3.3 GPA BS and MS...Former Med student

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Ouchie

3.3 GPA BS and MS...Former Med student

Postby Ouchie » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:39 pm

Hi, Im 27 years old, with a BS in Molecular & Microbio, and a MS in Molecular Medicine. My GPA for both majors was a 3.3. I went to medical school for a year and dropped out. I have been working in Clinical Research for 3 years now, and was considering law school, and taking the LSAT in June 2015. What are your thoughts regarding someone with my background, getting into a top law school, given my average-to-below average GPA? Is it worth taking the time and effort to study for the LSAT? Thanks

Rigo

Re: 3.3 GPA BS and MS...Former Med student

Postby Rigo » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:25 pm

Ouchie wrote:Hi, Im 27 years old, with a BS in Molecular & Microbio, and a MS in Molecular Medicine. My GPA for both majors was a 3.3. I went to medical school for a year and dropped out. I have been working in Clinical Research for 3 years now, and was considering law school, and taking the LSAT in June 2015. What are your thoughts regarding someone with my background, getting into a top law school, given my average-to-below average GPA? Is it worth taking the time and effort to study for the LSAT? Thanks

People with your GPA get into good law schools every year. You will need a high LSAT score to outweigh your sub-par GPA.

It doesn't sound like you're too gung-ho about law though. What are your career goals?

Ouchie

Postby Ouchie » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:28 am

thanks for the reply.

lol..i probably didn't sound gung-ho because i was typing away while i was at my mind-numbing job. actually, i am very interested in law school. as for my career goals, i definitely want to do something with international law. more specifically, dealing with the foreign policies/humanitarian/social issues that relate to bridging the gap of understanding and communication between the USA and middle eastern/muslim countries. and also deal with social justice issues here at home regarding the same topic.

on a tangent, im completely brand new to all of this law school stuff... ive been looking around this forum for a couple of days now...what is T14, T20, etc? my understanding is that they are top schools, but what schools fall under those categories?

thank you!

Ouchie

Postby Ouchie » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:45 am

I also have another question...

I have zero law background/experience. I work full time and am studying for LSAT in the evenings. Would NOT having law volunteering experience be held against me? I mean I'm pretty just doing a complete 180...from being a clinical medical person>>> law

How do I prove to the admissions committe that I want to actually do law now (besides getting a good LSAT score)?

Thanks

Dog

Postby Dog » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:00 am

You will not need to prove your dedication to the law to get into a good law school. Your GPA and LSAT are the only things that will significantly affect your chances. Purely from an admissions standpoint, doing other things isn't really worthwhile if your sole goal is to boost your applications in the vast majority of cases.

I would still advise you to make an effort to get to know the field for your own personal sake. It's a huge commitment and based on your desired goal you sound like a bit of a dreamer. There's a good chance you won't be enhancing diplomatic relations with the middle east doing international law. If you don't do anything with the law beforehand, you could easily end up disappointed by another career.
Last edited by Dog on Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

fra

Postby fra » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:01 am

I am also doing a complete 180 from the sciences to law. I think that your personal statement is a good place to explain why you are transitioning and how skills you've developed in your medical education and work can be applied to law. This is also something that will likely come up in your interviews for admission, so you should have a well thought out answer for why you are leaving your current field, why you are transitioning to law, and how your past experiences will help you.

Getting a good LSAT score is not a good reason to change careers. You should have good reasons other than testing aptitude to make such a large life change - if you don't then you should take some time to think about what you really want to do.

Ouchie

Postby Ouchie » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:30 am

fra, just curious..why are you switching to law from the medical field?

dog, what could i do in international law that is in line with my interests that is more 'realistic'?

thanks

fra

Postby fra » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:45 am

Nope, IP Law from Engineering. IP requires or encourages (depending on what you want to do) a hard science background, so it's not a hard sell to law schools. IP jobs for people with hard science background also seem fairly easy to secure compared to other legal work (with the same restrictions as every legal job - go to a good school, get good grades).

I am switching because engineering industry was boring and because my dream career (academia) isn't likely to happen. I've also done a lot of research into the law to see if I would enjoy it - I've sat in on law classes, talked to law students and practicing lawyers, and taken some law classes through coursera. I mention all of these things in my application/interviews, so it's clear to admissions that I know what I'm doing. A law degree will allow me to get a job more easily (note: not just any law degree - a degree from a good school) than my MS in a hard science and that legal job will have more possibility for career growth and a (much) higher paycheck. I'm hoping that my future law job will be more interesting than my previous engineering jobs (and from talking to other IP lawyers - I think that it will be) but even if it isn't - I'm more willing to put up with the boredom for $160,000 than I am for $60,000.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:41 pm

Ouchie wrote:im completely brand new to all of this law school stuff... ive been looking around this forum for a couple of days now...what is T14, T20, etc? my understanding is that they are top schools, but what schools fall under those categories?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv? ... GhScXZhMXc
Here is a spreadsheet that shows the current ranking and class profile for every school.

T14 schools have portable degrees and you can theoretically practice anywhere in the country because employers all over recognize a JD from those schools is very prestigious. Given your international/public interest goals, a T14 school will be your best bet if you can get it with a good scholarship. That will be hard to do with a 3.3, so you need to get at least a 170+ LSAT and effectively become a "splitter" (above 75% LSAT, below 25% GPA).

T20 is a distinction which includes "strong regionals." These schools don't have the portability of the T14, but they are still respectable. Washington University in St. Louis (WUSTL) is very generous with splitter candidates, so that will be a school you should definitely eventually apply to, even if only to use for scholarship negotiation with other schools.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:22 am

you can get into med school with a 3.3? I thought you had to have like a 3.8+

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:59 am

Ouchie wrote:fra, just curious..why are you switching to law from the medical field?

dog, what could i do in international law that is in line with my interests that is more 'realistic'?

thanks

International law is an extremely tough field to enter, because there are very few jobs and so employers can afford to be extremely selective. Often someone's pre-LS experiences and skills (like languages) are a big part of getting hired. It's also not clear that most jobs addressing the kind of issues you've identified require a JD. Often the advice is to go work in the field for a while to get experience and see if you really do need a JD to do what you're aiming for.

Return to “What are my chances?”