Chance Me!! (Includes decisions that have already been made)

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Madilevi

Chance Me!! (Includes decisions that have already been made)

Postby Madilevi » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:06 pm

I am a senior undergrad at a top ten program. 3.52/164. Average GPA at my school is a 3.3. Below are the schools I have applied to and the decisions I have heard back. Anyone heard from the schools I haven't heard from? What do you think my chances are?

UVA - Rejected
UC Berkeley -
Duke -
U Michigan - Rejected
UT Austin - Rejected
Georgetown - Waitlist
UCLA - Waitlist
Vanderbilt -
WashU -
Emory -
USC -
George Washington - Waitlist
UW - Accepted
Arizona State - Accepted
UNC - Accepted ($$)
UC Davis - Accepted
University of Arizona - Accepted
UC Boulder - Accepted ($$)

ballcaps

Re: Chance Me!! (Includes decisions that have already been made)

Postby ballcaps » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:10 pm

sry bro

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:10 pm

Going to need to retake, in all probability. Most of the schools you're waiting on wouldn't be worth going to if you were accepted, as you're not going to get a scholarship. Where are you from?

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:19 pm

What are your career goals?
How are you paying for law school?
Where do you want to work geographically?

If you don't retake, your best bet will be the last 5 schools on your list. Negotiate a full ride out of them (a 164 is relatively good for those school and it's a buyer's market.) Of course this is only if you have very modest goals (not biglaw) and would be fine staying in the respective state for your entire career.

Madilevi

Postby Madilevi » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:23 pm

I am from Arizona. I go to undergrad in Philadelphia. I am interested mostly in politics/constitutional law. I have spent the last few summers working in U.S. senators offices.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:30 pm

Madilevi wrote:I am from Arizona. I go to undergrad in Philadelphia. I am interested mostly in politics/constitutional law. I have spent the last few summers working in U.S. senators offices.

You don't need a law degree to get involved in politics.
And for constitutional law, you need to go to Harvard...in the 1950's/60's. Or at least that's the joke.

Nevertheless, ASU and UA sound like your best bets. A full-ride from those schools is certainly attainable with your current stats so play hardball and negotiate if need-be.
Really consider if law is the right path for you though. You really shouldn't expect anything more than a modest outcome. Modest means a small law firm and making $40-50k/year. It doesn't really sound like you actually want to practice law given your goals.

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:59 pm

One of the Arizonas with close to a full ride is going to be probably the only justifiable choice you'll have with these numbers. If you want something else, you will need to retake.

But if you want to practice constitutional law, you need to find another profession, because that doesn't exist for our purposes. If you want to get involved in politics, then do it. Do not get a law degree, though; it's completely unnecessary.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:08 pm

Dirigo wrote:
Madilevi wrote:I am from Arizona. I go to undergrad in Philadelphia. I am interested mostly in politics/constitutional law. I have spent the last few summers working in U.S. senators offices.

You don't need a law degree to get involved in politics.
And for constitutional law, you need to go to Harvard...in the 1950's/60's. Or at least that's the joke.

Nevertheless, ASU and UA sound like your best bets. A full-ride from those schools is certainly attainable with your current stats so play hardball and negotiate if need-be.
Really consider if law is the right path for you though. You really shouldn't expect anything more than a modest outcome. Modest means a small law firm and making $40-50k/year. It doesn't really sound like you actually want to practice law given your goals.

Agree with all of this.

Retake if you are serious about going to law school.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:42 am

a 3.5 from penn undergrad will net you a far better outcome than any of those schools. Should get a job and retake if you really want to go to law school.

Dog

Postby Dog » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:16 am

ballcaps wrote:Image

sry bro

The good news is Yale hasn't rejected anyone with OP's numbers.

Return to “What are my chances?”