Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
MattM

Re: 3.93/150

Postby MattM » Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:34 pm

1. How did OP study?

Half of LSAT improvement is Quality prep not quantity....even if studying two years may not have been studying properly ( throughly reviewing it, blind review etc)

2. if bad at standardized tests then law school may not be right call,......LSAT is weighed much more heavily than GPA which is why many on here will retake to improve their scores....even with a 4.0 impossible to say what schools you would get into without knowing LSA....but if someone had a 170 LSAT, people on here could give reasonable estimate as to what their chances are even if they did not know the GPA
The way USNWR are set up, law schools are much more willing to take a lower GPA, but crushed the LSAT than a 3.9/150

3. With all that said, I am no medical professional, but I would highly recommend seeking professional help for dyslexia and maybe seek LSAT accommodations, .....if slow reading truly is an issue you should try to get it fixed if possible before LS given the large amounts of reading and the strong chances you will fall behind and your grades will suffer

Username123

Postby Username123 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:55 pm

rdawkins28 wrote:
jw316 wrote:
rdawkins28 wrote:Anyway, PM me if you want to chat about this since I come from a non-T14 and I work with/against non-T14 lawyers all the time. Can tell you what your potential law career might look like since it's going to be different from the TLS T14 experience.

Hey just curious but why not do that in the thread? I think it can be valuable when someone who actually has experience chimes in

Because TLS's motto is T14 or bust. And anything thought outside of that realm is laughed at.

This is definitely not true.

The goal is T14, as you should be shooting for the best schools possible. Why shoot for anything less?

But there are many different options that are great for certain goals. If someone doesn't want biglaw but wants south Florida, a UF/FSU/Emory full ride (or close to it) is a good option. If someone wants Chicago, ND/Illinois for cheap/full ride is a good option.

Just because people set a high bar for their goals, doesn't mean it's T14 or bust. There have been a number of cases on this board where I've seen people with similar options as those ice mentioned above and the usual suspects on here are saying "take it and don't look back."

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:04 pm

hunt godlink wrote:Thanks for all of the candid advice. I think I'll register for the February exam, seriously study for another month from scratch, and see where that gets me before making any radical decisions.

Everyone is right. A 150 is a 150. I won't get in any T25 schools regardless of how determined I am. And if I do want to continue along this career path with a 150, the only options are tier two and tier three schools. However, I think I'll still apply because a 0.01 chance is beats not applying.

Likewise, if I don't improve significantly on the February LSAT, my determination to become a lawyer also makes me inclined to settle for a tier two or tier three school and try to make it to the top of my class there. I'm not too fond of studying for the LSAT and be out of school for an entire year (May 2015 - September 2016), and I think I'd rather attend a sub-par law school.

Do you have wealthy parents who are offering to pay for you to go to law school?

You're completely focused on getting into a law school, when you should be focused on getting to a decent law school at a reasonable price. Do you realize what full price at law school is? Do you realize what a quarter million dollars in debt will do to your life?

If you apply with a 150 and get in somewhere like Boston University, that's not "lucky." The school would be using you to pay for someone else's full ride. BU at sticker price would be a horrible outcome. It's not something you should hope for.

MattM

Postby MattM » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:40 pm

But hey, If the Dallas Cowboys made the playoffs this year after all those crappy seasons and Jerry jones....anything is possible

So I'd say OP has a shot at 170

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:04 pm

As another person said, law is only "good money if you get big law." Even then you're earning between 90 and 105k post taxes, which is very good money on it's face until you consider the loans. This isn't a firm problem (160k is very good starting compensation notwithstanding the long hours), but is an LS problem. For your interests, the drop off from big law is very steep unless you're on LRAP (very competitive) or have a full ride (unlikely with a 150), law is generally less lucrative than a retail position. More importantly you depreciate the value of your 3.9 GPA. Your odds of becoming a big law paralegal are much higher than your odds of becoming an associate. You can earn upwards of 60k pretax in no time with no loans, which is better than what you'll likely earn as a lawyer with a 150 due to where you'll be graduating from. On many projects you may literally be above doc review attorneys. In addition, if you work at a less prestigious firm and your LS plus grades are sufficient you may be able to land a job if your school and rank match their normal requirements. For instance if you go to BU, being a paralegal at sull crom prob won't help, but you may be able to get an SA at a weaker firm.

Postby 03152016 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:24 pm

rdawkins28 wrote:
jw316 wrote:
rdawkins28 wrote:Anyway, PM me if you want to chat about this since I come from a non-T14 and I work with/against non-T14 lawyers all the time. Can tell you what your potential law career might look like since it's going to be different from the TLS T14 experience.

Hey just curious but why not do that in the thread? I think it can be valuable when someone who actually has experience chimes in

Because TLS's motto is T14 or bust. And anything thought outside of that realm is laughed at.

that's not true at all
how are you reaching that conclusion?

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:30 pm

hunt godlink wrote:
Brut wrote:considering it's 2 am on a sunday morning this thread is pretty bumpin

anyways op
former lsat tutor here
i've had plenty of students start in that range, that's not so unusual
but if you put in a full year of serious prep and only got to 150, that raises some red flags

did you really put in serious effort?
if so, what was the score breakdown? how many wrong on lr, lg, rc?

At a scale of 1-10, I would rate my effort at a 7. I took 1 Kaplan course before I studied abroad, and 1 course after.

On average I was getting 45% RC 50-60% LG and 45-55%LR correct. One possible explanation could be that I read exceptionally slow.

I also read slow at one point. You will eventually be able to read quicker. Better to learn it now than going into 2L. This is one of the most important skills in law school. If two people are equally intelligent then the one who reads quicker has a tremendous advantage in law school.

Return to “What are my chances?”