Applying ED GWU Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
kittenmittens

New

Applying ED GWU

Post by kittenmittens » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:27 pm

My #’s : 166 (162 first take), 3.93 (from big state school)

My preference is to be in DC. New York less likely option, and smaller possibility of Bay Area near SF. I want to get into Public Interest. I am aware of how competitive it is for those jobs though, and therefore cost is a major issue for me (want to cut down risk, reliance on LRAPS in case reality pushes me into non-PI). That’s why I am thinking of George Washington ED for the full ride that goes with it.

I know most people on TLS are in a league above me, so it’s worth it to say that my goals might not be the same. I don’t want Biglaw. I want to have a good shot at making a living and not be buried in debt.

GW has about 20% of grads in government jobs. And overall full-time employment of 75% - 80% (45% in DC) per LST.

I want to know what you think my chances are for GWU Early admission. My 166 puts me between their 50% and 75% from last year, and my GPA is >75% . Are my numbers the type that schools like GW are looking for their ED?

xylocarp

Platinum

Re: Applying ED GWU

Post by xylocarp » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:30 pm

I'd say your chances are pretty good, and I'd definitely go for it. worst comes to worst, they'll knock you over to RD and accept you with $$ there
Last edited by xylocarp on Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kratos

Platinum

Post by Kratos » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:26 pm

retake dude. Why are all you people desperate to waste such high GPAs.

xylocarp

Platinum

Post by xylocarp » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:31 pm

Kratos wrote:retake dude. Why are all you people desperate to waste such high GPAs.
meh, ED GWU is not at all a bad choice for this person imo.
Last edited by xylocarp on Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gnomgnomuch

Silver

Post by gnomgnomuch » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:45 pm

xylocarp wrote:
Kratos wrote:retake dude. Why are all you people desperate to waste such high GPAs.
meh, ED GWU is not at all a bad choice for this person imo.
Not at all, but getting to 170's could possibly make NU full ride (assuming ED), and certainly give him t-14 with great money. Plus while this person might not want big-law, the network from the top schools could be much more conducive than GW.

But, he/she sounds pretty set on what they want, and are mature enough to understand the trade-offs, so you can't fault a GW full ride.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kittenmittens

New

Post by kittenmittens » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:48 pm

Thanks for your responses Xylo, and gnomgnom! I'm pretty set on the locations I talked about in my OP, so Northwestern isn't a real possibility for me.
How do you see this as being a waste?

For example per MyLSN right now my numbers stand at about:
Georgetown - 65% admission 0% scholarship
NYU - 56% admission 0% scholarship
Berkeley - 43% admission 0% scholarship

Let's say I can bump up to 170 (easy to type, far from certain to actually accomplish)
That changes thing to:
Georgetown - 96% admission 23% scholarship (90k avg)
NYU - 77% admission 35% scholarship (50k avg)
Berkeley - 50% admission 0% scholarship

Yeah, it'd be pretty sweet if I got a good offer from Georgetown, but still unlikely. Even if I get lucky at NYU, with cost of living probably still looking at least 150K in debt. So how is shooting for full ride at GW now a waste?

Anyways my main point was to try and understand what types of numbers everyone thinks ED at places like GW looks for. Don't know how to find any quantitative data on that

bethesda

New

Post by bethesda » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:04 pm

You and I are a lot the same! I can't give you any stats on likelihood of admission - just assurance that you're not alone. I'm 166, 3.9 and a few years out of college. I applied ED to the part-time program (no news yet on decision). My test-day LSAT went better than any practice test I took, so I'm not tempting fate with a re-take. I don't want Big Law, and I want to stay in DC. As I see it, there's no harm in applying ED to GWU under those circumstances. Best case scenario? Admitted with a full scholarship. Worst case scenario? Get bumped to RD and am still likely admitted, hopefully with some money (PT scholarship money seems really hit-and-miss at most schools, though). Unless there's another school that can give you the same guarantee of scholarship with ED and you feel much more confident of admission there, and would be happy/happier there, then why not apply ED to GWU?

Best of luck, whatever you decide!

Kratos

Platinum

Post by Kratos » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:33 pm

kittenmittens wrote:Thanks for your responses Xylo, and gnomgnom! I'm pretty set on the locations I talked about in my OP, so Northwestern isn't a real possibility for me.
How do you see this as being a waste?

For example per MyLSN right now my numbers stand at about:
Georgetown - 65% admission 0% scholarship
NYU - 56% admission 0% scholarship
Berkeley - 43% admission 0% scholarship

Let's say I can bump up to 170 (easy to type, far from certain to actually accomplish)
That changes thing to:
Georgetown - 96% admission 23% scholarship (90k avg)
NYU - 77% admission 35% scholarship (50k avg)
Berkeley - 50% admission 0% scholarship

Yeah, it'd be pretty sweet if I got a good offer from Georgetown, but still unlikely. Even if I get lucky at NYU, with cost of living probably still looking at least 150K in debt. So how is shooting for full ride at GW now a waste?

Anyways my main point was to try and understand what types of numbers everyone thinks ED at places like GW looks for. Don't know how to find any quantitative data on that
Umm its a waste because you could be looking at a T14 school where you have better job opportunities if you retake. Also, if you do better than 170, then you could be looking at HYS or one of the big schollies at NYU or Columbia. Or you could be a shoe in for ED at GWU because we all know that if you ED now, don't get it, but still get in with a lesser scholly you're still probably gonna go since somehow people can't be bothered to wait a year and reapply, which means you're gonna be debt fucked from a classic trap school. But hey if you wanna go ASAP for whatever reason, do you.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:05 pm

Retake

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bananafish

New

Post by bananafish » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:46 pm

My friend applied ED in November 2012 with a 167/3.8 and was ultimately accepted w/ a good amount of $$$ but did not get the full-ride. Friend had good softs as well w/ STEM major. It's possible you could still get the full-ride, but I definitely wouldn't bank on it.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:49 pm

Just retake and cop a monster scholly at Duke. Don't waste that GPA.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:02 pm

While it does seem like there are a lot of reverse splitters this cycle that VERY CONVENIENTLY don't want biglaw, there's nevertheless a pretty strong argument to be made for GWU on a full ride. BU offers a similar program, but over there you'd be above the 75ths for both, which might make you more competitive than at GWU. One reason I might take BU over GWU (excluding the fact that you would be a lot more likely to get the former) is that GWU has been pumping up its class size, which is incredibly irresponsible ITE, and will ultimately hurt its grads a lot.

To echo everyone else though, retake, especially because this:
I want to have a good shot at making a living and not be buried in debt.
Why disadvantage yourself from the beginning?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”