3.14, 153 - I don't know what to do next

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Penny07

3.14, 153 - I don't know what to do next

Postby Penny07 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:31 pm

I have taken the LSAT three times now. The first score I cancelled, I got a 150 my second time and I just got my December score which is a 153. I had high grades in college until my senior year then a family illness caused my grades to drop. I currently work in a law firm as a legal assistant and have 2 and half years of work experience with this firm.

Do I have a shot in hell in getting into a top 50 law school? Should I retake the LSAT in June? That would be my 4th time taking it and my 3rd score. I feel like retaking is my best option though. Any advice is appreciated! This is not the way I was hoping to start the new year....

utahraptor

Re: 3.14, 153 - I don't know what to do next

Postby utahraptor » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:32 pm

Why do you want to be a lawyer?

Penny07

Postby Penny07 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:56 pm

I want to work in human rights, specifically focusing on woman's reproductive rights on an international level. I figured law would be the best way to do that. To be honest, I did not prep as hard as I should have for the LSAT.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:38 pm

Penny07 wrote:I want to work in human rights, specifically focusing on woman's reproductive rights on an international level. I figured law would be the best way to do that. To be honest, I did not prep as hard as I should have for the LSAT.

Practically speaking, is that an attainable career goal?

Penny07

Postby Penny07 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:52 pm

I would say so, yes. One bad college semster and two low LSAT scores won't stop me. I may not be able to work on an international level right away but I would love to start at a local Planned Parenthood chapter. That seems attainable. The goal would be to eventually work for the State Department. I am smart. I am capable. I won't give up.

mvp99

Postby mvp99 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:57 pm

Penny07 wrote:

I would say so, yes. One bad college semster and two low LSAT scores won't stop me. I may not be able to work on an international level right away but I would love to start at a local Planned Parenthood chapter. That seems attainable. The goal would be to eventually work for the State Department. I am smart. I am capable. I won't give up.

No need for a law degree (and a US law degree) to do human rights work at an international level and where it is required chances are you won't make it (I bet there are fewer than a few dozens job positions in the world that do human rights work relating to reproductive rights at an international level). Someone else with more info please feel free to correct me.

AOT

Postby AOT » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:00 pm

mvp99 wrote:
Penny07 wrote:

No need for a law degree (and a US law degree) to do human rights work at an international level and where it is required chances are you won't make it (I bet there are fewer than a few dozens job positions in the world that do human rights work relating to reproductive rights at an international level). Someone else with more info please feel free to correct me.

I'd disagree with this. Most NGOs with a gender focus will deal with reproductive rights and there are plenty out there. Most of the positions definitely wont require a JD though. A better use of your time/money would be to move to the region you are interested in, and try and get some low paid work with an NGO out there.

skidoo1066

Postby skidoo1066 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:03 pm

You have very lofty goals, and it's awesome that you're shooting for the stars. To get into the positions you'd like I'd say you should really be trying for T20 schools, and to get there you'll have to bump that LSAT WAAAY up. Because you already have a job, I'd say take a full year prepping for the LSAT, use as much material as you can find. Probably start with the generic LSAT prep books (Kaplan or something), then move up to the PowerScore books, and do every single past LSAT. Going to Wash & Lee or UC Davis won't get you the connections (or respect) you need to dominate the international scene.

Kratos

Postby Kratos » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:03 pm

if you wanna do that type of work, you should really try to get some experience before you go to law school in that area. They want proven commitment to that and just saying youre interested probably isnt enough. you're also gonna want to retake until you get a good score

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:03 pm

Penny07 wrote:

Nothing you said here suggests that this career goal is attainable. I would probably do more research to understand what it would take to get where you would like to be.

"Top 50" is super broad and a meaningless distinction. Some of the schools that fall under that umbrella struggle to place their grads in any kind of legal employment, let alone unicorn international jobs.

I think you're going to need to retake and readjust your career goals if law school is going to make any sense at all. As said already, there might be better ways to do the type of work your envisioning which don't even involve law school at all. That's what we call a win/win.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:05 pm

skidoo1066 wrote:You have very lofty goals, and it's awesome that you're shooting for the stars. To get into the positions you'd like I'd say you should really be trying for T20 schools, and to get there you'll have to bump that LSAT WAAAY up. Because you already have a job, I'd say take a full year prepping for the LSAT, use as much material as you can find. Probably start with the generic LSAT prep books (Kaplan or something), then move up to the PowerScore books, and do every single past LSAT. Going to Wash & Lee or UC Davis won't get you the connections (or respect) you need to dominate the international scene.

