Would Harvard Law be willing to look at GPA addendum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
postard

Re: Would Harvard Law be willing to look at GPA addendum

Postby postard » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:28 pm

Total Litigator wrote:Is 3.55 your current school GPA or your LSAC GPA? You mentioned that you transferred from a community college. LSAC will count your community college grades.

yup, two quarters of 4.0 CC brought my 3.9 to a 3.98 LSAC. if you were there for a year or more expect even more bump.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:59 pm

Well, after this last round of justifications, I just wanted to tell you, you've convinced me. Enjoy Harvard.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:07 pm

Harvard is way less of a black box, though. Yes, obviously there are people with your GPA at Harvard, but at Harvard numbers are even more determinative of admissions outcomes, not less-so as you imply.

Get that high LSAT score and then come back to us. If you fall short of your lofty expectations, then this GPA debate will be all for naught.

MattM

Postby MattM » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:49 pm

Eyesight problems aside.....what is the reason for the discrepancy between myLSN and law School numbers on Harvard chances for 3.6 apps?

http://mylsn.info/oeby6j/

175-180 LSAT , 3.6-3.65 GPA

9 in, 8WL, and 3 rejects

Law School numbers says http://lawschoolnumbers.com/gpa-3.6/lsat-178 so even with a 178 , only 2 out of 6 people got accepted with those numbers

Which out of the two is more accurate

Still a UG and may add a minor so it is very possible I can get in that 3.6-3.65 range ( looking for that not just for H , but also for other schools)

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:55 pm

MattM wrote:Eyesight problems aside.....what is the reason for the discrepancy between myLSN and law School numbers on Harvard chances for 3.6 apps?

9 in, 8WL, and 3 rejects

Law School numbers says http://lawschoolnumbers.com/gpa-3.6/lsat-178 so even with a 178 , only 2 out of 6 people got accepted with those numbers

Still a UG and may add a minor so it is very possible I can get in that 3.6-3.65 range ( looking for that not just for H , but also for other schools)

Could the difference be that you're searching two different parameters? Considering Mylsn uses the same data from LSN, I'd think so!

Seriously though, you're getting ahead of yourself, here's the order things happen: You decide you want to be a lawyer, you take the lsat and do as well as you can, then you see what options you have. You are picking your school and reverse engineering your LSAT score based on it...That's not how it works. You're showing great hope with your current score, and displaying maturity by sitting out to take care of yourself, now study the LSAT, and earn that 178, then worry about Harvard. It's a very long road from 171 at home to 178 on the real thing.

MattM

Postby MattM » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:50 pm

Clearly wrote:
MattM wrote:Eyesight problems aside.....what is the reason for the discrepancy between myLSN and law School numbers on Harvard chances for 3.6 apps?

9 in, 8WL, and 3 rejects

Could the difference be that you're searching two different parameters? Considering Mylsn uses the same data from LSN, I'd think so!

Seriously though, you're getting ahead of yourself, here's the order things happen: You decide you want to be a lawyer, you take the lsat and do as well as you can, then you see what options you have. You are picking your school and reverse engineering your LSAT score based on it...That's not how it works. You're showing great hope with your current score, and displaying maturity by sitting out to take care of yourself, now study the LSAT, and earn that 178, then worry about Harvard. It's a very long road from 171 at home to 178 on the real thing.

Have you gotten a 178 on a PT/ or Test Day and if so how long did it take for you to get there from where i am at?....I would partially agree since I am looking at T14 schools with the intent to retake with anything less than a 168......in this day with debt/employment figures it doesn't make sense to get a 160 LSAT and go off into LS and have tons of debt and limited options....I probably will need a 168 before LS ( doesn't have to be Harvard by any means, but at least T14/ UT Austin, )

I'm currently from Texas, so I would probably retake if I got denied at UT Austin

fra

Postby fra » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:02 pm

It's pretty impossible to predict what you will score on the actual test projecting from a PT of 171 with extra time.
Also you can't judge how long it will take you to improve based off of someone else's study schedule/time.
For what it's worth (which is basically nothing) I took two months to gain 10 points from my diagnostic- but my diagnostic score was strictly timed. It could take you much longer, since you aren't even testing under strict timing conditions yet, or it could take you much less time. Just study hard, do the best that you can, and worry about everything else in due time.

You should check out the LSAT forum to interact with other people who are studying for the test and come back here when you have actually taken the test and have a score.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:08 pm

MattM wrote:
Clearly wrote:

9 in, 8WL, and 3 rejects

Have you gotten a 178 on a PT/ or Test Day and if so how long did it take for you to get there from where i am at?....I would partially agree since I am looking at T14 schools with the intent to retake with anything less than a 168......in this day with debt/employment figures it doesn't make sense to get a 160 LSAT and go off into LS and have tons of debt and limited options....I probably will need a 168 before LS ( doesn't have to be Harvard by any means, but at least T14/ UT Austin, )

I'm currently from Texas, so I would probably retake if I got denied at UT Austin

I'm not saying go to whatever school you get into by any means. I'm saying do everything you can to crush it and get into great schools, I'm just saying your score tells you what school you go to, not you pick the school and that determines your score lol. The thing about the curve is that at the extreme, it's frustratingly difficult to improve because you're already making so few mistake. Yes I consistently scored at or above that, and my final score wasn't very far off from there. It takes a lot of time and frankly some luck to do it on test day. To put the point climb in perspective, I pulled a fairly recent test curve. To go from a 171 to a 178, you need to take the handful of questions you are getting wrong, and get 65% of them right. Think about that for a minute, you're talking about getting 2/3 of your mistakes correct. I'm not saying its not possible, but 99.8% of people won't pull it off, so don't just assume it's picking up a few more points like nothing. Make sure you are pulling that score consistently on new tests under realistic conditions, come back with the best score you're capable of, and go to a great school. I know I've been playing devils advocate, but its because I want you to realize all of this addendum nonsense is worthless until you have the score!

ETA: If you're not doing it strictly timed, you're not scoring 171 man!

twenty

Postby twenty » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:12 pm

Clearly wrote:ETA: If you're not doing it strictly timed, you're not scoring 171 man!

In fairness, if he actually did get LSAT accommodations (and hell froze over), then "strictly timed" changes up a bit.

MattM

Postby MattM » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:46 am

Thanks for the help!

I realize this is a somewhat pointless post as 1. I know nothing about a possible eye improvement ( may know in about 3 weeks when I see the doctor), which could be huge in factoring if LS is the right call for me given my condition 2. I am still in undergrad, yes a Senior but still have time to raise the GPA ( graduating in Dec '15 but will have a very light courseload to manage the LSAT) 3. No official LSAT

Even though it wasn't expressed well, I was wondering in a hypo scenario i scored between a 168-171 on Test Day if studying hard for a retake would be worth it to apply as a Hail Mary app to HLS or if I should just stop there...168/or acceptance to UT Austin would be my minimum ( none of the other schools in TX really would be worth the cost and low employment chances to make it worth it, maybe SMU at the right price, but probably not even then)

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:35 am

This is all pointless speculation until you have an LSAT score. If you have a 175+, you have a chance at HLS with a 3.6 or something. So just roll with it. Your GPA is what it is.

MattM

Postby MattM » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:34 am

Bump for somewhat different question.

Does HLS average LSAT's or consider highest primarily? I talked to a friend and she is trying to retake the LSAT so she can have a 172 average since she thought they average score, but I mentioned instead they look at highest.

From what I have read on here so far it is highest only at HLS

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:36 am

Only the highest, although I'm sure its human nature to raise an eyebrow at some wide disparity.

pylon

Postby pylon » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:36 am

Highest LSAT

Return to “What are my chances?”