closed

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
User avatar
Big Red
Posts: 3024
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:29 pm

Re: 3.1/167 - Engineering - International ED Cornell or GULC?

Postby Big Red » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:48 pm

Arad wrote:OP, if you what to go to georgetown, apply ED and assuming your application isn't completely shit, I think you'd stand a good chance. I can't speak on behalf of Cornel because I neither looked into that school nor would I recommend anyone spend 3 years in Ithaca when they could be in DC, networking their ass off and enjoying DC


If you want to "network" and screw around on U, you're picking a pretty poor and $$$ way to go about it

Congrats on GULC

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: 3.1/167 - Engineering - International ED Cornell or GULC?

Postby 03152016 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:03 pm

Arad wrote:
Brut wrote:anecdotes and ad comm fluff doesn't change the reality that admissions is foremost a numbers game
softs matter at the margins, it's the exception, not the rule

sorry for the multiple posts, i'm going to be tied up for the next four hours and won't be able to respond so i'm just trying to anticipate the dumb arguments you'll probably make


I'm a 0l with a GPA below every t14s 25th and a 167 LSAT score who was accepted to GULC ED. I'm neither a URM nor do I have significant work experience (I graduated in may). When I asked TLS, I was told their was 0 chance I'd get accepted. After analyzing the situation more and looking at each data point on my LSN (looking only at the past cycle) and assuming a continued decline in applicants (based on slab takers), I concluded that I would without question be accepted to GULC ed, and I was. Looking at a graph and then telling everyone their fate is not only incompetent but detrimental to the futures of those people seeking advice on these forums. Just because something isn't the rule of thumb doesn't it mean it's true.


Georgetown gives a generous Ed boost (despite what that stupid article that shows how ED actually hurts you says)

I'm not saying numbers are irrelevant, but in this applicants case his softs and ED will probably lead to an acceptance or wl (in fact, if it was earlier in the cycle I'd be willing to bet he'd get accepted without question). His numbers are borderline, and Using your own arguments, softs and application quality will be the deciding factor.

OP, if you what to go to georgetown, apply ED and assuming your application isn't completely shit, I think you'd stand a good chance. I can't speak on behalf of Cornel because I neither looked into that school nor would I recommend anyone spend 3 years in Ithaca when they could be in DC, networking their ass off and enjoying DC

amazing
i predicted your argument and dismantled it preemptively
yet you still made the argument
look out gulc, you have some serious mental firepower headed your way

Arad
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 3:17 pm

Re: 3.1/167 - Engineering - International ED Cornell or GULC?

Postby Arad » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:52 pm

Brut wrote:
Arad wrote:
Brut wrote:

amazing
i predicted your argument and dismantled it preemptively
yet you still made the argument
look out gulc, you have some serious mental firepower headed your way


You are making an argument based on the rule of thumb of these forums and the misuse of mylsn. The foundation of my argument is a close analysis of the datapoints as well as evidence from this cycle (not anecdotes, I merely mentioned myself to lend myself credibility as an applicant who went through the application cycle and was accepted). I have anecdotes that run counter to the "rules of thumb" of this cynicism-plagued forum and if I wanted to make that the main point of my argument I would have. However, my point is that for this particular applicant, softs will be the determining factor assuming he applies ED and he will likely get in.

You guys analyze these data points incorrectly and in some cases illogically (such as in the case of this thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=179320). Yes in many instances, just looking at the numbers on mylsn makes sense, but for borderline cases you need to delve deeper into the matter. This is a borderline case!

Accepted 167 3.41 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/lucidpickle
Accepted 167 3.27 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/mmccar21
Waitlisted 167 3.23 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/homelandsagreatshow
Denied 167 3.29 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/JesusChrist

Those are the data points from the past cycle (ED Only). The WL and Deny are both KJDs. The deny has a cookie-cutter major...

Now to this cycle which can be referenced here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

everyone who applied with a 167 and a 3.0+ was accepted.

Since you're such a fan of predictions, I'm going to make one of my own based on your previous posts... You'll probably respond with another ad hominem and no facts to back up your argument.

Brut, I think it's time you go get a hobby other then propagating misconceptions on this forum. You're not doing anyone a service by feeding them bullshit that could affect their decision-making on a decision that will affect the trajectory of their lives for the next 5-10 years (although I don't think you should trust anyone's advice except for your own after a close analysis of the circumstances when making a decision like this)
Last edited by Arad on Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: 3.1/167 - Engineering - International ED Cornell or GULC?

Postby 03152016 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:54 pm

that's not the argument i made at all

tell me what you believe my argument is

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: 3.1/167 - Engineering - International ED Cornell or GULC?

Postby 03152016 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:54 pm

also your prediction is correct you retarded dipshit

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: 3.1/167 - Engineering - International ED Cornell or GULC?

Postby 03152016 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:56 pm

and don't give another non-answer
actually go back and read my posts
try to understand them like a big boy instead of writing another meaningless post that doesn't address my argument

Arad
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 3:17 pm

Re: 3.1/167 - Engineering - International ED Cornell or GULC?

Postby Arad » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:58 pm

Brut wrote:out at cornell
probably out at gulc, but who knows what their applicant pool will look like this year
if you're definitely committed to attending ls, i'd set my sights lower


Was that not your argument?

Correct me if I'm wrong but that seems like an argument to me.

Edit: probably out implies a less than 50% shot. Just throwing that out there.
Last edited by Arad on Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: 3.1/167 - Engineering - International ED Cornell or GULC?

Postby 03152016 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:59 pm

i can tell you'll do very well in law school you master of interpretation

Arad
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 3:17 pm

Re: 3.1/167 - Engineering - International ED Cornell or GULC?

Postby Arad » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:00 pm

Brut wrote:i can tell you'll do very well in law school you master of interpretation


As will you, you master of ad hominems

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: 3.1/167 - Engineering - International ED Cornell or GULC?

Postby 03152016 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:01 pm

so you really can't figure out my argument kiddo? need a grown-up to hold your hand?

User avatar
UnicornHunter
Posts: 13507
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: 3.1/167 - Engineering - International ED Cornell or GULC?

Postby UnicornHunter » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:03 pm

Arad wrote:
Brut wrote:anecdotes and ad comm fluff doesn't change the reality that admissions is foremost a numbers game
softs matter at the margins, it's the exception, not the rule

sorry for the multiple posts, i'm going to be tied up for the next four hours and won't be able to respond so i'm just trying to anticipate the dumb arguments you'll probably make


I'm a 0l with a GPA below every t14s 25th and a 167 LSAT score who was accepted to GULC ED. I'm neither a URM nor do I have significant work experience (I graduated in may). When I asked TLS, I was told their was 0 chance I'd get accepted. After analyzing the situation more and looking at each data point on my LSN (looking only at the past cycle) and assuming a continued decline in applicants (based on slab takers), I concluded that I would without question be accepted to GULC ed, and I was. Looking at a graph and then telling everyone their fate is not only incompetent but detrimental to the futures of those people seeking advice on these forums. Just because something isn't the rule of thumb doesn't it mean it's true.


Georgetown gives a generous Ed boost (despite what that stupid article that shows how ED actually hurts you says)

I'm not saying numbers are irrelevant, but in this applicants case his softs and ED will probably lead to an acceptance or wl (in fact, if it was earlier in the cycle I'd be willing to bet he'd get accepted without question). His numbers are borderline, and Using your own arguments, softs and application quality will be the deciding factor.

OP, if you what to go to georgetown, apply ED and assuming your application isn't completely shit, I think you'd stand a good chance. I can't speak on behalf of Cornel because I neither looked into that school nor would I recommend anyone spend 3 years in Ithaca when they could be in DC, networking their ass off and enjoying DC


I read the post you're talking about. People did NOT tell you that you wouldn't get into GULC. They told you that you wouldn't get a job in DC if you did/ that there was no way GULC was worth paying sticker for.

OP's government ride makes her case a different story.

Arad
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 3:17 pm

Re: 3.1/167 - Engineering - International ED Cornell or GULC?

Postby Arad » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:05 pm

Brut wrote:so you really can't figure out my argument kiddo? need a grown-up to hold your hand?


I understand your argument, in fact your own argument validated mine. "Softs matter at the margins"... This potential applicant is the margin. You also argued that he was probably out as did others, and I argued that he probably is in.

Arad
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 3:17 pm

Re: 3.1/167 - Engineering - International ED Cornell or GULC?

Postby Arad » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:06 pm

The point is, he probably stands a good chance at GULC. That should be the end of the discussion.


Also because of his background (and assuming he wants patent law) I would also make the argument that it would be foolish to attend Cornell over GULC.

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: 3.1/167 - Engineering - International ED Cornell or GULC?

Postby 03152016 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:08 pm

Brut wrote:it takes a pretty serious lack of self awareness to (a) say using data makes you "blind", (b) and then conclude he'll get accepted based on softs and "how well his application was put together" (wtf?)


