3.3/158 Chances for Texas schools

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
eukaryote

3.3/158 Chances for Texas schools

Postby eukaryote » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:12 pm

My current list of apps in TX are: UH, UT, Texas Tech, A&M, Baylor, and Dedman

Anyone have an idea of my acceptance and scholarship chances?

jump_man

Re: 3.3/158 Chances for Texas schools

Postby jump_man » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:18 pm

Can you retake?

A higher LSAT score will always mean more $$$

ilikebaseball

Postby ilikebaseball » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:20 pm

In everywhere except SMU. SMU you may get in, but won't get even close to enough money to make it worth it.

A&M and Tech, you'll get in with good $$

Baylor you won't get enough to make it worth it.

Houston depends on in or out of state, but it will likely not be worth it either. Get 5 more points on the LSAT and that completely changes

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:22 pm

retake or find another career path. You're not going to get a defensible option with these stats, period.

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:25 pm

ilikebaseball wrote:In everywhere except SMU. SMU you may get in, but won't get even close to enough money to make it worth it.

A&M and Tech, you'll get in with good $$

Baylor you won't get enough to make it worth it.

Houston depends on in or out of state, but it will likely not be worth it either. Get 5 more points on the LSAT and that completely changes

OP these schools are all total horseshit and you should not consider them. SMU and Houston are defensible at the right price, and with your stats, there is no possibility you will be in that range. Baylor can be defensible if it's basically free; again, not gonna happen for you.

ilikebaseball

Postby ilikebaseball » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:26 pm

Ron Don Volante wrote:retake or find another career path. You're not going to get a defensible option with these stats, period.

dont do this dude. He asked to know his chances. I'm sure he could spend 10 minutes on the forums and find that out. If he wants to go to Texas Tech, let him.

If you wanna tell him to retake, that's fine I think. He didn't ask for your opinion on whether law school was the right idea though.

Edit: However, OP. What I think Ron Don means to say is that you should retake to cement these options and make them viable. Its not impossible to find success out of tech (A&M, maybe) but its very, very unlikely. SMU and Houston aren't bad options. Baylor is like law school boot camp, so whatever floats your boat.
Last edited by ilikebaseball on Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Username123

Postby Username123 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:30 pm

eukaryote wrote:My current list of apps in TX are: UH, UT, Texas Tech, A&M, Baylor, and Dedman

Anyone have an idea of my acceptance and scholarship chances?

Definitely not in at UT or SMU.

Maybe at UH/Baylor.

In everywhere else.

If you can retake, you should do it - a 3-4 point increase will get you SMU/UH/Baylor, although you'd be at near sticker price, which is scary considering their job placement stats.

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:33 pm

ilikebaseball wrote:
Ron Don Volante wrote:retake or find another career path. You're not going to get a defensible option with these stats, period.

dont do this dude. He asked to know his chances. I'm sure he could spend 10 minutes on the forums and find that out. If he wants to go to Texas Tech, let him.

If you wanna tell him to retake, that's fine I think. He didn't ask for your opinion on whether law school was the right idea though

I dont care that he didn't ask. He shouldn't go to law school with these stats. I wouldn't even wish Texas Tech on you.

ilikebaseball

Postby ilikebaseball » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:34 pm

Ron Don Volante wrote:
ilikebaseball wrote:

If you wanna tell him to retake, that's fine I think. He didn't ask for your opinion on whether law school was the right idea though

I dont care that he didn't ask. He shouldn't go to law school with these stats. I wouldn't even wish Texas Tech on you.

I edited my previous post, but my point is don't tell the dude not to go to law school. He took the time to find these forums, take the LSAT, and send in applications. Therefore, it seems like he's put a lot of thought into it. He should retake.

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:39 pm

ilikebaseball wrote:
Ron Don Volante wrote:
ilikebaseball wrote:

I edited my previous post, but my point is don't tell the dude not to go to law school. He took the time to find these forums, take the LSAT, and send in applications. Therefore, it seems like he's put a lot of thought into it. He should retake.

Why exactly should I not tell him not to go to law school? Most of the practicing BIGLAWYERS on this site wish they didn't go. As I've said before, every post on this site is implicitly prefaced by a: "don't do it kid, but if you must..." There is no "but if you must" here; OPs options will be very dismal without a retake.

