153 LSAT, work 70 hrs/ week, 3.9 master gpa w published thes

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
tmims
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:19 pm

153 LSAT, work 70 hrs/ week, 3.9 master gpa w published thes

Postby tmims » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:06 pm

I am an older student,

went to law school and had to drop for medical reasons a long time ago,

Now I'm back, I work 70 hours so I didn't have time to study, but I did complete my masters in psych and published my thesis while working.

I did not get in northwestern,

but I'm still waiting on Loyola, Chicago Kent, William and Mary, John Marshall and George Mason.

Got my applications in late because of a family illness.

I am an older student. Any thoughts.

User avatar
Manteca
Posts: 1169
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:55 pm

Re: 153 LSAT, work 70 hrs/ week, 3.9 master gpa w published thes

Postby Manteca » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:08 pm

I would say you might want to retake...but why law school? Seems like you have a good gig going.

User avatar
hairbear7
Posts: 517
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:28 pm

Re: 153 LSAT, work 70 hrs/ week, 3.9 master gpa w published thes

Postby hairbear7 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:09 pm

tmims wrote:I am an older student,

went to law school and had to drop for medical reasons a long time ago,

Now I'm back, I work 70 hours so I didn't have time to study, but I did complete my masters in psych and published my thesis while working.

I did not get in northwestern,

but I'm still waiting on Loyola, Chicago Kent, William and Mary, John Marshall and George Mason.

Got my applications in late because of a family illness.

I am an older student. Any thoughts.


Take the LSAT again when you are fully prepared.

User avatar
JohannDeMann
Posts: 13828
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:25 pm

Re: 153 LSAT, work 70 hrs/ week, 3.9 master gpa w published thes

Postby JohannDeMann » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:10 pm

dont enter the legal profession.

User avatar
hoos89
Posts: 1969
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:09 pm

Re: 153 LSAT, work 70 hrs/ week, 3.9 master gpa w published thes

Postby hoos89 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:13 pm

You aren't going to get in anywhere worth going with a 153. Also, your master GPA is borderline irrelevant. Law schools only care about your undergrad GPA.

User avatar
Ron Don Volante
Posts: 899
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:26 pm

Re: 153 LSAT, work 70 hrs/ week, 3.9 master gpa w published thes

Postby Ron Don Volante » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:18 pm

hoos89 wrote:You aren't going to get in anywhere worth going with a 153. Also, your master GPA is borderline irrelevant. Law schools only care about your undergrad GPA.

User avatar
eriedoctrine
Posts: 306
Joined: Tue May 13, 2014 1:00 am

Re: 153 LSAT, work 70 hrs/ week, 3.9 master gpa w published thes

Postby eriedoctrine » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:24 pm

tmims wrote:I did not get in northwestern


NO WAI!
But seriously, don't go to law school.
If you must, retake.

Also, we need to know your UGPA.

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 11941
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: 153 LSAT, work 70 hrs/ week, 3.9 master gpa w published thes

Postby Rigo » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:11 pm

The whole "I didn't have time to study" excuse for your 153 is an awful reason. Either retake or don't go. This is your second chance, so don't blow it.

tmims
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:19 pm

Re: 153 LSAT, work 70 hrs/ week, 3.9 master gpa w published thes

Postby tmims » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:18 pm

I worked at several law firms after I left law school and was encouraged by attorneys in corporate law to go back because of my writing skills.

When you work 70 hours a week, I'm sorry, it takes a toll.

The reason why I posted with my actually name is for those who don't meet all of the criteria so that they can have encouragement to try.

I got into John Marshall, didn't get into Northwestern, looks like good news for George Mason, will have an answer from Kent in 2 weeks, still waiting on Loyola but not really stressing it.

I already have several job offers when I get through with my first year of law school because John Marshall and Loyola alumni here in Chicago. I am comfortable enough in my life where I can live out my dream and be a public servant. I want to write legislation and regulations.

All I'm saying here is that law school is competitive, but it's not all about the numbers. Numbers get everyone's attention, but it's always exceptions to the rule which is why I posted this.

I know some of the "experts" that troll these threads know everything, but I'm glad the admissions depts think otherwise.

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: 153 LSAT, work 70 hrs/ week, 3.9 master gpa w published thes

Postby 03152016 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:25 pm

what exactly did you prove by getting into one of the least selective law schools in the country?

you didn't get much good feedback itt, but everything posted so far has been generally accurate
i'm not sure how you proved your "exception to the rule" theory

User avatar
Winston1984
Posts: 1789
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:02 pm

Re: 153 LSAT, work 70 hrs/ week, 3.9 master gpa w published thes

Postby Winston1984 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:26 pm

tmims wrote:I worked at several law firms after I left law school and was encouraged by attorneys in corporate law to go back because of my writing skills.

When you work 70 hours a week, I'm sorry, it takes a toll.

The reason why I posted with my actually name is for those who don't meet all of the criteria so that they can have encouragement to try.

I got into John Marshall, didn't get into Northwestern, looks like good news for George Mason, will have an answer from Kent in 2 weeks, still waiting on Loyola but not really stressing it.

I already have several job offers when I get through with my first year of law school because John Marshall and Loyola alumni here in Chicago. I am comfortable enough in my life where I can live out my dream and be a public servant. I want to write legislation and regulations.

All I'm saying here is that law school is competitive, but it's not all about the numbers. Numbers get everyone's attention, but it's always exceptions to the rule which is why I posted this.

I know some of the "experts" that troll these threads know everything, but I'm glad the admissions depts think otherwise.

I don't understand how this proves law school isn't about the numbers. Didn't you get in/get rejected where your numbers said you would?

User avatar
hoos89
Posts: 1969
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:09 pm

Re: 153 LSAT, work 70 hrs/ week, 3.9 master gpa w published thes

Postby hoos89 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:27 pm

Out of curiosity, are these offers for the summer after 1L or for post graduate employment? If the former, you really shouldn't put much weight in that. It's unlikely those jobs will pay significantly above minimum wage (if at all), and finding post 1L employment is much, much, much easier than finding post graduate employment, especially from a school like John Marshall.

Also, admissions deans love talking about how they care about things other than GPA, LSAT, and URM status, but the numbers we have available simply do not bear that out. They care about USNWR rankings, and USNWR doesn't give any weight to the quality of students' personal statements.

And nobody said you wouldn't get into John Marshall.

tmims
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:19 pm

Re: 153 LSAT, work 70 hrs/ week, 3.9 master gpa w published thes

Postby tmims » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:38 pm

John Marshall was what I expected it to be, a school I knew I could get in.

Yes, I have offers for permanent employment when I get out of school but I can start clerking for these attorneys as soon as I finish 1st year.

I have a very big network via my job and personal circles, so I went ahead and starting researching employment opportunities before I ever turned in an application.

I don't think my personal statement was overwhelming, it was just the truth. And I'm glad that the admissions departments realize that some times things happen.

Yes for the most part, everyone reads the USNews reports... and there are always exceptions to the rule, so the practice of focus on those numbers for the most part is nothing that I ever questioned.

I'm really excited about George Mason, I love the interaction that they have with the hill.

I'm excited about Kent, b/c I love their focus on IP and their part time program. And even if I do end up attending John Marshall, just like everything else in my life, I will make my own path. I do understand and if I were a younger student, all of this ranking and focusing on employment would be a lot more important to me, but I'm not.

I understand your point, I just hope others especially older students who are not so driven for income can understand mine.

BigZuck
Posts: 10851
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: 153 LSAT, work 70 hrs/ week, 3.9 master gpa w published thes

Postby BigZuck » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:38 pm

Check out http://www.mylsn.info for chances

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 11941
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: 153 LSAT, work 70 hrs/ week, 3.9 master gpa w published thes

Postby Rigo » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:47 pm

It sounds like you don't want our thoughts. You instead wanted to share what a special snowflake you are. Next time, try blogging instead of feigning a plea for advice.

tmims
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:19 pm

Re: 153 LSAT, work 70 hrs/ week, 3.9 master gpa w published thes

Postby tmims » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:48 pm

No I appreciated those who said try again and gave their honest opinion...

But for those who were like its no excuse to not study, those childish and immature. Was it the best decision, probably not but I had to get permission to leave work to even take the test and came back to work after...

Why deny that I'm special? But I think everyone is in their own way and what makes the law in America to best thing ever to study is that there is room for every path and every story.

Now there are only so many slots for that top firm and not every one is going to end up like mike or Harvey or Jessica or even Lewis from suits.. But that's not a bad thing.

It's a difference between giving your input and writing someone's destiny all I'm saying. And good luck in your endeavors.

User avatar
DCfilterDC
Posts: 2665
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:55 pm

Re: 153 LSAT, work 70 hrs/ week, 3.9 master gpa w published thes

Postby DCfilterDC » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:54 pm

Would you mind sharing what you field you're in that requires you to work 70+ hours, work Saturdays, request permission to take off for the LSAT and return once completed?

Also have you leveraged your MA in psych and that thesis? Why not consider a clinical psych program? It's stipend, free, and you can probably get some interesting careers out of it.

User avatar
Winston1984
Posts: 1789
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:02 pm

Re: 153 LSAT, work 70 hrs/ week, 3.9 master gpa w published thes

Postby Winston1984 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:37 pm

tmims wrote:No I appreciated those who said try again and gave their honest opinion...

But for those who were like its no excuse to not study, those childish and immature. Was it the best decision, probably not but I had to get permission to leave work to even take the test and came back to work after...

Why deny that I'm special? But I think everyone is in their own way and what makes the law in America to best thing ever to study is that there is room for every path and every story.

Now there are only so many slots for that top firm and not every one is going to end up like mike or Harvey or Jessica or even Lewis from suits.. But that's not a bad thing.

It's a difference between giving your input and writing someone's destiny all I'm saying. And good luck in your endeavors.

wat

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: 153 LSAT, work 70 hrs/ week, 3.9 master gpa w published thes

Postby 03152016 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:42 pm

this is what happens when you encourage people to follow their dreams

mvp99
Posts: 1383
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:00 pm

Re: 153 LSAT, work 70 hrs/ week, 3.9 master gpa w published thes

Postby mvp99 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:47 pm

You don't need a jd to write regulations and legislations..

OrangeBowl
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:57 am

Re: 153 LSAT, work 70 hrs/ week, 3.9 master gpa w published thes

Postby OrangeBowl » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:03 am

.
Last edited by OrangeBowl on Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tmims
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:19 pm

Re: 153 LSAT, work 70 hrs/ week, 3.9 master gpa w published thes

Postby tmims » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:13 am

I know that I don't need a JD to write legislation.

However, I am at a point in life where I want to receive the correct training to write legalislation and for me that's law school.

I do follow my dreams because when I love what I do because that works for me.

I work for a major tech producer and I manage 20 supervisors who manage 30 people themselves ... So since our operation is 7 days a week and Saturdays are
a regular work day, I have to be there. I work about 7am to 8pm a work day. So yes leaving and coming back. I went to work early and came back to provide managerial
coverage me taking the lsat is an option, providing the coverage I'm paid to do is mandatory.

What strikes me is the cynical nature of some of these posts. I never said my path was the norm, just simply mine.

And I plan on being an advocate
For mental health issues including my thesis subject. I also didn't want to commit possibly 6 years and then have to relocate for the last year.

Good luck everyone!

BigZuck
Posts: 10851
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: 153 LSAT, work 70 hrs/ week, 3.9 master gpa w published thes

Postby BigZuck » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:19 am

Law school won't train you to write legislation in any way

Do you actually know what people do in law school?

User avatar
hoos89
Posts: 1969
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:09 pm

Re: 153 LSAT, work 70 hrs/ week, 3.9 master gpa w published thes

Postby hoos89 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:16 am

BigZuck wrote:Law school won't train you to write legislation in any way

Do you actually know what people do in law school?


So much this.

hdunlop
Posts: 461
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:14 pm

Re: 153 LSAT, work 70 hrs/ week, 3.9 master gpa w published thes

Postby hdunlop » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:29 am

Thread delivers




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 4 guests