Not just another chances question

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!

Should I take the job?

No, ride out the cycle and see where it takes you.
4
40%
Yes, work 2 years and reapply (assuming you don't get a 2yr deferral)
6
60%
Yes, work 1 year, leave the firm and go to law school (assuming you get a 1yr deferral)
0
No votes
Other (please leave comment below)
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 10

Kataro55
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:45 pm

Not just another chances question

Postby Kataro55 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:23 pm

Hi all,

This is my first time posting on TLS. I've been reading the forums for a while now, and you guys have all helped me tremendously with understanding what it really takes to get into top schools.

This post is a bit of a mix between "what are my chances?" and "what should I do?"

Basically, I recently received an offer from a Vault 50 firm to work for them as a technical adviser. I have, however, already applied to law school, and I'd much rather go now (if I am lucky enough to get into HYS this cycle). This effectively leaves me with two options: Wait out this cycle after denying the offer and accept the offer and deffer any acceptance I get for a year (which, from my understanding is not guaranteed).

I'd like to weigh out my options and get some opinions (even if they're from people I have never met before) as I make my decision.

I'd like to know what my chances at HYS are. I have used mylsn to get an idea, but there are certain aspects of my stats that mylsn does not, in my opinion, fully consider.
My current (I am a senior) GPA is 3.85
I am an Electrical Engineering major at HYP.
My LSAT Scores are 168 and 174.
I have already applied to law schools (submitted 11/21)
For now, let's assume average to slightly above average softs - I have held two internships, won an international engineering related competition, held 2 mini (less than part time) jobs during school and help my parents at our small business during breaks.

My first concern is about the LSAT retake. I am not sure to what extent my original 168 will affect my decision at HYS, but I am sure it cannot be as strong as a pure 174. I have included an addendum, there were no significant extenuating circumstances other than some test anxiety my first time and my failure to recognize its impact on my score.

The second is how likely it is to be readmitted (with a possibly slightly lower GPA - say 3.84 to be conservative) to HYS if I decide to accept this offer and am unable to secure a deferral.

The relevant details of the offer are below:

The basic premise is that I work for the firm for 2 years, and then I go to law school (with them paying!) while working part time. There are no restrictions on which school I go to provided I keep working. I would need to bill around 1200 hours per year while in law school. (Which boils down to around 24 billed a week) After I graduate, I would be up for consideration as a second or third year associate at the firm.

The pro of the job is obviously that the firm will pay for law school, but what I am wrestling with is that I would have to work during law school as well as the year or two that I would lose working as a technical adviser instead of going to law school and graduating 2 years earlier. In addition, since the pay is pretty good, I would probably be ineligible for any financial aid should I choose to leave the firm before completing law school.

Essentially, I think that my choices boil down to:
I don't take the job, and ride out the cycle and see where it takes me.
I take the job, work 2 years and reapply (assuming I can't get a 2yr deferral)
I take the job, work 1 year, leave the firm and go to law school (assuming I get a 1yr deferral)

I apologize for the long first post, but I'd appreciate your guys' insights!
(and sorry if this is the wrong section. Like I said earlier, this isn't just a typical "what are my chances?" post)

User avatar
fats provolone
Posts: 7125
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:44 pm

Re: Not just another chances question

Postby fats provolone » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:27 pm

I would take the job and reapply later. it seems like a 180 job btw. and you will learn a lot about patent law. and maybe decide you don't want to go to ls.

mvp99
Posts: 1384
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:00 pm

Re: Not just another chances question

Postby mvp99 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:29 pm

I wouldn't have included an addendum, especially for that reason. Don't do it again in two years.

User avatar
lashley
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:04 am

Re: Not just another chances question

Postby lashley » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:34 pm

I could be wrong, but aren't there restrictions (especially on 1Ls) on how much they can work outside of school?

User avatar
KMart
Posts: 3627
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:25 am

Re: Not just another chances question

Postby KMart » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:35 pm

lashley wrote:I could be wrong, but aren't there restrictions (especially on 1Ls) on how much they can work outside of school?

I believe you are correct. It's something like 10hours/week. I vaguely remember reading about that, too.

User avatar
Hand
Posts: 3522
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 11:33 am

Re: Not just another chances question

Postby Hand » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:37 pm

imKMart wrote:
lashley wrote:I could be wrong, but aren't there restrictions (especially on 1Ls) on how much they can work outside of school?

I believe you are correct. It's something like 10hours/week. I vaguely remember reading about that, too.


