Will anyone care about my grad degree with 4.0 GPA?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
lunixer

Will anyone care about my grad degree with 4.0 GPA?

Postby lunixer » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:00 pm

Last edited by lunixer on Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MistakenGenius

Post removed.

Postby MistakenGenius » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:12 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ron Don Volante

Re: Will anyone care about my grad degree with 4.0 GPA?

Postby Ron Don Volante » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:22 pm

No, your graduate degree will not make much of any difference. Nor will your softs; you need to have done something seriously impressive or cool (e.g. Rhode Scholar or Rock Star) to overcome your LSAT/GPA.

With a score like what you're estimating, T14 is not looking good. Even if you could crack an acceptance to the lower T14, it's not going to be worth going, as you're not going to get a substantial scholarship, and no school in that range is worth >200K in debt.

If you don't think you're going to crack like at least 168, don't take the test. Push back your date and save the take.

Good luck.

lunixer

Postby lunixer » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:31 pm

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:45 pm

lunixer wrote:Well that's all very depressing. Unfortunately I've already sent apps for this round of admissions, so I can't push back the test date.

Sent you a PM, mistakengenius.

Well even if you did better than you think on the Feb exam it's going to be a better idea to wait a cycle. Everyone underperforms like crazy when Feb is their first score.

This cycle is probably not going to work out for you either way, unfortunately. If you save the take, you get a crack in June, October, and December to crush the next cycle. Hopefully you don't need three takes to get the score you need, but many people do; I'd hate to see you waste it.

lunixer

Postby lunixer » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:15 am

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:19 am

lunixer wrote:Why do people underperform in February?

Is there any reason why I couldn't take now and then take again in June? Or is there a strategic reason to skip it now?

Because you don't get your score until March, and the cycle is essentially over by that time. It's an incredible disadvantage for the adcomms to not have even begun reviewing your application until about a month until the first deposit deadline is due.

No, of course you can take it right away in June. But if you weren't aware, you can only take the test three times in any two year period. So if you're not ready to take it in February, you should not do it, as that saves you the opportunity to take it next December if you don't do so well in June and October.

Return to “What are my chances?”