URM Male 3.6 170+ Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
blueme2

New

URM Male 3.6 170+

Post by blueme2 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:17 pm

Okay guys, this is probably going to sound dumb, but I'm a Spanish major and have mostly taken easy blowoff classes in my UG. I studied my butt off for the LSAT and ended up scoring a 170+ I am an AA male. I know I'm an AA male and get a little boost or whatever, BUT in all honesty, I have almost no good softs except for a law firm internship I did while studying abroad in Costa Rica. Should I still be applying for the top schools? or should I aim for t30/my strong regionals?

I just feel so average despite having a good lsat score and AA because of the lack of rigor demonstrated in my UG transcript and almost no softs =/ anyone know how law schools will see that?

RZ5646

Gold

Re: URM Male 3.6 170+

Post by RZ5646 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:19 pm

blueme2 wrote:Spanish major and have mostly taken easy blowoff classes in my UG ... lack of rigor demonstrated in my UG transcript
Just curious, why is your GPA so low then?

blueme2

New

Post by blueme2 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:23 pm

RZ5646 wrote:
blueme2 wrote:Spanish major and have mostly taken easy blowoff classes in my UG ... lack of rigor demonstrated in my UG transcript
When I studied intensive Spanish abroad I got a B+ in that class for both semesters, before that I had a 3.8+ The class was worth many credits.

It still haunts me to this day. Sometimes I go, "what if I didn't study in that stupid program?" I just had a really hard time out there even though I gave it my best.

ballcaps

Silver

Post by ballcaps » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:41 pm

dude. AA male/3.6/170?

game over. T6, probably HYS.

transferror

Silver

Post by transferror » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:47 pm

RZ5646 wrote:
Jesus, a 3.6 is not low. No school is out of reach with a 3.6, especially for an AA male.

OP, you'll be fine. I don't know how high your LSAT is since you said 170+, but if it's 175 or better, I'd wager you're in at one of HYS.
You'll definitely get big money in the T14. Congrats and enjoy.

**Scooped

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ballcaps

Silver

Post by ballcaps » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:54 pm

http://mylsn.info/w5tv6g/

and that's assuming low 170s.

mt2165

Silver

Post by mt2165 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:59 pm

Golden-def in a H, very good chance a S and decent chance at Y. Make sure you have good timely apps, I know of AA's that applied haphazardly late in the cycle with your stats or even better and didn't yield the results they should've. Craft the absolute best application you can, work your statements to death, and if you're applying this cycle, apply ASAP.

blueme2

New

Post by blueme2 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:31 am

mt2165 wrote:Golden-def in a H, very good chance a S and decent chance at Y. Make sure you have good timely apps, I know of AA's that applied haphazardly late in the cycle with your stats or even better and didn't yield the results they should've. Craft the absolute best application you can, work your statements to death, and if you're applying this cycle, apply ASAP.
Thank you, thank you all for the advice!

I'm going to apply early next year for the next cycle. I just really thought that "academic rigor" would really hinder my app. Applying to LS really is a numbers game huh?

In order to craft the best app possible, I saved some money and will probably be contacting Spivey for help (I mention it in case anyone has experience with them).

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:22 am

blueme2 wrote:Applying to LS really is a numbers game huh?
Pretty much.

& Spivey is awesome.

mt2165

Silver

Post by mt2165 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:36 am

blueme2 wrote:
mt2165 wrote:Golden-def in a H, very good chance a S and decent chance at Y. Make sure you have good timely apps, I know of AA's that applied haphazardly late in the cycle with your stats or even better and didn't yield the results they should've. Craft the absolute best application you can, work your statements to death, and if you're applying this cycle, apply ASAP.
Thank you, thank you all for the advice!

I'm going to apply early next year for the next cycle. I just really thought that "academic rigor" would really hinder my app. Applying to LS really is a numbers game huh?

In order to craft the best app possible, I saved some money and will probably be contacting Spivey for help (I mention it in case anyone has experience with them).
Yeah you're probably going to be shocked at how well you'll do. A couple things I'd note, you have a very solid chance at a full ride in the t7-14/NYU. To me that's a best case scenario (since idk if you have ruby or Hamilton numbers). HYS are amazing but most likely not worth 200k plus over the rest of the T14. If you're risk adverse I might try the NW ED, which I think you have a great chance at despite no WE (NW ED cones with auto 50k/year scholly). You're in awesome shape good luck pm me if you wanna talk ever (AA Male @ T14).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”