Chances at Chicago or Northwestern?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Formerpremed
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:21 pm

Chances at Chicago or Northwestern?

Postby Formerpremed » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:33 am

GPA: Currently 3.94 however, first year was spent at a different school and my GPA was very low (3.3) so my GPA will need to be recalculated.
Year: Junior
Major: Psychology
Generic extracurricular activities. VP of a club, treasurer of another, tutoring, and a lot of volunteering work but nothing that unique...
LSAT: Have not yet taken it.... I hope to do well and will be studying a lot everyday.
Unfortunately I do not have work experience (I know that Northwestern prefers it.)

*Question: Also, Chicago and Northwestern would be my absolute top choices. Would it be beneficial to apply ED to one of them?

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: Chances at Chicago or Northwestern?

Postby 03152016 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:49 am

impossible to say until you have an lsat score and an lsac gpa

User avatar
PeanutsNJam
Posts: 3699
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:57 pm

Re: Chances at Chicago or Northwestern?

Postby PeanutsNJam » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:23 pm

Get 168+ on the LSAT and ED to NU, don't ED to Chicago. ED to NU = full ride, ED to Chicago = full sticker. NU > Chi IMO anyway.

musedreverie
Posts: 256
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:01 am

Re: Chances at Chicago or Northwestern?

Postby musedreverie » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:54 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:Get 168+ on the LSAT and ED to NU, don't ED to Chicago. ED to NU = full ride, ED to Chicago = full sticker. NU > Chi IMO anyway.

Really? Why do you say that? (Not the thing about full ride beating sticker, but about NU>Chicago)

I'm curious because I'm debating with myself on whether I should have applied/ should apply to NU

Big Dog
Posts: 1191
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Chances at Chicago or Northwestern?

Postby Big Dog » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:53 pm

Currently 3.94...


Not relevant.

my GPA will need to be recalculated.


Then do it.

Then estimate your GPA after a full senior year of ~3.9.

(Yes, that means take a gap year so you can boost your cumulative, i.e., LSAC GPA.)
Last edited by Big Dog on Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4166
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: Chances at Chicago or Northwestern?

Postby Clearly » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:54 pm

lol

GPA: Unknown
LSAT: Unknown
Generic softs

Can I get into top law schools?

mickey_mouse
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:12 pm

Re: Chances at Chicago or Northwestern?

Postby mickey_mouse » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:17 pm

LOL yea bro, you're a lock for both...

User avatar
downbeat14
Posts: 545
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:00 am

Re: Chances at Chicago or Northwestern?

Postby downbeat14 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:54 pm

.
Last edited by downbeat14 on Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: Chances at Chicago or Northwestern?

Postby 03152016 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:29 pm

musedreverie wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:Get 168+ on the LSAT and ED to NU, don't ED to Chicago. ED to NU = full ride, ED to Chicago = full sticker. NU > Chi IMO anyway.

Really? Why do you say that? (Not the thing about full ride beating sticker, but about NU>Chicago)

I'm curious because I'm debating with myself on whether I should have applied/ should apply to NU

chi is a better school
doesn't make sense not to throw an app to nu though, see what they offer

User avatar
Kratos
Posts: 6779
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:50 pm

Re: Chances at Chicago or Northwestern?

Postby Kratos » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:09 pm


User avatar
Mack.Hambleton
Posts: 5417
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:09 am

Re: Chances at Chicago or Northwestern?

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:20 am

musedreverie wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:Get 168+ on the LSAT and ED to NU, don't ED to Chicago. ED to NU = full ride, ED to Chicago = full sticker. NU > Chi IMO anyway.

Really? Why do you say that? (Not the thing about full ride beating sticker, but about NU>Chicago)

I'm curious because I'm debating with myself on whether I should have applied/ should apply to NU


Chicago has better placement, but Evanston >>> Hyde park and many people would prefer the atmosphere and culture at NW more

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: Chances at Chicago or Northwestern?

Postby 03152016 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:24 am

what a terrific rationale

sure, 13% higher lt/ft/jd
9% higher bl+fc

BUT THE ATMOSPHERE YOU GUYS

User avatar
Mack.Hambleton
Posts: 5417
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:09 am

Re: Chances at Chicago or Northwestern?

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:26 am

Brut wrote:what a terrific rationale

sure, 13% higher lt/ft/jd
9% higher bl+fc

BUT THE ATMOSPHERE YOU GUYS


9% bl/fc would be worth it just so you don't have to live on the south side

LePeanut
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:08 pm

Re: Chances at Chicago or Northwestern?

Postby LePeanut » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:42 am

Mack.Hambleton wrote:
musedreverie wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:Get 168+ on the LSAT and ED to NU, don't ED to Chicago. ED to NU = full ride, ED to Chicago = full sticker. NU > Chi IMO anyway.

Really? Why do you say that? (Not the thing about full ride beating sticker, but about NU>Chicago)

I'm curious because I'm debating with myself on whether I should have applied/ should apply to NU


Chicago has better placement, but Evanston >>> Hyde park and many people would prefer the atmosphere and culture at NW more


NU is in downtown Chicago, not Evanston.

User avatar
PeanutsNJam
Posts: 3699
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:57 pm

Re: Chances at Chicago or Northwestern?

Postby PeanutsNJam » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:31 pm

Brut wrote:
musedreverie wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:Get 168+ on the LSAT and ED to NU, don't ED to Chicago. ED to NU = full ride, ED to Chicago = full sticker. NU > Chi IMO anyway.

Really? Why do you say that? (Not the thing about full ride beating sticker, but about NU>Chicago)

I'm curious because I'm debating with myself on whether I should have applied/ should apply to NU

chi is a better school


If someone is accepted to both Chi and NU, yeah Chi has better employment but NU will invariable offer much more scholarship money (if you're Chi medians you're probably in at NU ED).

I think NU's +money equates to Chi's +9% bl/fc.

If you remove scholarship, location, and employment stats from comparisons (those three are the most important), I'd pick NU any day.

If I'm getting the same money offer from both schools, then yeah I'd pick Chi of course.

User avatar
Dog
Posts: 371
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:00 am

Re: Chances at Chicago or Northwestern?

Postby Dog » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:37 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:
Brut wrote:
musedreverie wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:Get 168+ on the LSAT and ED to NU, don't ED to Chicago. ED to NU = full ride, ED to Chicago = full sticker. NU > Chi IMO anyway.

Really? Why do you say that? (Not the thing about full ride beating sticker, but about NU>Chicago)

I'm curious because I'm debating with myself on whether I should have applied/ should apply to NU

chi is a better school


If someone is accepted to both Chi and NU, yeah Chi has better employment but NU will invariable offer much more scholarship money (if you're Chi medians you're probably in at NU ED).

I think NU's +money equates to Chi's +9% bl/fc.

If you remove scholarship, location, and employment stats from comparisons (those three are the most important), I'd pick NU any day.

If I'm getting the same money offer from both schools, then yeah I'd pick Chi of course.


Chicago has a definite employment advantage in some areas. If you're going purely off of numbers and assume equal cost, it makes sense to pick Chi over NU.

That said, I don't think it is crazy to pick NU over Chi if you like the school/location/etc. significantly better. Law school is 3 years of your life. To be fair, I'm headed to NU and would have most likely picked Chi at equal cost. It wouldn't be totally insane to do the opposite though.

Advice to OP: get an lsdas gpa of 3.5 or better (preferably 3.6), get a 170+ LSAT score, consider taking a year off, and ED NU.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests