Seriously stressed about getting into Law School

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Formerpremed

Seriously stressed about getting into Law School

Postby Formerpremed » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:19 pm

Hi everyone. I made a post here awhile ago. My cumulative GPA right now as a junior is a 3.94 at this school(I transferred to this school after my first year at a different one). My first year at a different school I did not do well and I received a 3.33 GPA. I met with my pre-law adviser and she basically laughed at me when I asked her about my chances of getting into my dream school (U of Chicago). She told me that I should be taking the June LSAT when I have only made this decision over winter break. She said if I wait one more year, law schools will think I only did it to boost my GPA? I kind of questioned it but she seemed adamant about it. She told me that I am also at a disadvantage because I don't have any legal ECs or work experience. She also told me not to apply early decision to U of Chicago even though it is my top choice. Overall, I think she might have been giving me bad advice. I want to make sure I have some sort of chance at getting into a good law school before I spend a lot of money on LSAT prep. That's why I am putting this topic in the what are my chances thread.
Last edited by Formerpremed on Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ron Don Volante

Re: Seriously stressed about getting into Law School

Postby Ron Don Volante » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:23 pm

Is that your LSAC gpa?

If so, you're in great shape. Kill the LSAT and U Chicago is very realistic. You only ED places if you're rich, as they don't give scholarships to ED admits, so that was probably good advice, even though prelaw advisers are generally fucking terrible at everything.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:37 pm

Prelaw advisors are usually totally ignorant. You'll get much, much better advice here on TLS.

Schools generally don't care about your grade trends; what matters most is your LSAC GPA. To the extent they do care about grade trends, they like to see an upward trend. Also, they don't care all that much about your extracurriculars. People attend law school from all kinds of backgrounds. It would be nice if you had some involvement in something as an undergrad, but it doesn't have to be law.

GPA/LSAT are by far the most important factors. You need to study hard and crush the LSAT. It's not too late to start prepping for June. If you don't do well enough in June, retake in the fall.

Winter is Coming

Postby Winter is Coming » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:47 pm

If 3.94 is your cumulative (LSAC) GPA, study for the June LSAT and you can go anywhere you want.

thisone2014

Postby thisone2014 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:49 pm

Formerpremed wrote: My cumulative GPA right now as a junior is a 3.94. My first year I did not do well and I received a 3.33 GPA.

your year-to-year GPA doesn't make a difference. especially with such an excellent cumulative GPA, it really doesn't matter.
Formerpremed wrote: I met with my pre-law adviser and she basically laughed at me when I asked her about my chances of getting into my dream school (U of Chicago).

This confuses me... a 3.94 would put you in great shape for Chicago. In fact, it'd put you in great shape for pretty much every school. Are you saying that your Junior Year (only) GPA is a 3.94?
Formerpremed wrote:She told me that I should be taking the June LSAT when I have only made this decision over winter break. She said if I wait one more year, law schools will think I only did it to boost my GPA?

Why would when you take your LSAT have any relevance to your GPA?
Formerpremed wrote:She told me that I am also at a disadvantage because I don't have any legal ECs or work experience.

What? this is nonsense. reeaaaallly doesn't matter for admissions.
Formerpremed wrote:She also told me not to apply early decision to U of Chicago even though it is my top choice. Overall, I think she might have been giving me bad advice.

you probably shouldn't apply early. The advantage it gives you is probably negligible, and you'll have no chance at any merit $$$. Only you can decided that though. Best of luck w your apps.
Last edited by thisone2014 on Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Longtimecoming19

Postby Longtimecoming19 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:05 pm

Your pre-law advisor is an idiot.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:18 pm

From the OP's previous thread:
Formerpremed wrote:My GPA: This will be a large issue with the T14. My GPA is a 3.94 cumulative HOWEVER my freshman year I was at a different school and had a horrible GPA (3.33......) I know that the schools will recalculate my GPA with my terrible first year.

It seems as if you've made a good turnaround. Keep it up for the next two years and your LSDAS GPA shouldn't be too bad.

Ignore your prelaw adviser's advice expect the "Don't ED" part.

UnicornHunter

Postby UnicornHunter » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:22 pm

Yea, a 3.94 sounds kind of impossible if you has a whole year of 3.33 grades...

OP, learn what cumulative means before you go any further. Then, finish school and continue to do well. Then work for a few years. If you still want to go to law school, kill the LSAT.

Formerpremed

Postby Formerpremed » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:17 pm

Hi everyone, I apologize for the confusion. After the 3.33 GPA from freshman year, I transferred to a different school. I have been at this school sophomore year and now am in my junior year and my cumulative GPA here is a 3.94 GPA. I am sorry for the misunderstanding, I should have been more clear.

Atmosphere

Postby Atmosphere » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:22 pm

Formerpremed wrote:Hi everyone, I apologize for the confusion. After the 3.33 GPA from freshman year, I transferred to a different school. I have been at this school sophomore year and now am in my junior year and my cumulative GPA here is a 3.94 GPA. I am sorry for the misunderstanding, I should have been more clear.

LSAC will also factor in your old GPA, but if you keep it up you'll be in a solid GPA position nonetheless

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:24 pm

Put all of your grades and credits from both schools in a gpa calculator and tell us your gpa

thisone2014

Postby thisone2014 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:30 pm

Clearly wrote:Put all of your grades and credits from both schools in a gpa calculator and tell us your gpa

This. But let's say, ballpark, you took about the same # of credits year to year. You'll have just over a 3.7. That puts you in a fine position.

Now you need to focus on finishing out your last year strong and on the LSAT. To get an idea of what's within your reach, check out these sources:
http://mylsn.info/
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:41 pm

Chicago's 25/50/75 GPA is 3.79/3.9/3.97
LSAT is 166/170/172

Finish your junior year (and senior year) strong and you should be able to crest that 3.79 to put you in the running with a strong LSAT score. Your dreams of UChicago Law are certainly not dead.

MattM

Postby MattM » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:17 pm

I also think you have a shot dependent on application pool.

2013 had less apps than 2014 at Chicago even though apps took a downturn in most law schools from 2013 to 2014.

In 2013 the bottom 25% GPA was a 3.67 compared to a 3.79 in 2014

The basic rule of thumb is that if you are at a school's lower 25% GPA you will need to hit the school's 75% LSAT to be competitive. In most cases you have a decent chance if at the 25/75 mark

With that being said though Chicago does place a bit more emphasis on GPA compared to its peer schools in the CCN range

Return to “What are my chances?”