T20 is also a meaningless distinction here, I really doubt UT gives someone a significant leg up on the international scene over, say, Wake Forest.

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:10 pm

This job doesn't exist. It sounds like you want to be a lobbyist. The UN isn't gonna be calling a TTT asking for students to join the panel.

utahraptor

Postby utahraptor » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:12 pm

Penny07 wrote:

You shouldn't go to law school.

Penny07

Postby Penny07 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:32 pm

utahraptor wrote:
Penny07 wrote:

You shouldn't go to law school.

I am actually considering a Masters in Public Administration instead. However, I feel like I could achieve more with a law degree. I'm not in this to make money, in fact I'm sure I will be in debt for 30+ years. I just have an idealist twinkle in my eye still and want to make the world a better place. Perhaps only spending 2 years in school and getting my Masters is a better choice.

skidoo1066

Postby skidoo1066 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:47 pm

Penny07 wrote:I am actually considering a Masters in Public Administration instead. However, I feel like I could achieve more with a law degree. I'm not in this to make money, in fact I'm sure I will be in debt for 30+ years. I just have an idealist twinkle in my eye still and want to make the world a better place. Perhaps only spending 2 years in school and getting my Masters is a better choice.

Eh, maybe. You'd still need to go to a top MPA program to get anywhere in life - and at least law school prepares you for a specific occupation in which you can bide the time.

People who make a difference and change the world are those who become senators, governors, presidential advisers, etc. The most common LS for those types of people is.... you guessed it: Harvard. Some didn't go to T14's, but those are by far the exception and probably had a huge boost from things they personally had no control over.

You need to be a rockstar if you want to really promote your ideals.

downbeat14

Postby downbeat14 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:51 pm

Last edited by downbeat14 on Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Penny07

Postby Penny07 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:55 pm

skidoo1066 wrote:
Penny07 wrote:I am actually considering a Masters in Public Administration instead. However, I feel like I could achieve more with a law degree. I'm not in this to make money, in fact I'm sure I will be in debt for 30+ years. I just have an idealist twinkle in my eye still and want to make the world a better place. Perhaps only spending 2 years in school and getting my Masters is a better choice.

Eh, maybe. You'd still need to go to a top MPA program to get anywhere in life - and at least law school prepares you for a specific occupation in which you can bide the time.

People who make a difference and change the world are those who become senators, governors, presidential advisers, etc. The most common LS for those types of people is.... you guessed it: Harvard. Some didn't go to T14's, but those are by far the exception and probably had a huge boost from things they personally had no control over.

You need to be a rockstar if you want to really promote your ideals.

Hey, those people need a support staff :wink:

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:56 pm

Any advice is appreciated!

Do NOT go to law school. Instead, go work locally for a couple of years (PP? PeaceCorps?), and then get an MPH.

I want to work in human rights, specifically focusing on woman's reproductive rights on an international level.

skidoo1066

Postby skidoo1066 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:05 pm

Penny07 wrote:Hey, those people need a support staff :wink:

lol True....

What is your undergrad in? Certainly you could try to get a better LSAT, but there are plenty of other options that could put you in an influential position - work up through business then get a Duke MBA and become a CFO, work for non-profits and work up to director then run for office, work for the CIA and see where life goes from there (I'm not kidding, the CIA has some decent jobs), ... There are plenty of options.

I'd definitely say take at least another year, you can study for the LSAT and GRE, and hopefully you'll have more direction about what's the best path for you.

Penny07

Postby Penny07 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:23 pm

Political Science major. Graduated in 2011. I'm 25 and honestly worried I'm getting too old for law school. If I take another year off I will be 26 when I start.

KMart

Postby KMart » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:24 pm

Penny07 wrote:Political Science major. Graduated in 2011. I'm 25 and honestly worried I'm getting too old for law school. If I take another year off I will be 26 when I start.

You won't be too old at 26.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:47 pm

imKMart wrote:
Penny07 wrote:Political Science major. Graduated in 2011. I'm 25 and honestly worried I'm getting too old for law school. If I take another year off I will be 26 when I start.

You won't be too old at 26.

Yeah, I was a few years older than that when I started, hasn't been a detriment so far

skidoo1066

Postby skidoo1066 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:26 pm

If you have a few years of work experience and then get a great LSAT you'd fit right in at Northwestern, even with your GPA. Most schools are actually very happy to have someone who has some real world experience and direction in life. In the words of Dr. Scott the Paleotologist “Go outside, get into nature and make your own discoveries!” (I know, not perfect for the situation, but it seemed fitting at the moment)

Return to “What are my chances?”