3.43/157/Strong softs

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
hopeful_c/o18

3.43/157/Strong softs

Postby hopeful_c/o18 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:37 am

-3.43 LSDAS GPA
-157 LSAT
-3+ years of student politics and student publications at undergraduate institution
-Full time managerial job throughout undergraduate degree (30-40 hours/week)

Shots at the following schools?

UC Davis
U San Diego
Chapman
Santa Clara
Pepperdine
UC Irvine
BU
BC
American U

Should I apply this cycle with these numbers or retake in June and apply next cycle?

EDITED: Looking to practice entertainment law and/or soft IP. Perhaps a bit of corporate law as well. Probably in relation to digital media & film. Want to end up practicing in California in all likelihood.
Last edited by hopeful_c/o18 on Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mullens

Re: 3.43/157/Strong softs

Postby Mullens » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:41 am

What are your goals and how are you paying for school?

Regardless, the answer is probably going to be retake.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:51 am

Check out http://www.mylsn.info for chances

It's debateable whether those are strong softs but regardless I wouldn't expect them to punch any higher than your numbers already will

Kind of a random list of regional schools, where do you want to live and work and what do you want to do with a law degree?

hopeful_c/o18

Postby hopeful_c/o18 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:07 am

BigZuck wrote:Check out http://www.mylsn.info for chances

It's debateable whether those are strong softs but regardless I wouldn't expect them to punch any higher than your numbers already will

Kind of a random list of regional schools, where do you want to live and work and what do you want to do with a law degree?

Looking to practice entertainment law and/or soft IP. Perhaps a bit of corporate law as well. Probably in relation to digital media & film. Want to end up practicing in California in all likelihood. Is that specific enough for you guys?

downbeat14

Postby downbeat14 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:15 am

Last edited by downbeat14 on Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:15 am

hopeful_c/o18 wrote:

Looking to practice entertainment law and/or soft IP. Perhaps a bit of corporate law as well. Probably in relation to digital media & film. Want to end up practicing in California in all likelihood. Is that specific enough for you guys?

None of those schools are compatable with those goals. Santa Clara and American in particular are some of the very worst law schools in this country and getting any paid legal job would be a coup. You need to aim much higher, IMO

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:24 am

hopeful_c/o18 wrote:

It is very, very hard to get into entertainment/film law. Stanford, Berkeley, USC, and UCLA (plus kids from Harvard/Yale) dominate hiring in the field. If this is what you want to do, you need to devote yourself to studying for 3-4 months and retake.

hopeful_c/o18

Postby hopeful_c/o18 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:31 am

downbeat14 wrote:No offense but I would actually call those maybe above average softs at best. The applicant pool is full of type A people with leadership positions in student organizations. You won't be turning heads.

Your GPA is quite weak, so you'll need a much much much better LSAT to make up for it. You need to retake the LSAT without question.

None of the schools you are considering applying to are worth attending. In fact many of them will make it unlikely you'll even get a job as a lawyer. Look at Law School Transparency to get a sense of employment outcomes for these places.

Maybe BU/BC aren't completely worthless, but only if you are taking on literally 0 debt to do it. Not sure you'll get in there with those numbers, however, and you certainly won't get any scholarship. Looks like you're pretty low for both in terms of GPA/LSAT medians.

Are you paying for this with loans or are your parents paying? There's a big difference there in terms of the advice people will give you here. Obviously the risk of a life changing financial disaster is low if you aren't fronting the bill.

I have a large amount of money saved from the full time job I worked at during my Bachelor degree. I would be using that to pay for school. My family would be helping out as well. I can get through law school debt free, most likely.

As for the softs, I should clarify a bit. The job that I held during undergrad was as a business owner at a startup. I had 2 partners throughout the two years, but I was the main decision maker regarding hiring, HR, marketing, sales, day to day operations, etc. We were all undergrads. The business generated several hundred thousand dollars in revenue.

Regarding retake, would you suggest a February retake for this cycle or June for next cycle?

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:37 am

Those softs aren't going to help you punch above your numbers

I would retake whenever you can get as close to 180 as possible. If you can do that by February, then by all means retake in Feb for this cycle

I wouldn't apply to any of those schools TBH. You either won't get in with your current numbers or the schools you do get into will likely be a detriment to your future career rather than an asset. If you already have good business skillz I would just go do business rather than go to a school like American.

Return to “What are my chances?”