I believe that only goes for 1st yr students

anyway, the firm will pay for law school if you work there for 2 yrs? take the job, harvard will still want you in 2 yrs, and then while you may not get any need aid you will also not need it

eta: except they won't pay if you won't work the requisite # of hours it seems. in that case, still take the job for a bit, it'll be great experience that will help both with getting accepted and with getting a job coming out
Last edited by Hand on Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
UnicornHunter
Posts: 13507
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Not just another chances question

Postby UnicornHunter » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:38 pm

Choice A would be to take the job. The general rule is that you don't want to be a K-JD.*
Choice B is to go to the T14 that gives you a full ride. It's certainly possible with your numbers, and it's an acceptable life move to go to law school for free, even if you are K-JD.






*Like others pointed out, check for ABA and school-specific restrictions on how much you are allowed to work in 1L. I think it's 20 hours ABA and some schools are stricter.

User avatar
fats provolone
Posts: 7125
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:44 pm

Re: Not just another chances question

Postby fats provolone » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:38 pm

because I'm a masochist: what does the tech. advisor job pay?

User avatar
fats provolone
Posts: 7125
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:44 pm

Re: Not just another chances question

Postby fats provolone » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:39 pm

also pretty sure there's no restriction on working when you're going to school part time and also no one cares about that ABA rule except tlsers.

skri65
Posts: 484
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:07 pm

Re: Not just another chances question

Postby skri65 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:48 pm

As someone who has seen the advantage that an EE or CS background can give you in the job search, should you decide to go to law school, you should go to the T14 that gives you the most money as oppose to narrowing your sights to the top 3. With your EE background from a top school, you will be virtually guaranteed a job at any T10 unless you are socially inept.

User avatar
Kratos
Posts: 6771
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:50 pm

Re: Not just another chances question

Postby Kratos » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:30 am

Kataro55 wrote:The basic premise is that I work for the firm for 2 years, and then I go to law school (with them paying!) while working part time. There are no restrictions on which school I go to provided I keep working. I would need to bill around 1200 hours per year while in law school. (Which boils down to around 24 billed a week) After I graduate, I would be up for consideration as a second or third year associate at the firm.

Where's the firm? Would it limit the schools you can go to? Oh wait doesn't matter, take the job.

User avatar
chuckbass
Posts: 9957
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Re: Not just another chances question

Postby chuckbass » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:36 am

Yea I say take the job, but I wouldn't expect for the firm paying for you to go to school to workout.

Isn't GULC the only T14 with a part time program?

User avatar
Kratos
Posts: 6771
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:50 pm

Re: Not just another chances question

Postby Kratos » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:21 am

scottidsntknow wrote:Yea I say take the job, but I wouldn't expect for the firm paying for you to go to school to workout.

Isn't GULC the only T14 with a part time program?

Yea but see
fats provolone wrote:also no one cares about that ABA rule except tlsers.

kcdc1
Posts: 930
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:48 am

Re: Not just another chances question

Postby kcdc1 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:23 am

Take the job for the summer, and leave to start school full time next fall.

I ordinarily tell people to delay school to get WE, but your case is an exception. You are going to get a full ride at multiple T14 schools (don't go to HYS unless you know that you want to be a professor).

And you're 100% going to get biglaw if you want it. You'll have ~3 months of law firm experience working in IP, which employers will value (and your firm will want you back). That EE degree is in incredibly high demand in IP, and the great GPA from a top program is icing on the cake. On top of that, your resume will show a top law school with a full merit scholarship.

Short of vomiting on your interviewers, you can't miss biglaw.

It's possible to work while you attend school, but I don't think it's worth it in your case. You're young, and I'm assuming you don't have a family to pay for, so you don't NEED to have an income immediately. And you're going to get a full ride. So you'd essentially be working night and day for 3-4 years to earn a part time technical advisor salary. I'd recommend that you instead enjoy law school -- and your grades will benefit from your full-time attention to school.

You will have ample opportunity to work yourself to death after school, and the compensation will be much higher at that point. The part time technical advisor salary will probably seem like a drop in the bucket 10 years from now.

Also, you might be inclined to feel badly about accepting the job and then leaving after 3 months. Don't stress it. Accept now. At some point in April/May, before you start, let your firm know that you were offered a full ride at x school, and while you're very excited about starting work with their firm, you recognize that attending law school will be important to your career development and you can't justifiably turn down this offer. As such, you will most likely leave town this coming August. Nonetheless, you look forward to starting work this summer and you hope to have the opportunity to return to work with firm x firm over the coming years.

This firm hired you fully expecting you to go to law school soon. This development won't surprise you, and they're going to want you back.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: renc56 and 3 guests