Likelihood of getting into evening program at

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
stressed

Likelihood of getting into evening program at

Postby stressed » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:46 am

Hi,

I'm taking the Feb LSAT. So far my test scores are varying around 157-158.
BS (Biotechnology): 3.9
MS(Biotechnology): 3.8
PhD(Developmental Biology):3.8 (Getting recommendation letter from thesis committee professor)
USPTO registered patent agent
3 years of work experience as a scientific advisor/patent agent in the IP law group of a reputed biotech company. (Getting great recommendation letter from both the senior general counsel & executive director of IP group who are my immediate supervisors)
Interned in a tech consulting firm & a research institute as tech transfer intern.

Will my work history, GPA, education profile and recommendation letters cover for my low LSAT score?

I'll really appreciate your opinion on this.

Thanks for reading.

JohannDeMann

Re: Likelihood of getting into evening program at

Postby JohannDeMann » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:51 am

We don't know enough about you to determine. Please post every sport or group you were a part of in middle and high school

mvp99

Postby mvp99 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:57 am

duplicative thread

twenty

Postby twenty » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:58 am

Your work and IP background would make you an ideal candidate for GWU PT's ED (which comes with a full ride). Unfortunately, your LSAT score will keep you out. You must keep studying for the LSAT - I would probably not take it in Feb if you're scoring in the high 150s.

edit> It seems that you're only looking at Fordham? It's possible, but again, increase LSAT or you'll be paying way too much for it.

stressed

Postby stressed » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:06 am

JohannDeMann wrote:We don't know enough about you to determine. Please post every sport or group you were a part of in middle and high school

I'm an Indian citizen under work visa (green card processing). I hold two diploma degrees in Indian vocal classical music and painting. I won state level quiz competitions in high school. I'm also received award and recognition from state and national government for academic achievement.

During bachelors I have done 3 internships in top research labs. Received recognition from national government for academic achievement. During masters I have done one academic and one industry research internships.

During PhD I received full scholarship for the entire duration of my studies. Presented my research in two international and one local research conferences. Taught microbiology undergraduate laboratory course directed for seniors for 5 years. Received one conference travel award and presidents award from my school for academic achievement. I founded the "Career outside academia" monthly seminar and ran it successfully for a year.

I also hold a certificate in Intellectual Property Law from NYU.

As part of my job I regularly draft, file and prosecute patent applications (job responsibilities similar to an IP lawyer). I also do freedom-to-operate analysis and I'm in charge of the competitive intelligence program for the legal group. I also have some docketing experience.
Last edited by stressed on Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

stressed

Postby stressed » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:12 am

twenty wrote:Your work and IP background would make you an ideal candidate for GWU PT's ED (which comes with a full ride). Unfortunately, your LSAT score will keep you out. You must keep studying for the LSAT - I would probably not take it in Feb if you're scoring in the high 150s.

edit> It seems that you're only looking at Fordham? It's possible, but again, increase LSAT or you'll be paying way too much for it.

Since I'm an international citizen, I'm probably not eligible for a scholarship. However my employer is willing to cover 60% of my tuition. I'm looking for part time programs in or around New York area. Fordham is my top choice. If not, I'm considering Brooklyn law.

Frankly, I don't really have much time to study between a full time demanding job and major household responsibilities (my husband is legally blind and is currently working as an assistant professor in a local university. Besides my job and household responsibilities, I also help him out with some of his job responsibilities like checking and answering emails, maintaining grade books etc). So retaking the LSAT won't probably help much.

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:10 am

softs dont matter

retake

twenty

Postby twenty » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:07 pm

stressed wrote:Since I'm an international citizen, I'm probably not eligible for a scholarship.

That is not true, merit scholarships (the most common ones law schools give out, and are entirely contingent upon GPA/LAST) are given with the same regularity as to domestic students.

However my employer is willing to cover 60% of my tuition. I'm looking for part time programs in or around New York area. Fordham is my top choice. If not, I'm considering Brooklyn law.

That's even more incentive to retake the LSAT. You don't have to make TONS of improvement on the LSAT, you just have to do well enough to make up that extra 40% of tuition.

Frankly, I don't really have much time to study between a full time demanding job and major household responsibilities (my husband is legally blind and is currently working as an assistant professor in a local university. Besides my job and household responsibilities, I also help him out with some of his job responsibilities like checking and answering emails, maintaining grade books etc). So retaking the LSAT won't probably help much.

If you don't have time to study for an LSAT retake, how on earth are you going to have enough time to be a part time law student? Law school is significantly more time-intensive than the LSAT is.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:23 pm

twenty wrote:If you don't have time to study for an LSAT retake, how on earth are you going to have enough time to be a part time law student? Law school is significantly more time-intensive than the LSAT is.

but he wants to go to law school. he doesn't want to study for the LSAT.

stressed

Postby stressed » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:58 am

fats provolone wrote:
twenty wrote:If you don't have time to study for an LSAT retake, how on earth are you going to have enough time to be a part time law student? Law school is significantly more time-intensive than the LSAT is.

but he wants to go to law school. he doesn't want to study for the LSAT.

Well first of all, it's a she.
Second of all, I can well manage time when it comes to structured studying and assignments. It's studying my own that I don't do well. Other works always take over.
Just to give you a glimpse, at one point I was working on two different internships, took 5 courses (managed A in 3, A- in 1 and B in another), wrote my PhD thesis and a research manuscript and also finished my key experiments in one semester. So I know if I'm in such a situation, I can do it again.

But thanks again for all your feedbacks and comments. I really appreciate it.

rdawkins28

Postby rdawkins28 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:23 am

Seems like you have a decent chance if you get 158. Of course a little more studying would improve your chances.

As a former student of a different evening program, I met several other older students who were there on their companies' dime. First, it's very hard to fail out of LS. Heck, I was working full time and barely studied. And second, most of these employers AFAIK didn't really care about the grades as long as these students passed, got their JD, and passed the bar. Your company might be different.

So you'll be fine. Just try to get at least 161.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:38 am

"It is the habit of mankind to entrust to careless hope what they long for, and to use sovereign reason to thrust aside what they do not desire"

lawschoolftw

Postby lawschoolftw » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:48 am

Really need to re-take the LSAT. The fact that you've been able to handle so much in the past demonstrates that you should be able to diligently study for the LSAT. Brooklyn's probably not worth going to (if you'd even get in at those numbers) and you're a huge reach at getting into Fordham. Re-take, re-take, re-take, no matter how unpleasant it may be.

rdawkins28

Postby rdawkins28 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:56 am

lawschoolftw wrote:Really need to re-take the LSAT. The fact that you've been able to handle so much in the past demonstrates that you should be able to diligently study for the LSAT. Brooklyn's probably not worth going to (if you'd even get in at those numbers) and you're a huge reach at getting into Fordham. Re-take, re-take, re-take, no matter how unpleasant it may be.

"I'm taking the Feb LSAT. So far my test scores are varying around 157-158."

lawschoolftw

Postby lawschoolftw » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:11 pm

rdawkins28 wrote:
lawschoolftw wrote:Really need to re-take the LSAT. The fact that you've been able to handle so much in the past demonstrates that you should be able to diligently study for the LSAT. Brooklyn's probably not worth going to (if you'd even get in at those numbers) and you're a huge reach at getting into Fordham. Re-take, re-take, re-take, no matter how unpleasant it may be.

"I'm taking the Feb LSAT. So far my test scores are varying around 157-158."

RC fail. I can admit when I'm wrong.

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:23 pm

rdawkins28 wrote:Seems like you have a decent chance if you get 158. Of course a little more studying would improve your chances.

As a former student of a different evening program, I met several other older students who were there on their companies' dime. First, it's very hard to fail out of LS. Heck, I was working full time and barely studied. And second, most of these employers AFAIK didn't really care about the grades as long as these students passed, got their JD, and passed the bar. Your company might be different.

you may be better at law school than most people.

rdawkins28

Postby rdawkins28 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:21 pm

AReasonableMan wrote:
rdawkins28 wrote:Seems like you have a decent chance if you get 158. Of course a little more studying would improve your chances.

you may be better at law school than most people.

