Alien kid S+168

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
User avatar
williamsun
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:39 am

Alien kid S+168

Postby williamsun » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:07 am

Hey fellas it's my first post here and it seems awesome to be around this forum!

I'm a Beijing kid with a LSAT score of 168 (1st try) and submitted my applications to all T14 law schools except HYS+Boalt+Penn+Cornell on Feb 3. Now I do reasonably feel that I'm screwed but I'm still hoping some of them will be so lenient to let me in. Please accept my gratitude in advance for anyone who would like to tell my fortunes XD

So basically I've got
1) one year exchange experience
2) Internship experience for a quarter in a pro bono human rights firm in D.C.
3) LoRs from cool American professors
4) Parents who cannot really afford my tuition 100%
5) Chinese bar (legal, not drink)
6) Well, a bunch of Chinese undergrad scholarships

I mean, I really want to get into some T14 law schools but I'm not quite sure whether the stats and calculations from websites such as lawschoolpredictor.com or LSN means anything for International applicants. Google says there are roughly 150k LSAT takers every year and that's to say 6,000 people are ahead of me on it, while the capacity of T14 schools are certainly not enough for all these dudes.

Also since I'm Asian male so it can be even harder. If things really don't work out I'll just consider working as a strip dancer at some Beijing gay bars (for alcohol) part-time so I can take the test again around June and that will probably enrich my diversity statement.


What do you say? :D
Last edited by williamsun on Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:31 am, edited 6 times in total.

User avatar
Nebby
Posts: 22059
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: International kid L/168 ...where I go?Thanks^^

Postby Nebby » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:45 am

The predictor has not been updated with the numbers from the 2013/14 cycle, and the median LSAT dropped during that time-period. I would at least apply to the bottom-T14.

User avatar
williamsun
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:39 am

Re: International kid L/168 ...where I go?Thanks^^

Postby williamsun » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:48 am

CounselorNebby wrote:The predictor has not been updated with the numbers from the 2013/14 cycle, and the median LSAT dropped during that time-period. I would at least apply to the bottom-T14.


Wow thank you!^^

User avatar
Nebby
Posts: 22059
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: International kid L/168 ...where I go?Thanks^^

Postby Nebby » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:54 am

williamsun wrote:
CounselorNebby wrote:The predictor has not been updated with the numbers from the 2013/14 cycle, and the median LSAT dropped during that time-period. I would at least apply to the bottom-T14.


Wow thank you!^^

The ABA Form 509 will have the information concerning the GPAs and LSATs for the 13/14 cycle. I compiled the majority of the T14's 509s here: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=241498

The few not posted were because I made that post concerning transfer stats, but you can easily find the missing 509s by going to the law school's website.

For instance, for 2013/2014 cycle at Georgetown, the LSAT 25/50/75 percentile was: 163/167/168; GPA 25/50/75 was: 3.48/3.75/3.84.

You would get into there with your numbers.

musedreverie
Posts: 256
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:01 am

Re: International kid L/168 ...where I go?Thanks^^

Postby musedreverie » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:07 am

Hey there International applicant, why don't you come and join our International applicant thread, class of 2018; I know we don't have much to go on because of our lack of GPA, but your LSAT should be a good indicator of how your cycle will go.

Further to Counselor's link to all 509s, starting with 2013/2014 509s, they started including number of people per school without a reportable GPA (i.e. us internationals educated abroad). That should provide a fair guideline on how many internationals actually get in to each law schools. So you might want to gauge on that as well!

User avatar
williamsun
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:39 am

Re: International kid L/168 ...where I go?Thanks^^

Postby williamsun » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:08 am

CounselorNebby wrote:
williamsun wrote:
CounselorNebby wrote:The predictor has not been updated with the numbers from the 2013/14 cycle, and the median LSAT dropped during that time-period. I would at least apply to the bottom-T14.


Wow thank you!^^

The ABA Form 509 will have the information concerning the GPAs and LSATs for the 13/14 cycle. I compiled the majority of the T14's 509s here: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=241498

The few not posted were because I made that post concerning transfer stats, but you can easily find the missing 509s by going to the law school's website.

For instance, for 2013/2014 cycle at Georgetown, the LSAT 25/50/75 percentile was: 163/167/168; GPA 25/50/75 was: 3.48/3.75/3.84.

You would get into there with your numbers.


Thank you, sir!^^ I never expected such a huge gold mine. That's good bed-time reading material :D

User avatar
williamsun
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:39 am

Re: International kid L/168 ...where I go?Thanks^^

Postby williamsun » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:13 am

musedreverie wrote:Hey there International applicant, why don't you come and join our International applicant thread, class of 2018; I know we don't have much to go on because of our lack of GPA, but your LSAT should be a good indicator of how your cycle will go.

Further to Counselor's link to all 509s, starting with 2013/2014 509s, they started including number of people per school without a reportable GPA (i.e. us internationals educated abroad). That should provide a fair guideline on how many internationals actually get in to each law schools. So you might want to gauge on that as well!


Thank you! I've already started reading the thread^^ Hope that helps!~

User avatar
williamsun
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:39 am

Re: International kid L/168 ...where I go?Thanks^^

Postby williamsun » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:52 pm

LSAC gave me an S for my undergrat GPA :)

User avatar
jawsjawsjaws
Posts: 347
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:25 am

Re: International kid L/168 ...where I go?Thanks^^

Postby jawsjawsjaws » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:57 pm

An international applicant from China got in at Michigan with a 169 and with $$$$, but I think he was a special snowflake.

