non-urm Hispanic 3.6 162

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
abogado13

non-urm Hispanic 3.6 162

Postby abogado13 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:46 pm

Hey guys,

I had just planned on going to very affordable local law school, but since my lsat score came in I have been bombarded by emails such as the following:

"The LSAC Candidate Referral Service has identified you as a promising
candidate for Georgetown University Law Center. On behalf of the
Admissions Committee, I invite you to apply for Fall 2015 admission.
Although this invitation does not guarantee admission, we feel that
your obvious academic talent and background would make a positive
contribution to the intellectual dialogue at the Law Center. Due to
our belief in your potential, your application fee has been waived as
well. "

I have received similar emails from Emory, Duke, UW etc
I have also received an email suggesting I was highly likely to receive full tuition scholarship to Mich. State.

Should I get my hopes up? Do I have a shot at any of these?

I am hispanic, but not Puerto Rican or Mexican. I have very good work experience and solid recs and am the part owner of a small, fairly successful start up. I have done volunteering in Africa working at an orphanage and tutoring in math and english. I am at or below 25% LSAT for most of these schools according to Law School Numbers. It seems like some of the schools lsat/gpa numbers have come down in the past couple of years. Often their own websites show lower median lsat/gpa than LSN.

Thanks

abogado13

Re: non-urm Hispanic 3.6 162

Postby abogado13 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:04 pm

Anybody?! Nothing? I have looked but haven't found any hispanic non urm with similar stats in the past few cycles. Either way, sent in apps to a bunch of reach schools plus my local safety school. So i'll let you guys know when I hear back.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:22 am

mylsn.info

If you're not URM then it doesn't matter

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:37 am

This is gonna sound messed up, but check your LSAC Profile and CAS/CRS data and stuff. That GULC email is highly suggestive at the least, and I mean this in the least rude way possible, but with your numbers leads me to guess that they might be mistaken as to your URM status.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:40 am

Mack.Hambleton wrote:mylsn.info

That said, this is also not entirely true. It's suggested that although the commonly sought after URM groups get a definitive and somewhat calculable boost, "non-urm" minorities may also be additional consideration.

downbeat14

Postby downbeat14 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:47 am

Last edited by downbeat14 on Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

abogado13

Postby abogado13 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:17 am

Mack.Hambleton wrote:mylsn.info

I've looked into this website, from my understanding the data is drawn from Law school numbers, therefore self reported and probably not entirely accurate or all encompassing.
the sample size is also incredible small and not very representative. I have heard from many sources that schools look for diversity and being a non urm minority can be a small boost, though not nearly the same as URM (I have heard being asian can make it harder, not sure if that is true though). Not trying to justify getting my hopes up but we shall see. I applied to a couple t14s ill let you guys know when I hear back.

pancakes3

Postby pancakes3 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:25 am

Fee waivers don't mean much, so solicitation emails mean even less.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/gulc/2013/

Below median GPA, below 25 LSAT so... even if you do get into GULC it will almost certainly be at sticker. In fact, 162 is below median at a lot of places which means sticker at a lot of places. You in all likelihood should retake.

Some other things to consider: where do you want to practice, where do you have ties to, how will you finance law school, what type of job are you interested in?

abogado13

Postby abogado13 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:56 am

pancakes3 wrote:Fee waivers don't mean much, so solicitation emails mean even less.

Below median GPA, below 25 LSAT so... even if you do get into GULC it will almost certainly be at sticker. In fact, 162 is below median at a lot of places which means sticker at a lot of places. You in all likelihood should retake.

Some other things to consider: where do you want to practice, where do you have ties to, how will you finance law school, what type of job are you interested in?

Yup I am certainly not counting on getting into, let alone getting money from a t14 school. My plan for a long time (as I stated in my original post) has been to get into my local law school (the only law school in this state), and practice law in state. Sticker tuition is 23K, with merit scholarships I will be paying well under 20K/year, which I should be able to cover with federal loans. so under 60k total debt when its all said and done. I own my home, and renal income covers my mortgage, so living here during school is much cheeper. I could even live rent free with my girlfriend and rent my unit out for extra income. While my lsat might be below median at most t25 schools, it is well above 75% at my local school. I am looking into health law and possibly a joint jd/mph.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:54 pm

abogado13 wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:Fee waivers don't mean much, so solicitation emails mean even less.

Yup I am certainly not counting on getting into, let alone getting money from a t14 school. My plan for a long time (as I stated in my original post) has been to get into my local law school (the only law school in this state), and practice law in state. Sticker tuition is 23K, with merit scholarships I will be paying well under 20K/year, which I should be able to cover with federal loans. so under 60k total debt when its all said and done. I own my home, and renal income covers my mortgage, so living here during school is much cheeper. I could even live rent free with my girlfriend and rent my unit out for extra income. While my lsat might be below median at most t25 schools, it is well above 75% at my local school. I am looking into health law and possibly a joint jd/mph.

Quoted for funniest typo ever

Return to “What are my chances?”