Brut wrote:anecdotes and ad comm fluff doesn't change the reality that admissions is foremost a numbers game
softs matter at the margins, it's the exception, not the rule


you have now replaced johann as the worst on-topics poster

my point, fairly obviously, was that admissions are largely numbers-driven, and refuting hard data on anecdotes and outliers is a disservice to everyone unfortunate enough to read and believe your bullshit
in no way is op a "borderline" case. he has no softs that will cause him to significantly outperform his numbers.
the spreadsheet you linked to has a single entry with a 167 and a 3.1; the other data points have a higher gpa
it is the mark of a true imbecile to attack conclusions formed from hundreds of data points, and then use anecdotes, outliers, and special snowflake-ism in an attempt to trick unsuspecting 0Ls
and that you completely avoided addressing my argument and pretended to refute it using data points that weren't on point and are inconsistent with your argument shows an intellectual immaturity and a stubbornness to reason that, in my opinion, is a reasonably strong indication that you're going to fail out of gulc

Arad
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 3:17 pm

Re: 3.1/167 - Engineering - International ED Cornell or GULC?

Postby Arad » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:11 pm

Brut wrote:
Brut wrote:it takes a pretty serious lack of self awareness to (a) say using data makes you "blind", (b) and then conclude he'll get accepted based on softs and "how well his application was put together" (wtf?)


Brut wrote:anecdotes and ad comm fluff doesn't change the reality that admissions is foremost a numbers game
softs matter at the margins, it's the exception, not the rule


you have now replaced johann as the worst on-topics poster

my point, fairly obviously, was that admissions are largely numbers-driven, and refuting hard data on anecdotes and outliers is a disservice to everyone unfortunate enough to read and believe your bullshit
in no way is op a "borderline" case. he has no softs that will cause him to significantly outperform his numbers.
the spreadsheet you linked to has a single entry with a 167 and a 3.1; the other data points have a higher gpa
it is the mark of a true imbecile to attack conclusions formed from hundreds of data points, and then use anecdotes, outliers, and special snowflake-ism in an attempt to trick unsuspecting 0Ls
and that you completely avoided addressing my argument and pretended to refute it using data points that weren't on point and are inconsistent with your argument shows an intellectual immaturity and a stubbornness to reason that, in my opinion, is a reasonably strong indication that you're going to fail out of gulc


I chose to ignore those arguments because they are in no way relevant to this thread or the OPs future... Using data does not make you blind. Using data incorrectly does. Saying he is probably out is a misuse of the data whether you want to admit it at or not. Break down how you came to the conclusion that he is probably out and then come back to me and tell me if you misused data or not.

I also never referenced an ad comm nor did I include anecdotes (with the exception of myself, to refute the misguided 0L argument that would have undoubtedly been used)

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: 3.1/167 - Engineering - International ED Cornell or GULC?

Postby 03152016 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:14 pm

denying that cherry picking data, as you did, is highly misleading and should be relied on less than a larger on point sample is a stunningly stupid argument to make

it's even stupider when OP hasn't demonstrated any of the qualities that would distinguish him from the bulk of candidates

if you do not understand why your argument is inconsistent and misleading, i urge you to immediately withdraw, because you will not survive the first week of class

i'm 100% serious, you're making a goddamn fool out of yourself

Arad
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 3:17 pm

Re: 3.1/167 - Engineering - International ED Cornell or GULC?

Postby Arad » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:20 pm

Brut wrote:denying that cherry picking data, as you did, is highly misleading and should be relied on less than a larger on point sample is a stunningly stupid argument to make

it's even stupider when OP hasn't demonstrated any of the qualities that would distinguish him from the bulk of candidates

if you do not understand why your argument is inconsistent and misleading, i urge you to immediately withdraw, because you will not survive the first week of class

i'm 100% serious, you're making a goddamn fool out of yourself


Thank you for the wisdom, but I'm sure I'll do fine.

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: 3.1/167 - Engineering - International ED Cornell or GULC?

Postby 03152016 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:21 pm

no you won't

but agree to disagree

Arad
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 3:17 pm

Re: 3.1/167 - Engineering - International ED Cornell or GULC?

Postby Arad » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:30 pm

Brut wrote:no you won't

but agree to disagree


Finally we agree on something.

User avatar
mohdban
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:06 am

Re: 3.1/167 - Engineering - International ED Cornell or GULC?

Postby mohdban » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:05 pm

Looking at medians it seems OP might have a better chance at Cornell. Their median GPA is lower than GULC's and they are located in Ithaca so they probably receive less love from international applicants than GULC. I'm not sure how their ED programs compare though given Cornell's is pretty recent.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: maddawg2020 and 1 guest