User avatar
williamsun
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:39 am

Re: International kid L/168 ...where I go?Thanks^^

Postby williamsun » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:18 am

jawsjawsjaws wrote:An international applicant from China got in at Michigan with a 169 and with $$$$, but I think he was a special snowflake.

whaaaat that is pretty wild :D
I mean we all hear about all kinds of crazy stuff every day but why shouldn't one of them (the good ones) happen to us =w=

User avatar
williamsun
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:39 am

Re: International kid L/168 ...where I go?Thanks^^

Postby williamsun » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:30 am

Submitted on Feb. 3...

Waiting to see how this lottery does for me :roll:

User avatar
Nebby
Posts: 22059
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: International kid L/168 ...where I go?Thanks^^

Postby Nebby » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:40 am

williamsun wrote:Submitted on Feb. 3...

Waiting to see how this lottery does for me :roll:

Good luck!

User avatar
williamsun
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:39 am

Re: International kid L/168 ...where I go?Thanks^^

Postby williamsun » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:46 am

CounselorNebby wrote:
williamsun wrote:Submitted on Feb. 3...

Waiting to see how this lottery does for me :roll:

Good luck!


Thanks man! Hope my attempt works :twisted:
Last edited by williamsun on Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Mack.Hambleton
Posts: 5417
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:09 am

Re: International kid L/168 ...where I go?Thanks^^

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:08 am

williamsun wrote:
CounselorNebby wrote:
williamsun wrote:Submitted on Feb. 3...

Waiting to see how this lottery does for me :roll:

Good luck!


Thanks man! Hope my kamikaze attack works :twisted:


I hope u didn't mention kamikaze attacks in ur PS

User avatar
williamsun
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:39 am

Re: International kid L/168 ...where I go?Thanks^^

Postby williamsun » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:17 am

Mack.Hambleton wrote:
williamsun wrote:
CounselorNebby wrote:
williamsun wrote:Submitted on Feb. 3...

Waiting to see how this lottery does for me :roll:

Good luck!


Thanks man! Hope my kamikaze attack works :twisted:


I hope u didn't mention kamikaze attacks in ur PS


no I didn't... but thanks for the reminder

User avatar
williamsun
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:39 am

Re: International kid S+168

Postby williamsun » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:54 pm

For now:

Rej@ UVA, Michigan and GULC (wtf gulc...)
Hold at NW, reserved at cls
Chicago, Duke and NYU: Pending.

Why GULC rejected me is still a mystery...

User avatar
Mack.Hambleton
Posts: 5417
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:09 am

Re: International kid S+168

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:00 pm

Retake is the easy answer

User avatar
ballcaps
Posts: 527
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:20 pm

Re: International kid S+168

Postby ballcaps » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:13 pm

williamsun wrote:168

williamsun wrote:Feb 3

williamsun wrote:Rej@ UVA, Michigan and GULC


looks like you're gonna wanna retake and reapply :|

User avatar
Albus Dumbledore
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:30 pm

Re: International kid S+168

Postby Albus Dumbledore » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:21 pm

Why didn't you apply to Cornell? Your LSAT should have given you a good shot at Cornell. If things don't work out this cycle, you might want to retake or expand the number of schools next cycle.

User avatar
williamsun
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:39 am

Re: International kid S+168

Postby williamsun » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:03 am

Mack.Hambleton wrote:Retake is the easy answer


Thanks dude, I'm actually considering it whilst praying for a miracle.

User avatar
williamsun
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:39 am

Re: International kid S+168

Postby williamsun » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:06 am

Albus Dumbledore wrote:Why didn't you apply to Cornell? Your LSAT should have given you a good shot at Cornell. If things don't work out this cycle, you might want to retake or expand the number of schools next cycle.


Thanks for the advice! I'm considering retaking LSAT in October 2015, since I'm graduating from my current college in July and I want to drill hard into LSAT after that.

The reason I did not apply for Cornell was its location. I kind of have a grudge about not studying in a huge city... but yeah that turned out to be a mistake since I'm putting my one year of life at risk going nowhere...
Last edited by williamsun on Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
williamsun
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:39 am

Re: International kid S+168

Postby williamsun » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:09 am

ballcaps wrote:
williamsun wrote:168

williamsun wrote:Feb 3

williamsun wrote:Rej@ UVA, Michigan and GULC


looks like you're gonna wanna retake and reapply :|


If none of the aforementioned AOs screw up (and let me in), I can see myself signing up for a test factory or something very Chinese :P

User avatar
williamsun
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:39 am

Re: International kid S+168

Postby williamsun » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:10 am

Mack.Hambleton wrote:Retake is the easy answer


Betting with one year of my life... hmmm..

Well I'm just 23 so I think I can handle that xD

User avatar
Mack.Hambleton
Posts: 5417
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:09 am

Re: International kid S+168

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:12 am

also betting your career and hundreds of thousands of dollars

User avatar
williamsun
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:39 am

Re: International kid S+168

Postby williamsun » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:24 am

Mack.Hambleton wrote:also betting your career and hundreds of thousands of dollars


hmmm that sounds even more serious...
Has anyone conducted a research on whether/ to what extent people perform better in their retakes?




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests