3.57 GPA/ 165 LSAT URM Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
mak123

New

3.57 GPA/ 165 LSAT URM

Post by mak123 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:17 pm

As I stated before, I have a 3.57 GPA (3.88 major GPA, and upward trend) and a 165 LSAT score. I am an Economics major and a math minor. I am an American Indian URM (but not enrolled in a federally recognized tribe). I also am hispanic(non-URM).

Retake is not an option as I took the LSAT twice before as well (160,158)

What are my chances for the following schools?
I am planning on applying ED to UPenn, and will apply to UCLA, USC, Notre Dame, NW, Gtown, Cornell, BU, BC.

Thanks.

Dream_weaver32

Silver

Re: 3.57 GPA/ 165 LSAT URM

Post by Dream_weaver32 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:31 pm

If you aren't enrolled in a recognized tribe, can you actually claim NA status?

mak123

New

Post by mak123 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:43 pm

"If you aren't enrolled in a recognized tribe, can you actually claim NA status?"

It asks if you are American Indian not Native American. The American Indian term includes tribes from South America and North America. Because the tribe I belong to is a tribe located in South America, it is not a federally recognized tribe in the US, however, I still am American Indian. So I believe I still am allowed to claim it.

Dream_weaver32

Silver

Post by Dream_weaver32 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:47 pm

mak123 wrote:"If you aren't enrolled in a recognized tribe, can you actually claim NA status?"

It asks if you are American Indian not Native American. The American Indian term includes tribes from South America and North America. Because the tribe I belong to is a tribe located in South America, it is not a federally recognized tribe in the US, however, I still am American Indian. So I believe I still am allowed to claim it.
Just curious. I am a member of a tribe, and some schools in the application ask for your ID #. You might look into it just to make sure you aren't putting yourself in a bad spot if they ask for something you can't offer them. Join us over in the URM forum, people there might be of more help.

mak123

New

Post by mak123 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:56 pm

Dream_weaver32 wrote:
mak123 wrote:"If you aren't enrolled in a recognized tribe, can you actually claim NA status?"

Just curious. I am a member of a tribe, and some schools in the application ask for your ID #. You might look into it just to make sure you aren't putting yourself in a bad spot if they ask for something you can't offer them. Join us over in the URM forum, people there might be of more help.

That is what I was worried about as well, however when indicating what tribe I belong to, I am planning on stating the name of the tribe and also that it is an indigenous tribe in Peru. I have records but because it is a tribe in Peru, they do not give out any type of identification numbers.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dream_weaver32

Silver

Post by Dream_weaver32 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:06 pm

I would post in the ask an admissions officer forum with Meeker or Spivey. And look in the URM thread.

mak123

New

Post by mak123 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:17 pm

Dream_weaver32 wrote:I would post in the ask an admissions officer forum with Meeker or Spivey. And look in the URM thread.

Thank you I will do that!

What are my chances for the schools that I have listed?

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:29 pm

mak123 wrote:
Dream_weaver32 wrote:I would post in the ask an admissions officer forum with Meeker or Spivey. And look in the URM thread.

I think you need to figure out the American Indian thing first. You may not be a URM at all, which would change things quite a bit.

mak123

New

Post by mak123 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:08 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
mak123 wrote:

I think you need to figure out the American Indian thing first. You may not be a URM at all, which would change things quite a bit.

What I am planning on doing is writing a short addendum explaining my identification as an American Indian and distinguishing myself from the typical American Indian applicant, who is Native American.

That being said, going back to my original question, what would my chances be at those schools?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:45 pm

mak123 wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:
mak123 wrote:

What I am planning on doing is writing a short addendum explaining my identification as an American Indian and distinguishing myself from the typical American Indian applicant, who is Native American.

That being said, going back to my original question, what would my chances be at those schools?
It all turns on whether an American Indian of South American ancestry is considered a URM. The issue isn't your addendum or how well it clarifies things; the issue is whether South American Indians count according to the school. Your question can't really be answered until that's figured out definitively, because your chances are going to be dramatically different depending on how that comes out.

mak123

New

Post by mak123 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:04 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
mak123 wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:

It all turns on whether an American Indian of South American ancestry is considered a URM. The issue isn't your addendum or how well it clarifies things; the issue is whether South American Indians count according to the school. Your question can't really be answered until that's figured out definitively, because your chances are going to be dramatically different depending on how that comes out.

I see, so there is not really any way to predict how my cycle will go then huh? haha awesome. Would you recommend that I include the addendum for all schools or only the schools that ask for an enrollment number?

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:12 pm

mak123 wrote:
I see, so there is not really any way to predict how my cycle will go then huh? haha awesome. Would you recommend that I include the addendum for all schools or only the schools that ask for an enrollment number?
I mean, we could just plug your numbers into MyLSN.info as a URM, and then run it again as a non-URM. The thing is, those two outputs are likely to be so vastly different that you can't really make a prediction without knowing the URM piece.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”