Is It Possible To Overcome a Low LSAT With Accomplishments?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
User avatar
schmelling
Posts: 1090
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:15 am

Post removed.

Postby schmelling » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:16 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by schmelling on Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

kristaann_vt
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:20 pm

Re: Is It Possible To Overcome a Low LSAT With Accomplishments?

Postby kristaann_vt » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:20 pm

schmelling wrote:
kristaann_vt wrote:
schmelling wrote:It doesn't matter if you want to go into corporate law. You can and should be aiming higher than Tulsa and should accept nothing less than 80% scholly or more from BC.

Many T14 schools have extensive repayment assistance programs for those going into public interest and would be throwing money at you with a 170. Which you can achieve. You would also have a more valuable degree and potentially more and better opportunities in PI. T14 schools place nationally and your degree would be more mobile as well.

Can you answer my original question about your nursing degree?


Thank you for taking the time to answer that.

I do not have a BSN in nursing. When I graduate in 2016, I will be graduating with my first bachelors degree.

No grades from my time in the community college nursing program currently count towards my institution's undergraduate GPA.


They will be required by LSAC and recalculated into your GPA. This recalculated LSAC GPA will be the only one that matters. What kind of grades did you earn in nursing?


Well then, I'm in trouble. I only earned B's. I'm sure they won't take into account that I was only 15-17 years old, and was managing a full college course load with a full AP course load in high school. I completed 72 college credits in 2 years, in addition to my high school scores. At the time that seemed like an accomplishment, but now, not so much.

Is there anyway to offset this? Or am I just up the creek? Or, do they give more consideration to my "actual" college grades and not the B I earned at community college at 15?

Thank you again for taking your time to help answer these. I appreciate it.

User avatar
schmelling
Posts: 1090
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:15 am

Post removed.

Postby schmelling » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:26 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by schmelling on Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22842
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Is It Possible To Overcome a Low LSAT With Accomplishments?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:27 pm

hereisonehand wrote:If your achievements are truly exceptional, a strong LSAT addendum may do wonders. Consider e.g.

Image

For god's sake stop posting things like this or you're going to be banned.

OP, your GPA is very good (depending on the nursing grades) and I suspect there is still more you can do to bring up your LSAT score without taking a course. There are a number of very good guides here, especially talking about the importance of drills and blind review. There are also a lot more practice tests for you to use (that is, out in the universe, not available here). I do think that to the extent your accomplishments matter, they will help you, although numbers are weighed much much more heavily. (Which section is your weakest?)

Wrt being Native American, do you identify as such and are you involved with your tribe/part of a native community? Being enrolled is more helpful, but given the complicated issues behind tribal identity, if you do ID as native and are legitimately part of a native community, that may also help a little.

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: Is It Possible To Overcome a Low LSAT With Accomplishments?

Postby 03152016 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:37 pm

hereisonehand wrote:If your achievements are truly exceptional, a strong LSAT addendum may do wonders. Consider e.g.

Image

whoa

User avatar
Revelation
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:02 am

Re: Is It Possible To Overcome a Low LSAT With Accomplishments?

Postby Revelation » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:56 pm

Schmelling is there a particular section of the LSAT you struggle with or are your wrong answers fairly evenly distributed? Your undergraduate GPA is solid, even if the nursing school stuff brings it down towards a 3.6 or a 3.5 you are still in pretty decent shape for Boston College. As others have said, your best move right now would be further study and retaking the LSAT. You may not be able to afford a regular class and that is fine, but you need to have a pretty intensive solo or group study plan moving forward. We are talking at least 15 timed tests, practice games several times a day, etc. etc. Judging by your undergrad GPA and your incredibly impressive accomplishments if you treat studying for the LSAT like a full time job there is no reason you shouldn't be able to manage a 170+.

On an aside though, I would be careful regarding the dual degree. BC is going to run you about 60,000 a year in cost of attendance (tuition+cost of living) and any scholarships you receive will only apply to 5-6 semesters, meaning that you will be looking at at least one year paying full sticker. A lot of schools will allow you to take a certain number of graduate hours in other departments and put them towards your JD, so I would advise looking into that at BC or other nearby schools. Taking 9-12 hours of graduate level work alongside all of your law classes should do more than enough to prepare you for a career prosecuting at Child Advocacy Centers.

User avatar
RZ5646
Posts: 2391
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 1:31 pm

Re: Is It Possible To Overcome a Low LSAT With Accomplishments?

Postby RZ5646 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:50 pm

What happened to TLS's "Yale with half scholly or don't go" attitude? Normally someone advocating GULC at sticker would get shouted down, but you guys are pushing BC? The coddling in this thread is really surprising.

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 11948
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Is It Possible To Overcome a Low LSAT With Accomplishments?

Postby Rigo » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:32 am

kristaann_vt wrote:Also, I was reading on BC Law's website that they take your first LSAT score into consideration. Therefore, even if I do improve, wouldn't a 150 range LSAT still hurt me?

No. You will be judged on your highest score.

ilikebaseball
Posts: 4103
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:04 am

Re: Is It Possible To Overcome a Low LSAT With Accomplishments?

Postby ilikebaseball » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:36 am

kristaann_vt wrote:
legallyrose wrote:
kristaann_vt wrote:No. Although I am Native American, I am only 1/16, and my tribe requires you to be 1/8 to have a card.

I know this is not an important factor for law school, but I am the first person in my family to graduate high school, let alone go to college. Additionally, I have been on my own since I was 16, as I had to move out due to abuse. I'm trying to decide if I could tactfully put this in my personal statement.


I think your accomplishments are inspiring...and that you definitely deserve to go out and reach for your dream of going to law school. See how the test goes on Saturday, and if you are not satisfied just retake! You are young and have plenty of time :) I'm assuming you are applying for next cycle so you still have june and October to prepare!


Thank you for that encouragement. I do not graduate until June 2016. However, I attend college in Arkansas, so planning out visits at schools where I could potentially be admitted requires a lot of planning.

I hope to apply in the Fall of 2015, as I believe applying earlier in the cycles of rolling admissions schools may help.

I'm at college in Arkansas too and am retaking this saturday. I'm going up to Fayetteville tomorrow. I'm assuming you go to JBU? Just because I think I recall reading about about SASS there (I'm guessing you're the one who started it). Pm me, and I'll try to help you out with your troubles
Last edited by ilikebaseball on Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 11948
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Is It Possible To Overcome a Low LSAT With Accomplishments?

Postby Rigo » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:47 am

RZ5646 wrote:What happened to TLS's "Yale with half scholly or don't go" attitude? Normally someone advocating GULC at sticker would get shouted down, but you guys are pushing BC? The coddling in this thread is really surprising.

I understand you're exaggerating with the Yale quote (your intended point is still off-base btw), but to say that this thread is collectively pushing BC is pure fiction.

We're telling OP to retake the LSAT (or better yet, postpone until June) and aim higher. She's not applying this cycle and isn't being stubborn and abrasive, so that's probably why the responses are more of a flashing yellow light than a red light.

Nobody is endorsing OP (hypothetically) going to BC with her current stats at what would be close to sticker price. That's insane.
Last edited by Rigo on Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

kristaann_vt
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:20 pm

Re: Is It Possible To Overcome a Low LSAT With Accomplishments?

Postby kristaann_vt » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:49 am

Revelation wrote:Schmelling is there a particular section of the LSAT you struggle with or are your wrong answers fairly evenly distributed? Your undergraduate GPA is solid, even if the nursing school stuff brings it down towards a 3.6 or a 3.5 you are still in pretty decent shape for Boston College. As others have said, your best move right now would be further study and retaking the LSAT. You may not be able to afford a regular class and that is fine, but you need to have a pretty intensive solo or group study plan moving forward. We are talking at least 15 timed tests, practice games several times a day, etc. etc. Judging by your undergrad GPA and your incredibly impressive accomplishments if you treat studying for the LSAT like a full time job there is no reason you shouldn't be able to manage a 170+.

On an aside though, I would be careful regarding the dual degree. BC is going to run you about 60,000 a year in cost of attendance (tuition+cost of living) and any scholarships you receive will only apply to 5-6 semesters, meaning that you will be looking at at least one year paying full sticker. A lot of schools will allow you to take a certain number of graduate hours in other departments and put them towards your JD, so I would advise looking into that at BC or other nearby schools. Taking 9-12 hours of graduate level work alongside all of your law classes should do more than enough to prepare you for a career prosecuting at Child Advocacy Centers.


First, thank you for taking time to read through all my posts. Second, thank you for all that fantastic advice.

I'm really struggling with the reading comprehension section. This is my own fault. On my ACT I earned a 34 in reading comp, and have always done excellent in my English classes (I have an English minor), so I focused the majority of my time in practicing logic games and LR. In the LR sections, I'm currently getting 20+ questions correct per section consistently. In the logic games, I'm usually getting 16 questions correct (mostly due to the time constraint) so the reading comp is really pulling me down. Again, I recognize this is my own fault, as I didn't realize how difficult this section would be.

This is good to know, though, as I prepare for the June LSAT after this test.

User avatar
UnicornHunter
Posts: 13507
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Is It Possible To Overcome a Low LSAT With Accomplishments?

Postby UnicornHunter » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:50 am

RZ5646 wrote:What happened to TLS's "Yale with half scholly or don't go" attitude? Normally someone advocating GULC at sticker would get shouted down, but you guys are pushing BC? The coddling in this thread is really surprising.


OP

a) needs to be in NE

and

b) doesn't want to do "prestige law" (e.g. BigLaw, BigFed, BigNGO, Lit Boutique, Fed Clerk, or Academia)

When you have a strong regional preference and no desire to do prestige law, it makes much more sense to go to a law school in your region of preference with as much $$$$ as possible.

I'd argue that OP should probably just put her degrees to work and go do the work she thinks she wants to do for a while instead of dabbling in LS, but if she can cop a full-ride somewhere at least that's not an objectively terrible outcome.

OP: don't go to law school unless it's free. If that means taking a few years off to work, that's probably a good thing.

ilikebaseball
Posts: 4103
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:04 am

Re: Is It Possible To Overcome a Low LSAT With Accomplishments?

Postby ilikebaseball » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:52 am

Its totally possible for you to get a high enough score to get into BC by June. Especially with 16/23 LG score. You put in the work and you'll find that it reaps huge rewards

User avatar
eriedoctrine
Posts: 306
Joined: Tue May 13, 2014 1:00 am

Re: Is It Possible To Overcome a Low LSAT With Accomplishments?

Postby eriedoctrine » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:53 am

You studied for 6 mo and only got a 155? How is that possible?
You should be hitting ~165 or stick to the nursing profession.

kristaann_vt
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:20 pm

Re: Is It Possible To Overcome a Low LSAT With Accomplishments?

Postby kristaann_vt » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:03 am

TheUnicornHunter wrote:
RZ5646 wrote:What happened to TLS's "Yale with half scholly or don't go" attitude? Normally someone advocating GULC at sticker would get shouted down, but you guys are pushing BC? The coddling in this thread is really surprising.


OP

a) needs to be in NE

and

b) doesn't want to do "prestige law" (e.g. BigLaw, BigFed, BigNGO, Lit Boutique, Fed Clerk, or Academia)

When you have a strong regional preference and no desire to do prestige law, it makes much more sense to go to a law school in your region of preference with as much $$$$ as possible.

I'd argue that OP should probably just put her degrees to work and go do the work she thinks she wants to do for a while instead of dabbling in LS, but if she can cop a full-ride somewhere at least that's not an objectively terrible outcome.

OP: don't go to law school unless it's free. If that means taking a few years off to work, that's probably a good thing.


I just want to clear this up: I am legally a VT resident, even though the most I've been in VT the past 3 years is 20 days. So New England is my region.

Schools in "my region" (like in Oklahoma) give regional scholarship to residents in our surrounding states, and to students who graduated from schools in these states (I think it's strange, but it works).

ilikebaseball
Posts: 4103
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:04 am

Re: Is It Possible To Overcome a Low LSAT With Accomplishments?

Postby ilikebaseball » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:04 am

kristaann_vt wrote:
TheUnicornHunter wrote:
RZ5646 wrote:What happened to TLS's "Yale with half scholly or don't go" attitude? Normally someone advocating GULC at sticker would get shouted down, but you guys are pushing BC? The coddling in this thread is really surprising.


OP

a) needs to be in NE

and

b) doesn't want to do "prestige law" (e.g. BigLaw, BigFed, BigNGO, Lit Boutique, Fed Clerk, or Academia)

When you have a strong regional preference and no desire to do prestige law, it makes much more sense to go to a law school in your region of preference with as much $$$$ as possible.

I'd argue that OP should probably just put her degrees to work and go do the work she thinks she wants to do for a while instead of dabbling in LS, but if she can cop a full-ride somewhere at least that's not an objectively terrible outcome.

OP: don't go to law school unless it's free. If that means taking a few years off to work, that's probably a good thing.


I just want to clear this up: I am legally a VT resident, even though the most I've been in VT the past 3 years is 20 days. So New England is my region.

Schools in "my region" (like in Oklahoma) give regional scholarship to residents in our surrounding states, and to students who graduated from schools in these states (I think it's strange, but it works).


Not in law school. In UG they do because I know what you're talking about. I'm a TX resident but am here on in state tuition as are all of the students here from Texas. Law school they dont do that, unfortunately.

User avatar
schmelling
Posts: 1090
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:15 am

Post removed.

Postby schmelling » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:11 am

Post removed.
Last edited by schmelling on Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

kristaann_vt
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:20 pm

Re: Is It Possible To Overcome a Low LSAT With Accomplishments?

Postby kristaann_vt » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:12 am

ilikebaseball wrote:
kristaann_vt wrote:
TheUnicornHunter wrote:
RZ5646 wrote:What happened to TLS's "Yale with half scholly or don't go" attitude? Normally someone advocating GULC at sticker would get shouted down, but you guys are pushing BC? The coddling in this thread is really surprising.


OP

a) needs to be in NE

and

b) doesn't want to do "prestige law" (e.g. BigLaw, BigFed, BigNGO, Lit Boutique, Fed Clerk, or Academia)

When you have a strong regional preference and no desire to do prestige law, it makes much more sense to go to a law school in your region of preference with as much $$$$ as possible.

I'd argue that OP should probably just put her degrees to work and go do the work she thinks she wants to do for a while instead of dabbling in LS, but if she can cop a full-ride somewhere at least that's not an objectively terrible outcome.

OP: don't go to law school unless it's free. If that means taking a few years off to work, that's probably a good thing.


I just want to clear this up: I am legally a VT resident, even though the most I've been in VT the past 3 years is 20 days. So New England is my region.

Schools in "my region" (like in Oklahoma) give regional scholarship to residents in our surrounding states, and to students who graduated from schools in these states (I think it's strange, but it works).


Not in law school. In UG they do because I know what you're talking about. I'm a TX resident but am here on in state tuition as are all of the students here from Texas. Law school they dont do that, unfortunately.


Are you talking about regional tuition? The University of Tulsa (I know, not the best school, but mentioning it for an example) gives students who graduated from An Arkansas or Oklahoma school (regardless of their legal state of residence) the same tuition as an Oklahoma state resident. It's some big new program they started last year, obviously to recruit students. I'm on my phone, or else I'd post a link. There's 13 states, last time I checked, in this region. Texas is one of them, too.

ilikebaseball
Posts: 4103
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:04 am

Re: Is It Possible To Overcome a Low LSAT With Accomplishments?

Postby ilikebaseball » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:13 am

That's because Tulsa is a private school. Private schools have the same tuition regardless of where you are from. They probably told you that or spread the word about that to recruit you, but its actually pretty unethical for them to attempt to deceive you like that.
Last edited by ilikebaseball on Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

kristaann_vt
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:20 pm

Re: Is It Possible To Overcome a Low LSAT With Accomplishments?

Postby kristaann_vt » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:16 am

schmelling wrote:
Dirigo wrote:She's not applying this cycle and isn't being stubborn and abrasive, so that's probably why the responses are more of a flashing yellow light than a red light.


+1 on OP not being an asshole.


I've found I can get much better advice if I actually listen, respectfully, to the advice I'm given. There's no need for me to be mean. If someone makes a mean comment, that then becomes of reflection of them, and not me.

Working with special victims at advocacy centers and with the DA, I've learned there's always going tl be people who can say things in a mean way--whether ill intended or not. And if you can learn to be firm, without sounding like an ass 1) it helps you network 2) you actually learn 3) people are more willing to give you advice. I'm new at this and honestly appreciate any advice I can get, even if it's harsh.

User avatar
UnicornHunter
Posts: 13507
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Is It Possible To Overcome a Low LSAT With Accomplishments?

Postby UnicornHunter » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:16 am

Don't take your eye off the ball. $0 in tuition with no stips in the region you want to work in or don't go. Your goals make anything more than that a bad investment. Retake LSAT until you can make it happen.

User avatar
schmelling
Posts: 1090
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:15 am

Post removed.

Postby schmelling » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:24 am

Post removed.
Last edited by schmelling on Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

kristaann_vt
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:20 pm

Re: Is It Possible To Overcome a Low LSAT With Accomplishments?

Postby kristaann_vt » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:32 am

TheUnicornHunter wrote:Don't take your eye off the ball. $0 in tuition with no stips in the region you want to work in or don't go. Your goals make anything more than that a bad investment. Retake LSAT until you can make it happen.


Any advice if I received a full scholarship to a not so great school? Is it really better, in your opinion, to not go to law school at all, rather than to accept a full ride at a low tier law school (like the University of Tulsa, or The University of New England)?

ilikebaseball
Posts: 4103
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:04 am

Re: Is It Possible To Overcome a Low LSAT With Accomplishments?

Postby ilikebaseball » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:34 am

kristaann_vt wrote:
TheUnicornHunter wrote:Don't take your eye off the ball. $0 in tuition with no stips in the region you want to work in or don't go. Your goals make anything more than that a bad investment. Retake LSAT until you can make it happen.


Any advice if I received a full scholarship to a not so great school? Is it really better, in your opinion, to not go to law school at all, rather than to accept a full ride at a low tier law school (like the University of Tulsa, or The University of New England)?

Yes. The employment rates are abysmal. The best option is to retake in June (study study study), and get above median for good schools in that area.

ilikebaseball
Posts: 4103
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:04 am

Re: Is It Possible To Overcome a Low LSAT With Accomplishments?

Postby ilikebaseball » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:45 am

RZ5646 wrote:I'll be honest with you. 155 is a bad LSAT score. Not just low, it is terrible. You also have a low GPA. So, even if you get into a mediocre school like BC, you won't get a scholarship, which makes attendance a very bad idea.

Start studying for June and aim for at least 170. If you can't consistently reach 165 in practice, look into some other career path.

Since when is a 3.7 a low GPA? I'd kill for a 3.7.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Hikikomorist, phelpsy, ponderingmeerkat and 5 guests