Is better for GPA Splitters to take Sept or Dec LSAT? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
MattM

Bronze

Is better for GPA Splitters to take Sept or Dec LSAT?

Post by MattM » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:51 pm

With the decline in law school apps.....is it better for GPA 25% Splitters to take in Sept so they can send out their applications quicker or is it better to wait until Dec?

I know LSAT PT scores are also a large factor in this decision....so If I'm not at my potential, then the decision is much easier to make

My thoughts are for next year.......if I'm at 170+ in PT ( which I'm confident I can get to that point In PT) by September 2015 I'll go ahead and take the test.....if not wait until Dec 2015

I read in a previous post that as a splitter Dec LSAT is a bit too late,...but overall I've read in general Dec LSAT is not too late

Rigo

Diamond

Re: Is better for GPA Splitters to take Sept or Dec LSAT?

Post by Rigo » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:50 pm

MattM wrote:I decided to retake the LSAT at some point ( not sure when)....and on one of my most recent PT's I scored a 168.....Now I am at the pint where taking timing sections I can get to -3 for both LR combined and -2 to -3 LG with occasional -1 and -0 on LG
If you're scoring ~168, why the heck are you waiting a whole year or more until you sit for the test?

MattM

Bronze

Post by MattM » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:31 pm

Boost GPA since I'm a senior in College.... I haven't done much LSAT studying this past month

I figure GPA is a higher priority now since once I graduate I can't do anything about it.... and the LSAT can wait until later

MattM

Bronze

Post by MattM » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:38 pm

I figure my situation would be a little different if I had a 3.8+ GPA......then the call would be easy to focus on the LSAT for this cycle instead of school

With a 3.55 now I could bring it up to a 3.6 by Dec and 3.65 in May when I graduate if I got all A's

I could be wrong but let me know if you think otherwise about worrying about grades first , LSAT later

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:52 pm

You make good points. That's just such a long time to sustain LSAT prep. I know I couldn't do it. More power to you though.
I would definitely aim for the September test over the December.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MattM

Bronze

Post by MattM » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:08 am

Would you agree...or do you think it is a waste of time and I would get diminishing returns by trying to increase GPA now instead of LSAT?

while largely a LSAT score determines where you go.....GPA is still important at the T14

Id feel a bit more confident with a 3.6+ GPA and a 170X than my current 3.55 and 170X

( thats the TLS consensus I have gotten regarding my GPA)

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:26 am

It's definitely not a waste of time, but I don't think there's that much difference between a 3.55 and a 3.65 when it comes to T14 (you'll still be between 25% and median). Just make sure your GPA doesn't slip.
I would rather have a 3.55/170 than a 3.65/169, but that trade off seems irrelevant since you're not having to choose one over the other in your timeline.
I'm just saying it's not essential you wait so long to take the LSAT, but there's no harm in waiting so long if you can stay motivated and not have to start from scratch next summer.
Maybe get through this semester and see where your grades stand. Study for the LSAT over winter break and get a sense of where you're at and how much time you think you'd need to put in to get yourself to the next level.

Good luck to you. I respect your resilience.

MattM

Bronze

Post by MattM » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:32 am

Thanks! Best of luck to you as well if you're taking the LSAT anytime soon.

I wouldn't be studying a year plus for LSAT to take a break and not to use all prep tests....if I pushed back I would begin again in February as to not start from scratch

My current game plan is see how my exam in science goes in about two weeks ( always has been a weak subject) and then evaluate if I can realistically get a A in the class with effort....if I don't like where I am at then I'll start prepping again in October for Dec LSAT

My goal is to take 8 PT's in November and at least 6 would have to be 168+ to take the exam in December and apply for this cycle

MattM

Bronze

Post by MattM » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:37 am

i definitely feel much more confident about my LS chances and in a win win position........I saw the most improvements this summer after being able to prep without school.

So if i didn't get the PT scores I need for December....then after taking a break and starting up again in Feb/March or so I could make the LSAT my sole priority after graduation up until exam day

7sage videos and TLS have helped a lot.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:02 am

stop wasting time with LSAT prep. Get back to real books and start to pull down some A+'s if your school offers them. Take a juco class where you can score an A+.

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:32 pm

focus on school
if you don't have a demanding senior project or something last semester,
then try to stuff in a bunch of easy credits
get straight As

my suggestion would be to do some lg prep over winter break
and maintain with some light drilling through the spring semester
then do full prep straight through the summer, take in oct.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”