3.5 164-165?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
hopefulrs
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:40 pm

3.5 164-165?

Postby hopefulrs » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:01 pm

Hi
Thoughts?

Thank you in advance.
Last edited by hopefulrs on Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Kratos
Posts: 6778
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:50 pm

Re: 3.5 164-165 GULC PT?

Postby Kratos » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:47 pm

Do you have a job lined up currently?

hopefulrs
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:40 pm

Re: 3.5 164-165 GULC PT?

Postby hopefulrs » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:24 pm

No, I hope to though.

hopefulrs
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:40 pm

Re: 3.5 164-165 GULC PT?

Postby hopefulrs » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:57 pm

Bump?

User avatar
Bravo
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:33 pm

Re: 3.5 164-165 GULC PT?

Postby Bravo » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:45 pm

hopefulrs wrote:Hi Everyone,

I am interested in becoming an patent attorney, and it is becoming increasingly clear that I will need to go to law school part time for financial reasons (supporting family etc).

I have looked on LSN already and know that these stats are below GULCs normally accepted numbers. Graduated from college back in 2010 with my bachelors in biology. My shitty GPA is a result of "overdoing it" (I took 20+ credits at a time of upper level bio, against all common sense, and got straight B's during my entire JR year... increased my senior year when I took less).

I was wondering if my softs would help me out a little here?

About to graduate with my doctorate in molecular biology from a large state school.
Will have 3-4 publications.
Started college at age 16 (is this worth mentioning in a statement somewhere? Its been 4 years since college, doesn't seem as salient now)
Actively involved in technology entrepreneurship programs, where I've taken various seminars on patent law.
Established a scientific policy program at my school.
Semi-finalist for national government fellowship.

Thoughts?

Thank you in advance.

PS I'm South American, and that doesn't count as a URM, and that sucks. :( Clearly could've used the boost!


Have you considered applying to Georgetown ED? Your numbers are definitely on the lower end for Georgetown, so I'd assume applying ED would increase your chances.

User avatar
KMart
Posts: 3628
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:25 am

Re: 3.5 164-165 GULC PT?

Postby KMart » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:50 pm

Bravo wrote:
Have you considered applying to Georgetown ED? Your numbers are definitely on the lower end for Georgetown, so I'd assume applying ED would increase your chances.

Can you ED the part time program? I'm not sure if you can, but I could be wrong. Still might not be a good idea if OP has financial concerns regarding school, but it would certainly give them a boost if they're dead set on a single school.

User avatar
Bravo
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:33 pm

Re: 3.5 164-165 GULC PT?

Postby Bravo » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:59 pm

imKMart wrote:
Bravo wrote:
Have you considered applying to Georgetown ED? Your numbers are definitely on the lower end for Georgetown, so I'd assume applying ED would increase your chances.

Can you ED the part time program? I'm not sure if you can, but I could be wrong. Still might not be a good idea if OP has financial concerns regarding school, but it would certainly give them a boost if they're dead set on a single school.



I'm not sure. I haven't looked into any PT programs but I think I have heard people mention applying ED to a PT program before. It may depend on the school. I just recommended ED because I doubt his numbers would qualify him for any scholarship money from Georgetown anyway.

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: 3.5 164-165 GULC PT?

Postby 03152016 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:43 am

you should probably retake
it sounds like you'll be debt financing a good chunk of your education
you can save tens of thousands of dollars, or more, by retaking

hopefulrs
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:40 pm

Re: 3.5 164-165 GULC PT?

Postby hopefulrs » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:52 pm

Point of clarification: Do you mean I will save thousands bc they probably would accept me without school. money?

User avatar
dardardelight
Posts: 99
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:17 pm

Re: 3.5 164-165 GULC PT?

Postby dardardelight » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:01 pm

If patent / IP law is your goal, I'd seriously consider just applying to GW part time RD, and gtown regular decision, etc because. GW's IP program is prob more reputable than that of gtown, and you might be able to squeeze some $ out of them. And a t-14-20 besides GW (washu) is bound to give you some scholarship.

Take my advice with a grain of salt, but GW's IP program is excellent and you'd get into there imo..

User avatar
Ron Don Volante
Posts: 899
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:26 pm

Re: 3.5 164-165 GULC PT?

Postby Ron Don Volante » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:22 pm

Bravo wrote:Have you considered applying to Georgetown ED? Your numbers are definitely on the lower end for Georgetown, so I'd assume applying ED would increase your chances.

Hi. Welcome to TLS.

Would you be a dear and never give advice again? (Or, if you have to continue, at least give advice that isn't fucking repugnant)

OP: GULC is simply not going to work at those numbers, sorry. Retake, adjust your goals, or find another career path.

stew0610
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:21 pm

Re: 3.5 164-165 GULC PT?

Postby stew0610 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:36 pm

Ron Don Volante wrote:
OP: GULC is simply not going to work at those numbers, sorry. Retake, adjust your goals, or find another career path.


LSAT is actually at 75th percentile (158-165) for PT program and GPA is well within the range.

User avatar
Ron Don Volante
Posts: 899
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:26 pm

Re: 3.5 164-165 GULC PT?

Postby Ron Don Volante » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:42 pm

stew0610 wrote:
Ron Don Volante wrote:
OP: GULC is simply not going to work at those numbers, sorry. Retake, adjust your goals, or find another career path.


LSAT is actually at 75th percentile (158-165) for PT program and GPA is well within the range.

Cool story. Your point? GTTTown PT is a really not good outcome for a situation like this.
Last edited by Ron Don Volante on Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck
Posts: 10873
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: 3.5 164-165 GULC PT?

Postby BigZuck » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:43 pm

stew0610 wrote:
Ron Don Volante wrote:
OP: GULC is simply not going to work at those numbers, sorry. Retake, adjust your goals, or find another career path.


LSAT is actually at 75th percentile (158-165) for PT program and GPA is well within the range.


I couldn't find those numbers on their website, not sure where to look, would you mind linking it?

It's not clear to me that the OP actually has a 164 or a 165, are those real scores?

stew0610
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:21 pm

Re: 3.5 164-165 GULC PT?

Postby stew0610 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:56 pm

BigZuck wrote:I couldn't find those numbers on their website, not sure where to look, would you mind linking it?


http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... w-rankings

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 11952
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: 3.5 164-165 GULC PT?

Postby Rigo » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:16 pm

stew0610 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:I couldn't find those numbers on their website, not sure where to look, would you mind linking it?

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... w-rankings

Nope.
160-164-168 for Georgetown PT.
Always consult the school's 509.
http://www.abarequireddisclosures.org

User avatar
Ron Don Volante
Posts: 899
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:26 pm

Re: 3.5 164-165 GULC PT?

Postby Ron Don Volante » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:55 pm

Dirigo wrote:
stew0610 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:I couldn't find those numbers on their website, not sure where to look, would you mind linking it?

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... w-rankings

Nope.
160-164-168 for Georgetown PT.
Always consult the school's 509.
http://www.abarequireddisclosures.org

Barf.

There are 239 PT students. 13 of them have a scholarship. 0 of them have a 1/2 or > tuition scholarship. Median grant of those lucky 13? $6000 a year. PT tuition? A cool $38K.

GT PT might make sense for people with really legit, well-paying jobs on the hill who for some reason need a preftigious law degree. I doubt such people exist though.

konoha
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:45 pm

Re: 3.5 164-165 GULC PT?

Postby konoha » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:48 pm

Ron Don Volante wrote:
Dirigo wrote:
stew0610 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:I couldn't find those numbers on their website, not sure where to look, would you mind linking it?

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... w-rankings

Nope.
160-164-168 for Georgetown PT.
Always consult the school's 509.
http://www.abarequireddisclosures.org

Barf.

There are 239 PT students. 13 of them have a scholarship. 0 of them have a 1/2 or > tuition scholarship. Median grant of those lucky 13? $6000 a year. PT tuition? A cool $38K.

GT PT might make sense for people with really legit, well-paying jobs on the hill who for some reason need a preftigious law degree. I doubt such people exist though.


There are plenty at the PTO office. The PTO even foots the bill.

mickey_mouse
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:12 pm

Re: 3.5 164-165 GULC PT?

Postby mickey_mouse » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:12 pm

If you're choosing GULC b/c of DC, think about GW as well, maybe even ED there- ED offers full-tuition. They've got a solid IP program that places really well, according to everyone on this site. With your PhD, you'd probably do well there.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests