Lack of Softs in T14 Admissions

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
MattM

Lack of Softs in T14 Admissions

Postby MattM » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:42 pm

Hello,

Outside of HYS, how much do soft factors matter in T14 admissions? I am a Undergrad in college so I don't have nearly the amount of softs most TLS users have. ....It's 99% a numbers game but I wonder if lack of softs will keep you out?

However, I plan on sitting out a cycle and look to get some WE first before law school ( not just for admissions, but for overall experience and when it comes time for OCI and internships during Law School)

elterrible78

Re: Lack of Softs in T14 Admissions

Postby elterrible78 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:47 pm

MattM wrote:Hello,

Outside of HYS, how much do soft factors matter in T14 admissions? I am a Undergrad in college so I don't have nearly the amount of softs most TLS users have. ....It's 99% a numbers game but I wonder if lack of softs will keep you out?

However, I plan on sitting out a cycle and look to get some WE first before law school ( not just for admissions, but for overall experience and when it comes time for OCI and internships during Law School)

Softs just don't matter that much, really. I mean some, but not enough that lack of softs will offset great numbers. Work experience will help, but I don't think I'd worry too much about getting involved in random organizations that aren't interesting to you.

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:33 pm

softs only matter at the small schools: Y, S and perhaps Chicago.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:40 pm

If you have absolutely no softs, that might hurt you a tiny, tiny bit, but in this era of declining LSAT medians if you have the numbers it's not going to be a huge deal. Most non-HYS T14s just can't afford to be that picky.

MattM

Postby MattM » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:27 am

I should have edited to say weak softs not 0....involved in Moot Court and a few campus organizations but nothing major

Even as a semi splitter 3.55 gpa would my weak softs hurt me? ( for other reasons like improving my LSAT I am sitting out this cycle, plan on getting WE for the right reasons though but I may be at an advantage as well if I don't apply to go K-JD route)

zugzwanger

Postby zugzwanger » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:33 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:If you have absolutely no softs, that might hurt you a tiny, tiny bit, but in this era of declining LSAT medians if you have the numbers it's not going to be a huge deal. Most non-HYS T14s just can't afford to be that picky.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:19 am

MattM wrote:I should have edited to say weak softs not 0....involved in Moot Court and a few campus organizations but nothing major

Even as a semi splitter 3.55 gpa would my weak softs hurt me? ( for other reasons like improving my LSAT I am sitting out this cycle, plan on getting WE for the right reasons though but I may be at an advantage as well if I don't apply to go K-JD route)

if you're going to get work experience then youll already have better softs than almost all KJDs

Return to “What are my chances?”