Reverse Splitter Advice

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
magzpie

Reverse Splitter Advice

Postby magzpie » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:26 pm

Hi all-

I've been a lurker on here for a while (without an account), so I have a feeling what the range of responses to my post will be. Still, I'm looking for some answers for my specific situation. Hopefully a few of you can help.

I think I am what you would consider a decent reverse splitter. I'm K-JD, a female, and I have a 4.0 GPA, but after taking the LSAT twice I have scores only at 164 and 165 despite PTing (especially for the second test) at 167-172. Some unlucky test day circumstances probably account for this, but I was also practicing with older tests or tests that I was familiar with/remembered the answers. Not the smartest preparation, I am aware.

I decided to still apply this cycle at the urging of some awesome professors, but am now worrying that I will have regrets because of my decision. I have applied to a broad range of schools, have acceptances at BU, WashU, and MN (with a full ride), as well as interviews in the works with GULC, UVA (tmrw!!), and NU. A T14 school is my goal.

My first question is: if I take the February LSAT and attempt to raise my score, will I be at a significant disadvantage? Or would it be worth it to put my apps on hold for certain schools (i.e. Mich, NYU, NU, Duke, Penn) and await Feb. results?

Obviously then there is the option to take a year off and retake in June. In this case, is it to my advantage to let my currently completed apps play out as they may?

From where I stand I'm pretty confused about what is the best option for me. After reading posts on here for a while I felt like this was the best place to come for advice.

Thank you in advance!

Sheriff

Re: Reverse Splitter Advice

Postby Sheriff » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:32 pm

Tell the schools to hold off on a decision until after your Feb score. You won't be at a major disadvantage.

If you don't get significant money at a T14 after that, sit out and retake again. A 4.0 is golden. A good LSAT testing day is all that stands between you and Harvard, or at least a T14 for free. Maximize that 4.0's utility.

4LTsPointingNorth

Postby 4LTsPointingNorth » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:38 pm

Without a doubt, you will have the best possible outcomes (i.e., range of schools to which you're accepted, amount of merit scholarship awards you receive, and prospects during On-Campus Interviewing a year after you begin law school) if you sit out this cycle, study hard, retake in June, and gain a year or two of substantive work experience.

That doesn't mean your outcomes should you choose to follow through with all your applications this year will be bad. They just won't be as good. If you can get in or waitlisted at a T14 school and bring your LSAT to 170+, you may still be able to attend a top school with some scholarship money. You'll just be materially disadvantaged compared to where you could be if you took time off to really improve your LSAT and to gain real world and work experience.

TL;DR, Don't waste a GPA that good by rushing into law school

magzpie

Postby magzpie » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:05 pm

Thank you both for your responses. Lots to think about!

Might not be the right thread, but since it applies to my current position: is there a way to retake in Feb. without putting all of my apps on hold, but just specific T10 that I think may raise my chances? And if I do score 170+, am I able to let schools that I'm either accepted to or waitlisted at know that score for money/addendum purposes?

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:07 pm

I'd withdraw all your applications now, study hard for June (or later) and put off law school for at least a year. Best case scenario, you find something better/more interesting to do with your life than become a lawyer. Even if that doesn't happen you can at least have a fun gap year and likely much better law school options.

Life is too short to hitch your 4.0 up to rando regional schools

Sheriff

Postby Sheriff » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:09 pm

magzpie wrote:Thank you both for your responses. Lots to think about!

Might not be the right thread, but since it applies to my current position: is there a way to retake in Feb. without putting all of my apps on hold, but just specific T10 that I think may raise my chances? And if I do score 170+, am I able to let schools that I'm either accepted to or waitlisted at know that score for money/addendum purposes?

Yes. Just email them saying that you scored a xxx and want more money (in your own words). Even if you don't score higher, ask for more money anyway.

magzpie

Postby magzpie » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:14 pm

BigZuck wrote:I'd withdraw all your applications now, study hard for June (or later) and put off law school for at least a year. Best case scenario, you find something better/more interesting to do with your life than become a lawyer. Even if that doesn't happen you can at least have a fun gap year and likely much better law school options.

Is there an advantage in withdrawing vs. allowing them to play out?

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:22 pm

magzpie wrote:
BigZuck wrote:I'd withdraw all your applications now, study hard for June (or later) and put off law school for at least a year. Best case scenario, you find something better/more interesting to do with your life than become a lawyer. Even if that doesn't happen you can at least have a fun gap year and likely much better law school options.

You should take a year off, in my opinion. Withdrawing now makes your "yeah, I applied here last year but realized I needed to take a year off to properly prepare for the lsat and save up money, blah, blah" (or whatever) addendum sound better than applying, getting a decision, withdrawing in like April, and then having to explain why you diznied them the year before but totes want to attend this go around.

If you can adequately prepare for February (and by that I mean you know that you'll be 100% at your best and your score won't be any higher if you took it in June) and you are DEAD SET on going next year then I would just tell all the schools "plz wait for Feb thanx"

I don't think going to law school is the best use of your 22nd/23rd year on this earth but that's a personal decision I guess. So many more productive things you can do with you life, like have fun, hang with friends, etc. IMO

Kratos

Postby Kratos » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:57 am

BigZuck wrote:
magzpie wrote:

You should take a year off, in my opinion. Withdrawing now makes your "yeah, I applied here last year but realized I needed to take a year off to properly prepare for the lsat and save up money, blah, blah" (or whatever) addendum sound better than applying, getting a decision, withdrawing in like April, and then having to explain why you diznied them the year before but totes want to attend this go around.

If you can adequately prepare for February (and by that I mean you know that you'll be 100% at your best and your score won't be any higher if you took it in June) and you are DEAD SET on going next year then I would just tell all the schools "plz wait for Feb thanx"

I don't think going to law school is the best use of your 22nd/23rd year on this earth but that's a personal decision I guess. So many more productive things you can do with you life, like have fun, hang with friends, etc. IMO

+infinite

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:01 pm

Advice for a reverse splitter? Don't be one

(Retake)

Return to “What are my chances?”