Military Splitter with Questions

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Misto

Military Splitter with Questions

Postby Misto » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:21 pm

Hey all!

Current Situation:
- 3.47 GPA
- 172 LSAT
- BS in biology
- Masters degree
- Currently active duty military officer
- 50% GI Bill, no yellow ribbon
- Current career field is in health care
- I'm a single male with no children and no current debt of any kind.

Goals:
- Part-Time at either Georgetown or GW.
- Accelerated program at NU.
- Because I only have partial GI benefits, I would still very much like scholarship money.

Also, since I could work part-time or only spend 2 years in schools at one of the aforementioned schools and have significant savings, I will likely have very little debt coming out of school.

According to My LSN, I have a good shot at Georgetown and NU with money, but this does not include veteran's preference.

So, in the opinion of the board, am I undershooting with these schools?

Also, has anyone heard much about the accelerated program or the part-time programs? I've had difficulty finding good information on them.

Thanks!

Clemenceau

Re: Military Splitter with Questions

Postby Clemenceau » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:27 pm

Dont know much about pt or accelerated programs

Are you open to the idea of traditional 3 yr programs? I bet you'd have some good options in the lower t14. Perhaps uva or duke with some $

Would also be helpful to share some of your goals w/r/t employment

Misto

Postby Misto » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:34 pm

Clemenceau wrote:Dont know much about pt or accelerated programs

Are you open to the idea of traditional 3 yr programs? I bet you'd have some good options in the lower t14. Perhaps uva or duke with some $

Yes, I'm open to them.

I would like to work in medical malpractice in defense of health care providers. My only major work experience has been 3.5 years as a military officer and health care provider. I am willing to work anywhere in the country, really.

UnicornHunter

Postby UnicornHunter » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:49 pm

Misto wrote:

Yes, I'm open to them.

I would like to work in medical malpractice in defense of health care providers. My only major work experience has been 3.5 years as a military officer and health care provider. I am willing to work anywhere in the country, really.

Your #s + military should be good enough to get you into at least one of CCN. How much longer would you have to stay in to get 100% GI bill.. the YRP makes a huge difference.

Misto

Postby Misto » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:54 pm

TheUnicornHunter wrote:
Misto wrote:

Yes, I'm open to them.

Your #s + military should be good enough to get you into at least one of CCN. How much longer would you have to stay in to get 100% GI bill.. the YRP makes a huge difference.

2.5 years.

So I will be starting law school at around 32, as opposed to 29, if that makes a difference.

UnicornHunter

Postby UnicornHunter » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:11 pm

Misto wrote:
TheUnicornHunter wrote:
Misto wrote:

Yes, I'm open to them.

2.5 years.

So I will be starting law school at around 32, as opposed to 29, if that makes a difference.

Hmm, that's tough. The difference between 50% and 100% at top schools is about 40-50k a year (more, if the housing allowance gets prorated too). Totally personal decision as to whether or not the extra years in is worth that or not. What I will say is that being a couple years older almost certainly will not hurt you when it comes to the job hunt, so I wouldn't worry about that aspect of it.

Have you applied anywhere yet, or are you starting to think about next cycle? I would send out applications to all t-14 schools and see what sort of scholly action you get. It's tough to predict how splitters will do in the scholarship game, especially people with good softs. I would cross GW off your list and only do part-time at georgetown if you also can work a good job that advances your professional goals while you're there.

Misto

Postby Misto » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:16 pm

TheUnicornHunter wrote:Hmm, that's tough. The difference between 50% and 100% at top schools is about 40-50k a year (more, if the housing allowance gets prorated too). Totally personal decision as to whether or not the extra years in is worth that or not. What I will say is that being a couple years older almost certainly will not hurt you when it comes to the job hunt, so I wouldn't worry about that aspect of it.

Have you applied anywhere yet, or are you starting to think about next cycle? I would send out applications to all t-14 schools and see what sort of scholly action you get. It's tough to predict how splitters will do in the scholarship game, especially people with good softs. I would cross GW off your list and only do part-time at georgetown if you also can work a good job that advances your professional goals while you're there.

I'm thinking about next cycle. My military commitment doesn't expire until early next year. So I'll be looking to begin submitting applications this year for the 2015-2016 cycle (and law school in 2016).

To be honest, I'm not sure staying in would be worth it. It's something that I would have to think about.

Would my LSAT still be good in 3 years?

Thanks for the replies.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:30 pm

Misto wrote:Would my LSAT still be good in 3 years?

Yes. LSAT scores are good for 5 years.

encore1101

Postby encore1101 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:31 pm

Hey Misto,

TheUnicornHunter is definitely providing some solid advice.

There's a thread on these forums (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=170257&start=1675) that may help answer any other questions you have, or clarify some of the things TUH is saying.

Good luck!

Misto

Postby Misto » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:59 pm

Great! Thanks everyone!

Return to “What are my chances?”