a scholarship at Columbia or receive need based grants at H/S none of these will be affordable choices.

smile0751

Bronze

Post by smile0751 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:11 pm

doubleray wrote: Also, I'm not a URM, but I do come from a minority background. I'll probably write a diversity statement about being mixed-race, and growing up Middle Eastern in a post-9/11 world, because I do feel like my experiences in that regard have shaped who I am as an adult. Do you think this will have any bearing on my chances of admission?
You and every other middle easterner writes this. Then again, I wrote it and it got me into Columbia and Berkeley with a 168 LSAT. Still havent heard back from S/H.

Just wanted to say that that diversity statement isnt very unique. If you have another angle to work, I'd try something else first.

pamphleteer

Bronze

Post by pamphleteer » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:22 am

I think that can be an effective DS topic if done right. I've read some really strong ones along those lines.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kartelite

Bronze

Post by kartelite » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:41 am

I had slightly higher LSAT/GPA than you with good softs, got offers at H/C but not S/B - somewhat ironically, I was an SF resident too. As far as I can tell, both Berkeley and Stanford are extremely GPA-picky, and I have a feeling that Berkeley yield-protect rejects against high-LSAT, decent-GPA applicants who are basically a lock at HCCN (as you should be - throwing H in there for its emphasis on numbers, and am guessing there are tons of others who get H-accept, B-reject). If you want to be in the Bay, Stanford is a long shot and you should spend a lot of time crafting a Berkeley-specific essay (and perhaps get your recommenders to send a special one there). Otherwise, I'd say you're in excellent shape for Columbia, and have a reasonable chance at Harvard.

MattM

Bronze

Post by MattM » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:45 am

Then again, I wrote it and it got me into Columbia and Berkeley with a 168 LSAT. Still havent heard back from S/H.

But that's not too surprising given Berkeley's lower LSAT compared to peer schools ( median is only a 167)...not sure why Berkeley does it that way ....since a 3.3/178 is much more impressive IMO than a 3.8/167 which Berks would take 9.9999 times out of 10 than the first applicant

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:37 am

Chances at Berk and Stanford are very low just based on your GPA. 175 and you'll be in at Harvard with a competently put together application submitted early. A GPA addendum isn't really necessary, but I agree that you should write about the transfer. The depression isn't going to garner you any leniency because it's so common, but I don't think there's any harm in mentioning it in the context of your transfer.

If you went to Reed your Berk/Stanford chances may be slightly improved. Otherwise, be sure to emphasize the top 10% thing in your transfer addendum.

doubleray

New

Post by doubleray » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:05 pm

Last edited by doubleray on Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kfh37

New

Post by kfh37 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:26 pm

I'd still apply at Stanford if your LSAT is close to your prediction. Schoold like Stanford don't have to be as numbers driven and can take Reed's grade deflation into account.

yot11

Bronze

Post by yot11 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:35 am

Hopefully this goes without saying, but you stand nothing to lose by applying to all the schools and hoping for the best (other than a few hundred bucks, which is pocket change if you're actually going to attend law school).

If it's just peace of mind that you're looking for, then don't hang your hopes on S, even if you nail your LSAT target. But with schools like S and Berk, I'm a firm believer that it's not necessarily about having stellar softs, it's more about how you sell your story. Obviously having unique or stellar softs help craft your story and give it a lot of substance, but you need to be able to put together a coherent and convincing story.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:39 am

Idk if Reed will help or not, but they're kinda the paradigmatic example of grade deflation needing to be taken into account. If adcoms give deflation consideration, then they give it at Reed.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”