If he's not going to retake he should not go, and that's all I said.

pancakes3

Postby pancakes3 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:53 pm

Weird thread to make a stand, baseball. RDV is right to tell the OP to retake. I would even advocate a "don't go to LS" disclaimer for everyone applying with a sub 160. Nothing good can come from it.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:36 pm

Check out http://www.mylsn.info for chances

eukaryote

Postby eukaryote » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:47 am

For clarification purposes money is not much of an issue. Scholarships would just be icing on the cake, that is if I do get accepted. I am aiming for UH. I am also determined to go to law school and this is a score I got on a retake but I can't really show you that I am fit to be a law student. I am basically leaning towards not retaking it again. Law has been my passion for a while and even clerking at a firm has made me want it even more. Also why should a 70% job placement from UH dissuade me?

ilikebaseball

Postby ilikebaseball » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:02 am

eukaryote wrote:For clarification purposes money is not much of an issue. Scholarships would just be icing on the cake, that is if I do get accepted. I am aiming for UH. I am also determined to go to law school and this is a score I got on a retake but I can't really show you that I am fit to be a law student. I am basically leaning towards not retaking it again. Law has been my passion for a while and even clerking at a firm has made me want it even more. Also why should a 70% job placement from UH dissuade me?

Well, if money isnt an issue, retake so you get into UT or T14. If law is your passion, and you have an idea of what you want to do/accomplish with your degree, than definitely go, but retake. Houston is an okay school for Houston firms. Hopefully that's where you wanna work.

ilikebaseball

Postby ilikebaseball » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:03 am

pancakes3 wrote:Weird thread to make a stand, baseball. RDV is right to tell the OP to retake. I would even advocate a "don't go to LS" disclaimer for everyone applying with a sub 160. Nothing good can come from it.

well, i basically agreed with him. But i just think its pretty discouraging for a kid to come on here and someone say "you're not good enough" which he says he wasnt implying, so that was the end of it. I think he was just coming here for information from us, not for us to advise his career goals or dreams.

I was just saying ELE lol.

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:39 am

ilikebaseball wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:Weird thread to make a stand, baseball. RDV is right to tell the OP to retake. I would even advocate a "don't go to LS" disclaimer for everyone applying with a sub 160. Nothing good can come from it.

well, i basically agreed with him. But i just think its pretty discouraging for a kid to come on here and someone say "you're not good enough" which he says he wasnt implying, so that was the end of it. I think he was just coming here for information from us, not for us to advise his career goals or dreams.

I was just saying ELE lol.

I was not saying he, as a person, is not good enough. I'm saying he, as an applicant to law school, is not good enough. (Any idiot planning for LS can start undergrad and land in a great situation if they game their stats, OP has simply not put in the effort on the LSAT). It might be a little harsh but it's true and something OP probably needs to hear, especially when others are tacitly encouraging him to unload his trust fund on the raging dumpster fires that are most schools in TX.

Attax

Postby Attax » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:37 pm

OP - in at A&M, Texas Tech
Maybe - UH, Baylor
Out - SMU, Texas

Solution: Retake. The only schools you will get in at aren't worth attending, and those you might won't be worth attending at the cost you'll incur.

eukaryote

Postby eukaryote » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:04 pm

Thanks for your honest opinions guys and I will definitely take it to heart. If I had the time to retake and score better I would but in my situation it's a ride or die and I will be sure to try to set myself apart from the rest of the applicants in my application.

pancakes3

Postby pancakes3 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:05 pm

Why is your situation ride or die?

eukaryote

Postby eukaryote » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:12 pm

pancakes3 wrote:Why is your situation ride or die?

Mostly parental pressures to attend law school as early as possible and the threat of financial independence if I do not.

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:25 pm

eukaryote wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:Why is your situation ride or die?

Mostly parental pressures to attend law school as early as possible and the threat of financial independence if I do not.

wow that sounds pretty rough

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:17 pm

Ron Don Volante wrote:wow that sounds pretty rough

Unfortunately happens more frequently than you may expect. Adults love using finances to manipulate kids.

Still, it's not a reason to rush into law school with crappy numbers. Paying for a room in an apartment while working if preferable to six figures of debt from a TTT and no job at the end of the tunnel. (Edit: Are your parents paying for law school?)

At the very least, retake the LSAT next month.

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:43 pm

I was being sarcastic. Welcome to being a grown up, OP.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:49 pm

Ron Don Volante wrote:I was being sarcastic.

I had a feeling you were.

Attax

Postby Attax » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:20 pm

Financial independence? So you'd rather go to a school like TAMU law now, have a minimal chance at a legal job that will likely be low pay and shitty versus having a little bit of financial independence to retake, score well, and go to a good school like UT or SMU for cheap-to-free and have a good chance at a legal job that will likely be high pay and shitty?

Retake.

Return to “What are my chances?”