170 and 4.18 chances? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
bookworm381

New

170 and 4.18 chances?

Post by bookworm381 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:41 am

Last edited by bookworm381 on Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Arad

Bronze

Re: 170 and 4.18 chances?

Post by Arad » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:43 am

If you applied already, you'll find out in the coming weeks. I'm sure you'll have a great cycle. Good luck you overly neurotic f***

Check out mylsn if you get an opportunity. By the looks of it, you should get into at least one, likely 2-4.
Last edited by Arad on Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

ReasonableNprudent

Bronze

Post by ReasonableNprudent » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:44 am

bookworm381 wrote:Hey everyone! quick brief:

170 lsat
4.18 gpa (at state school)
Strong LORs
Full tuition scholly for undergrad
Thesis and 2 years of research asst
TA 2x in major (delivered lecture for one class)
Aerobics instructor
Summer job @same company for 6 years in HR and Accounting
Internship with senator in DC
Consistent comm service
Leadership position in sorority
Mortar board and blue key honor soc.
award from undergrad for excellence in academics and research
Study abroad
Apps submitted on 1/2

I apologize for the excessive info, but I'm feeling very neurotic at this stage of the app process :o
Sooo What do you think my chances at t6 (esp HYS) are?
HYS

Edit: OP is a strong candidate at all three. Her balancing of extra currics and hobbies (aerobics?) indicate she likely isn't subject to burnout, self destructive vices, or bouts of depression or other mental illness. The only thing that might hold you back is applying in Jan. as it is slightly late in the cycle. Keep us updated!
Last edited by ReasonableNprudent on Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:58 am

youre chances are quite good at throwing your life into a deep abyss. why the fuck would you go to law school? it looks like you have endless opportunities

RZ5646

Gold

Post by RZ5646 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:01 am

Was the mention of your undergrad full ride just boasting or did you actually believe that could somehow impact your law school admissions chances?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Meow Meowsworth

New

Post by Meow Meowsworth » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:26 am

RZ5646 wrote:Was the mention of your undergrad full ride just boasting or did you actually believe that could somehow impact your law school admissions chances?
I'm giving OP the benefit of the doubt and assuming that he said it to indicate that he has minimal (if any) debt.

Chevron Deference

Bronze

Post by Chevron Deference » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:37 am

Do not go to law school.

MattM

Bronze

Post by MattM » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:50 am

I say out at Y and H slight chances at S

MattM

Bronze

Post by MattM » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:53 am

if you really want one of HYS a retake for one or two more points could very well be worth it

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ReasonableNprudent

Bronze

Post by ReasonableNprudent » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:52 am

^ Huge sample problem with the first list. The second one is more indicative. Lawschoolpredictor has OP at "strong consider" for all of HYS with 63% of the class below OP's numbers.

If OP shouldn't go to law school then who should?

Edit: mylsn uses self reported data from LSN. The other site uses ABA reported data. I didn't check if that data is over the past several years or just the past year. Presuming it is over lots of years OP has an even stronger chance, as the strongest drop off in applicants is at the extremes (high and low LSAT and GPA), leaving OP an even stronger candidate.
Last edited by ReasonableNprudent on Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:54 am

ReasonableNprudent wrote:^ Huge sample problem with the first list. The second one is more indicative. Lawschoolpredictor has OP at "strong consider" for all of HYS with 63% of the class below OP's numbers.

people that have 0 legit career options. people with sub 3 gpas in shtty degrees

ReasonableNprudent

Bronze

Post by ReasonableNprudent » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:56 am

Hmmm... I'll just go ahead and disagree. Coming out of HYS is a pretty sure path to a successful legal career, barring a complete fu#!up.

ReasonableNprudent

Bronze

Post by ReasonableNprudent » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:59 am

Also, people with sub 3.0 gpas basically need to be mega splitters to go to a decent school at a decent price. That basically means almost no one should go to law school, which might be true but not for the reason you give.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:20 am

law is a stupid career. it sucks. it doesnt make you rich, and if it does it eats your life. theres better ways to live. basically ithink of law as a last resort.

ReasonableNprudent

Bronze

Post by ReasonableNprudent » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:30 am

JohannDeMann wrote:law is a stupid career. it sucks. it doesnt make you rich, and if it does it eats your life. theres better ways to live. basically ithink of law as a last resort.
That's a fair enough opinion. I still say OP is the epitome of the person who should go to law school, so long as OP has a genuine interest in law or legal academia and has scoped out the profession enough to have an idea what OP is in for.

The person that should not go to law school is the person with a shitty UG degree and a sub 3.0 gpa. That person should dig ditches or work their way up from some other entry level position. The law-school-as-a-last-resort mentality combined with availability of student loans is why there are too many sh!TTTTy law school and too many unemployed attorneys with too much student loan debt.

bookworm381

New

Post by bookworm381 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:44 pm

Meow Meowsworth wrote:
RZ5646 wrote:Was the mention of your undergrad full ride just boasting or did you actually believe that could somehow impact your law school admissions chances?
I'm giving OP the benefit of the doubt and assuming that he said it to indicate that he has minimal (if any) debt.

Yes, sorry. Definitely not bragging! :shock:
Just put it to say no debt for undergrad. Should've specified! Combo of late night typing and alcohol haha..

Also, retaking the LSAT may not get me a higher score. I studied for several months and 170 was pretty on par for my abilities. Something amazing could happen and I could score higher, but I wouldn't expect it.

Lastly- I definitely want to go to law school and be a lawyer/in law academia. Yes, there are other career options I could pursue, but to treat law like a last resort is a mistake IMO. We need good lawyers just like we need good professionals in other careers.

(Sorry for not quoting, not sure how to quote multiple comments in one post). Thanks for the replies everyone! Definitely will keep you updated :D

Arad

Bronze

Post by Arad » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:53 pm

JohannDeMann wrote:
ReasonableNprudent wrote:^ Huge sample problem with the first list. The second one is more indicative. Lawschoolpredictor has OP at "strong consider" for all of HYS with 63% of the class below OP's numbers.

people that have 0 legit career options. people with sub 3 gpas in shtty degrees

You should never pay sticker for any school unless it's HYS
+ You should only go to a T14 (T13 for the GeorgeTTTown haters, holla back)
+ You should only go to law school if you have a crappy GPA and no other options
_________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody should ever go to Law School

I'm no mathematician but I think I got the addition right.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

RZ5646

Gold

Post by RZ5646 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:09 pm

Realistically what can someone with a 3.9+ liberal arts degree from a regular college and no connections do instead of law? Especially if you have student loans, it seems like crushing the LSAT, going to a good law school for cheap, and getting a shot at a mid- to high-paying job is better than being a barista or office assistant and living in poverty.

pamphleteer

Bronze

Post by pamphleteer » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:17 pm

RZ5646 wrote:Realistically what can someone with a 3.9+ liberal arts degree from a regular college and no connections do instead of law? Especially if you have student loans, it seems like crushing the LSAT, going to a good law school for cheap, and getting a shot at a mid- to high-paying job is better than being a barista or office assistant and living in poverty.
Depending on the degree you could become a sales associate, work in general marketing, do consulting, get a job at a public relations firm, get into human resources, work in accounting, get an IT qualification, work on a political campaign, etc. GPA is ultimately the most significant component of the screening process for the kinds of jobs that hire fresh-faced college grads. You'll still need to interview well and be able to sell your skillset/relevant experience but there are options available to you with a great GPA that are far superior to three years of debt accrual (or, at the very least, three years of opportunity costs) for a coinflip chance (unless you go to something like Yale, which isn't a given at any GPA) at the kind of job that would justify sacrificing three years of income and potential career growth in a different field. Especially when it's a job that everyone seems to detest and burns you out in 2-3 years.

If I hadn't fucked up undergrad as badly as I did I probably wouldn't have even considered law school. TLS provides a lot of valuable advice to applicants but I think people like OP, with sterling academic credentials and what looks like some pretty solid work and internship experience, should be encouraged to pursue non-law options more often. On the flipside, those with terrible college GPAs who can't find gainful employment are probably best served getting their LSAT to a level where they can attend a T14 or strong regional, even at near-sticker. It's still a huge gamble but it beats most of their alternatives at that point.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:41 pm

The OP should most definitely go to law school. She is the perfect combo of neurotic braggy tone deaf striver and will fit right in at the very best law schools in this country.

OP- Retake. Also, check out http://www.mylsn.info for chances

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Post by Pragmatic Gun » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:10 am

BigZuck wrote:The OP should most definitely go to law school. She is the perfect combo of neurotic braggy tone deaf striver and will fit right in at the very best law schools in this country.

OP- Retake. Also, check out http://www.mylsn.info for chances
Lol, come on guys. OP, I'm rooting for you.

Also it is funny when OPs delete their post so as to not out themselves, but someone else quotes their post.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”