If grades were any indication, then no. Right at the middle of the pack.

But then, most people in my evening program were pretty laid back. Some gunners and some ultra-slackers, but other than that, a bunch of older folks with family who studied a little in the evening and mostly on weekends. We generally had no illusion of biglaw or midlaw where I went. Exceptions exist of course. Most pretty much knew that their path was through family business, current job, close friends, going solo, etc.

Average was slightly more than 3.0. Didn't really matter to most if they ended up with a B-, B or a B+ average. If you just showed up and did some minimal work, you're pretty much guaranteed a C+. Even then, it's not like it affects your employment outcome. Other schools are probably different, but I imagined the TTTTTTs like the cash cow too much to fail anyone unless that person didn't show up for the final or didn't turn in a major paper.

Yes, it's a completely different world from TLS T14-or-bust mentality.

stressed

Postby stressed » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:10 pm

Hi,

I have one more question to ask. I'm getting mails from law schools ranking from 13-35 ( Georgetown, University of Washington Seattle, Alabama, Notre Dame etc) encouraging me to apply with a application fee waiver and scholarship opportunities. So how common is this and how much do these schools actually honor these? I never had these kind of mails when I registered for GRE.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:34 pm

stressed wrote:Hi,
I have one more question to ask. I'm getting mails from law schools ranking from 13-35 ( Georgetown, University of Washington Seattle, Alabama, Notre Dame etc) encouraging me to apply with a application fee waiver and scholarship opportunities. So how common is this and how much do these schools actually honor these? I never had these kind of mails when I registered for GRE.

They would honor the fee waivers, but receiving a fee waiver isn't indicative of anything. Schools send out free waivers to people they don't intend on ever accepting in order to appear more selective for rankings purposes.

stressed

Postby stressed » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:32 pm

Dirigo wrote:They would honor the fee waivers, but receiving a fee waiver isn't indicative of anything. Schools send out free waivers to people they don't intend on ever accepting in order to appear more selective for rankings purposes.

Thanks. I was wondering about this. PhD programs in general never offer fee waiver unless they are willing to actually accept the candidate. So I wasn't sure how it is here.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:37 pm

Even with a 158, you'll likely be admitted to many law schools above your numbers due to your other degrees.

stressed

Postby stressed » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:57 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Even with a 158, you'll likely be admitted to many law schools above your numbers due to your other degrees.

I hope so. One good news is CAS has finally evaluated my undergrad transcripts. My undergrad GPA is now 4.2 with triple major. Hope that will help to offset my LSAT score.

Patent2014

Postby Patent2014 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:04 pm

FWIW, I have a similar background to yours and biglaw/IP firms were practically begging me to spend my 1L summer with them and I'm at a T30 school. They all love it when they're able to find a PhD with IP experience AND status as a registered patent agent. Just try to go to the best school you can and you'll have plenty of opportunities. Good luck!

stressed

Postby stressed » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:36 am

Patent2014 wrote:FWIW, I have a similar background to yours and biglaw/IP firms were practically begging me to spend my 1L summer with them and I'm at a T30 school. They all love it when they're able to find a PhD with IP experience AND status as a registered patent agent. Just try to go to the best school you can and you'll have plenty of opportunities. Good luck!

Thanks. This is the best boost up before exam. I'll keep you guys updated about my happenings. :)

stressed

Postby stressed » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:28 pm

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. Here's a quick update.
I have since scored 156 on LSAT. I have applied to the part time programs at Fordham, Cardozo, Rutgers Newark, Seton Hall, Brooklyn Law School, New York Law School, Pace and Suffolk Law school.

So far

Pace offered a full tuition covered admission
for Cardozo & Rutgers Newark after scholarship, I have to pay $5000 a year (since my employer is going to cover up to $10,000 a year, I think I'm good).

Still waiting to hear from the rest. I'll keep you updated as soon as I hear back from then. So far, keeping my fingers crossed for Fordham.

Return to “What are my chances?”