2.0 and 170 LSAT

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
msmurray757

2.0 and 170 LSAT

Postby msmurray757 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:01 am

I am an AA female that has worked all through UG. My GPA took a hit for about 3 semesters after I had my car accident. One semester I flunked out completely just b/c of my inability to make it up to the school to officially withdraw after my accident. My question is do I have a shot at University of TN or University of Memphis with these numbers. My plan is to stay in TN after I graduate so I thought these regional schools will be a good choice. If I do have a shot do you think there would be any scholarships involved? Would I be better off trying my chances at Lincoln Memorial which is provisionally ABA approved? I believed there 75th percentile LSAT score is in the 150's. I would only go there though if it was my only option and if there was some major money involved.

fats provolone

Re: 2.0 and 170 LSAT

Postby fats provolone » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:43 am

try to retroactively withdraw with your UG

lawschool1741

Postby lawschool1741 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:51 am

^ agreed.

I don't think anyone here can tell you something you don't know. You have a distant 'shot' at those schools, but it will be hugely contingent on the individual adcomms and how they view your rationale for low GPA. Also, are your grades drastically different before/after the affected time period?

Wouldn't recommend going to a school with provisional ABA approval...

msmurray757

Postby msmurray757 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:04 pm

Yes my grades are drastically different. If you look at my transcript its just been an upward trend ever since. I will find out about a retroactive withdraw. Thanks guys

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:23 pm

some schools are more lenient than others. but usually want to know why you couldn't have done it at the time. so if you were physically incapacitated you have a good argument i think. depends on the school though

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:12 pm

As a AA with a 170, you may do better with a than you might expect. Schools might be a little more willing to place some weight on a GPA addendum given your rarity in the applicant pool.

Apply to UTennessee and schools like Vandy (because TN), Northwestern, and WUSTL. WUSTL could come back with a surprisingly good offer for you.
See what happens and where COA ends up. At the end of the day, the best decision may very well be not to go to law school if the costs are too great for the quality of schools you're accepted at. You're obviously a capable person if you pulled a 170, and I trust you'll be better able to make a rational decision than others on this forum.

Avoid Lincoln Memorial. Nobody smart enough to get a 170 should go there.

& Good luck!!

Username123

Postby Username123 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:09 pm

Dirigo wrote:As a AA with a 170, you may do better with a than you might expect. Schools might be a little more willing to place some weight on a GPA addendum given your rarity in the applicant pool.

Apply to UTennessee and schools like Vandy (because TN), Northwestern, and WUSTL. WUSTL could come back with a surprisingly good offer for you.
See what happens and where COA ends up. At the end of the day, the best decision may very well be not to go to law school if the costs are too great for the quality of schools you're accepted at. You're obviously a capable person if you pulled a 170, and I trust you'll be better able to make a rational decision than others on this forum.

Avoid Lincoln Memorial. Nobody smart enough to get a 170 should go there.

& Good luck!!

I agree that WUSTL is a reasonable reach since they are usually desperate for 170s, especially from URMs. Although, I wouldn't expect much $ if admitted. With a GPA addendum and some good WE, that might set you a bit apart from the 2.0. I couldn't imagine UTennessee passing up on a URM 170, although I would caution attending at sticker if they were to not offer any $.

Be aware though, since you are a super split, you might have to face the reality of riding some waitlists.

peger

Postby peger » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:41 pm

You'd be surprised what offers you may get being an URM with a 170. I would also think your GPA addendum would be very compelling.

Return to “What are my chances?”