NYU/Columbia/UPenn Chances

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
mac665
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:39 pm

NYU/Columbia/UPenn Chances

Postby mac665 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:50 pm

Hi all,

I'm 170/3.75. I'm also 26 and am Teach for America alum with 5 years in the classroom, a Masters degree and am currently an assistant principal at a competitive charter school.

What are my odds at NYU/Columbia/Penn? I know I'm about median for all on LSAT/GPA (except Penn's insane GPA medians) and am wondering if my work experience/resume can help. Apps went final about a week and a half ago.

Thanks guys!
Last edited by mac665 on Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Carter1901
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:32 pm

Re: NYU/Columbia/UPenn Chances

Postby Carter1901 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:04 pm

mac665 wrote:Hi all,

I'm 170/3.75. I'm also 26 and am Teach for America alum with 5 years in the classroom, a Masters degree and am currently an assistant principal at a competitive charter school.

What are my odds at NYU/Columbia/Penn? I know I'm about median for all on LSAT/GPA (except Penn's insane GPA medians) and am wondering if my work experience/resume can help. Apps went final about a week and a half ago.

Thanks guys!
Caitlin


http://mylsn.info/r/pre-law/admissions/search/

Entirely anecdotal, but fwiw, I had essentially identical numbers, no TFA/Masters, and all three worked out. I applied earlier in the cycle (November), but my work experience was certainly less compelling than yours. I'm optimistic for you - you'll get at least one of the three, and likely have solid $$$ from Duke/Cornell/Michigan/Virginia, etc. Good luck.

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: NYU/Columbia/UPenn Chances

Postby 03152016 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:29 pm

Image
odds look pretty good!
work experience is alright but i don't think you'll over-perform your numbers by much if at all

User avatar
schmelling
Posts: 1090
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:15 am

Post removed.

Postby schmelling » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:31 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by schmelling on Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Carter1901
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:32 pm

Re: NYU/Columbia/UPenn Chances

Postby Carter1901 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:45 pm

schmelling wrote:
Brut wrote:Image
odds look pretty good!
work experience is alright but i don't think you'll over-perform your numbers by much if at all


The YP at Penn on that chart is crazy


Yeah that's obscene. I'd forgotten about the Penn bloodbath on TLS last cycle; feel like they WL'd everyone in sight

MattM
Posts: 282
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:05 am

Re: NYU/Columbia/UPenn Chances

Postby MattM » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:54 pm

Yes, Penn does have a high median GPA...but also a low 25% GPA (3.52)

You have a solid GPA for Penn.....they just YP a lot

Penn isn't Berkley, Stanford or Chicago when it comes to GPA

User avatar
Mack.Hambleton
Posts: 5417
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:09 am

Re: NYU/Columbia/UPenn Chances

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:58 pm

schmelling wrote:
Brut wrote:Image
odds look pretty good!
work experience is alright but i don't think you'll over-perform your numbers by much if at all


The YP at Penn on that chart is crazy


How is that YP those are their medians

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9645
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: NYU/Columbia/UPenn Chances

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:03 am

Mack.Hambleton wrote:
schmelling wrote:
Brut wrote:Image
odds look pretty good!
work experience is alright but i don't think you'll over-perform your numbers by much if at all


The YP at Penn on that chart is crazy


How is that YP those are their medians


b/c they are also NYU's medians.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9645
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: NYU/Columbia/UPenn Chances

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:04 am

my question: are you sure you want to leave your position in education? on track to become principal of a school sounds like a much sweeter gig than junior associate w/ a fuckton of debt.

User avatar
Mack.Hambleton
Posts: 5417
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:09 am

Re: NYU/Columbia/UPenn Chances

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:38 am

jbagelboy wrote:
Mack.Hambleton wrote:
schmelling wrote:
Brut wrote:Image
odds look pretty good!
work experience is alright but i don't think you'll over-perform your numbers by much if at all


The YP at Penn on that chart is crazy


How is that YP those are their medians


b/c they are also NYU's medians.


NYU has a much bigger class and admits more ppl

stoopkid13
Posts: 207
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:31 am

Re: NYU/Columbia/UPenn Chances

Postby stoopkid13 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:08 pm

jbagelboy wrote:my question: are you sure you want to leave your position in education? on track to become principal of a school sounds like a much sweeter gig than junior associate w/ a fuckton of debt.


I feel like OP should be able to snag some $ at lower t14 with those numbers. I'm in TFA right now and from where I am I would say being a principal is probably worse than being a teacher. You don't deal as much with students and classroom management, but managing teachers, navigating all of your school districts policies/reporting, and dealing with parents isn't a load of fun either.

User avatar
cc78
Posts: 574
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:00 pm

Re: NYU/Columbia/UPenn Chances

Postby cc78 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:38 pm

jbagelboy wrote:my question: are you sure you want to leave your position in education? on track to become principal of a school sounds like a much sweeter gig than junior associate w/ a fuckton of debt.


If you actually want to do the job well, being the principal of a school that serves an under-served population can be a pretty awful job...no debt, but lord the stuff you'll have to deal with...

qwertyTLS
Posts: 278
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:06 am

Re: NYU/Columbia/UPenn Chances

Postby qwertyTLS » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:02 am

Mack.Hambleton wrote:How is that YP those are their medians

just because it's their medians doesn't mean it's not YP




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests