Is It Possible To Overcome a Low LSAT With Accomplishments? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
schmelling

Silver

Post removed.

Post by schmelling » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:05 am

Post removed.
Last edited by schmelling on Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

kristaann_vt

New

Re: Is It Possible To Overcome a Low LSAT With Accomplishments?

Post by kristaann_vt » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:14 am

schmelling wrote:
kristaann_vt wrote:
TheUnicornHunter wrote:Don't take your eye off the ball. $0 in tuition with no stips in the region you want to work in or don't go. Your goals make anything more than that a bad investment. Retake LSAT until you can make it happen.
Any advice if I received a full scholarship to a not so great school? Is it really better, in your opinion, to not go to law school at all, rather than to accept a full ride at a low tier law school (like the University of Tulsa, or The University of New England)?
t14 + strong regionals are the only schools worth going to. Keep in mind that even if you get a full scholarship somewhere, you still need to spend 3 years of time and lost income to attend. At some schools the JD will offer you no value whatsoever. You would be better off, and achieving more, by working your chosen field for those 3 years.
Ok, so I work with a DA in NH during the summers at a CAC there, and with a DA here i Arkansas on cases. So, if I was to get into the University of Arkansas, or the University of NH, you would advise not going? (I'm trying trying to make sure I understand this).

Thank you again for all your help!

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:43 am

kristaann_vt wrote:
Revelation wrote:Schmelling is there a particular section of the LSAT you struggle with or are your wrong answers fairly evenly distributed? Your undergraduate GPA is solid, even if the nursing school stuff brings it down towards a 3.6 or a 3.5 you are still in pretty decent shape for Boston College. As others have said, your best move right now would be further study and retaking the LSAT. You may not be able to afford a regular class and that is fine, but you need to have a pretty intensive solo or group study plan moving forward. We are talking at least 15 timed tests, practice games several times a day, etc. etc. Judging by your undergrad GPA and your incredibly impressive accomplishments if you treat studying for the LSAT like a full time job there is no reason you shouldn't be able to manage a 170+.

On an aside though, I would be careful regarding the dual degree. BC is going to run you about 60,000 a year in cost of attendance (tuition+cost of living) and any scholarships you receive will only apply to 5-6 semesters, meaning that you will be looking at at least one year paying full sticker. A lot of schools will allow you to take a certain number of graduate hours in other departments and put them towards your JD, so I would advise looking into that at BC or other nearby schools. Taking 9-12 hours of graduate level work alongside all of your law classes should do more than enough to prepare you for a career prosecuting at Child Advocacy Centers.
First, thank you for taking time to read through all my posts. Second, thank you for all that fantastic advice.

I'm really struggling with the reading comprehension section. This is my own fault. On my ACT I earned a 34 in reading comp, and have always done excellent in my English classes (I have an English minor), so I focused the majority of my time in practicing logic games and LR. In the LR sections, I'm currently getting 20+ questions correct per section consistently. In the logic games, I'm usually getting 16 questions correct (mostly due to the time constraint) so the reading comp is really pulling me down. Again, I recognize this is my own fault, as I didn't realize how difficult this section would be.

This is good to know, though, as I prepare for the June LSAT after this test.
Lol into Manhattan LSAT Reading Comp Guide for your retake.

schmelling

Silver

Post removed.

Post by schmelling » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:50 am

Post removed.

kristaann_vt

New

Post by kristaann_vt » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:10 am

Any advice if I received a full scholarship to a not so great school? Is it really better, in your opinion, to not go to law school at all, rather than to accept a full ride at a low tier law school (like the University of Tulsa, or The University of New England)?[/quote]

t14 + strong regionals are the only schools worth going to. Keep in mind that even if you get a full scholarship somewhere, you still need to spend 3 years of time and lost income to attend. At some schools the JD will offer you no value whatsoever. You would be better off, and achieving more, by working your chosen field for those 3 years.[/quote]

Ok, so I work with a DA in NH during the summers at a CAC there, and with a DA here i Arkansas on cases. So, if I was to get into the University of Arkansas, or the University of NH, you would advise not going? (I'm trying trying to make sure I understand this).

Thank you again for all your help![/quote]

The university of arkansas will not place you into NE- where you want to be. So it is a definite no go. I can't speak to the quality of UNH.[/quote]

New England would be absolutely ideal. However, it my family circumstances change in the next year, and I am able to stay in Arkansas, would you advise against going to UoA?

Additionally, I am so well established in the CAC, that I'm fairly confident I could have a legal internship there, regardless of where I go to school, eventually lesson to a job. The CAC system of NH is expanding, and they're hoping to create a prosecutor's office at every center. I've talked to the DA about this, well actually, he was the one who asked me if I would continue to come back. The CAC created a paid position for me so I could continue to come back, as I had more access to case work as an employee than I did as an intern. So, even if I did go to the UoA, my foot would still firmly be in the CAC, especially in the prosecuting office. Thoughts?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

schmelling

Silver

Post removed.

Post by schmelling » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:16 am

Post removed.

Revelation

New

Post by Revelation » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:18 pm

Basically everyone's advice has been the same throughout the thread. Study up for the June LSAT, retake it, and get a full ride a good regional school. Right now you should be doing practice tests and hop on with the Manhattan LSAT reading comp guide. Focus on getting faster with the Logic Games (which is very doable once you are used to them) and improving your reading comprehension scores. Lots of timed practice tests, lots of drills, lots and lots of studying. All the arguments about where to go are moot until you improve that LSAT so I am not sure of the continued value of this thread.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”