Current School GPA 2.75 but LSAC GPA 1.5?! 165 LSAT Chances? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
newlifedrj

New

Re: Current School GPA 2.75 but LSAC GPA 1.5?! 165 LSAT Chances?

Post by newlifedrj » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:58 pm

blueberrycrumble wrote:
newlifedrj wrote:
Princethedog wrote:Your chances are pretty high, especially to the 4th tier. Your LSAT score is passable and your GPA was 11 years ago (is there any way you could take some community college courses and raise it). Law school admissions numbers are plummeting. If you have a pulse and can pay the bill plenty will take you, especially with the 165. What geographic area are you looking at?

Shit happens, especially when you're younger.

Thank you. I'm looking at anywhere lol I'm not too worried about geographical location. But if I had to absolutely pick, I would choose to be in the north-eastern region.

But I think that I will take 3 more courses, pass with an A or at least a B+ before I apply so that I can get it up to at least a 2.1
Since you've been working for 11 years, I assume you graduated from undergrad. Sorry, but after you get your first degree, the courses you take no longer affect your GPA. You seem to be stuck with the 1.5
No I've been working for 11 years and have been self-employed for 8 of those years, however, I'm not done with my undergrad degree. I still have ONE more semester left. Since for the most part I've always been self-employed, I never had the need to finish my degree. I can still bring it up, there just won't be any drastic change.

I was debating on applying for this cycle to matriculate in Fall of 2015 with the 1.5. Or finish out the spring semester, bring up my gpa a bit and apply for summer/fall of 2016.

sccjnthn

New

Post by sccjnthn » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:03 pm

newlifedrj wrote:
blueberrycrumble wrote:
newlifedrj wrote:
Princethedog wrote:Your chances are pretty high, especially to the 4th tier. Your LSAT score is passable and your GPA was 11 years ago (is there any way you could take some community college courses and raise it). Law school admissions numbers are plummeting. If you have a pulse and can pay the bill plenty will take you, especially with the 165. What geographic area are you looking at?

Thank you. I'm looking at anywhere lol I'm not too worried about geographical location. But if I had to absolutely pick, I would choose to be in the north-eastern region.

But I think that I will take 3 more courses, pass with an A or at least a B+ before I apply so that I can get it up to at least a 2.1
Since you've been working for 11 years, I assume you graduated from undergrad. Sorry, but after you get your first degree, the courses you take no longer affect your GPA. You seem to be stuck with the 1.5
No I've been working for 11 years and have been self-employed for 8 of those years, however, I'm not done with my undergrad degree. I still have ONE more semester left. Since for the most part I've always been self-employed, I never had the need to finish my degree. I can still bring it up, there just won't be any drastic change.

I was debating on applying for this cycle to matriculate in Fall of 2015 with the 1.5. Or finish out the spring semester, bring up my gpa a bit and apply for summer/fall of 2016.
Why not just focus on expanding the bail bond business? Or worse case move out to California and self-study? You seem fine as an entrepreneur and could keep your business while studying part time on your own or going to one of the unaccredited schools.

FluffMonster

Gold

Post by FluffMonster » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:05 pm

Don't go to law school.

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:05 pm

blueberrycrumble wrote:
newlifedrj wrote:

His OP says he has a semester left. I think he needs to see if his old school will drop all those old classes from his transcripts. They should have a policy on doing that. If not, he should keep taking easy classes for As until his gpa is at least 2.7, but preferably 3.0.

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:32 pm

i mean i still can't understand the numbers here
unless you p/f everything but a handful of credits at your new school
so i think we're either not getting the whole story or this is troll

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

blueberrycrumble

Bronze

Post by blueberrycrumble » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:35 pm

dowu wrote: His OP says he has a semester left. I think he needs to see if his old school will drop all those old classes from his transcripts. They should have a policy on doing that. If not, he should keep taking easy classes for As until his gpa is at least 2.7, but preferably 3.0.
My bad, missed that. Still amazed that you can be in undergrad for 11+ years though... how does that work... one class at a time? And with many P/F courses too? I agree we are not getting the full story

sfoglia

Gold

Post by sfoglia » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:51 pm

Wow. Just wow.

newlifedrj

New

Post by newlifedrj » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:56 pm

Brut wrote:i mean i still can't understand the numbers here
unless you p/f everything but a handful of credits at your new school
so i think we're either not getting the whole story or this is troll
FURTHER EXPLANATION:

I'm not a troll lol

Over 2/3rd's of my degree is strictly pass/fail. I haven't been in undergrad for 11 years. I've only been serious about coming back to school about a year now. My current school allows you to completely "test" out of your degree with the exception of a few credits. Testing out of my degree has worked out for me up until now since I've gained over 80+ college credits in just a matter of 10 months.

I simply took a majority of the CLEP's, and used a combination of other pass/fail classes. My initial goal was to finish my degree as soon as possible and move onto a Masters. However, that's changed. For those of you who have no idea how this is possible or how you can test out of a degree you can find all of the information you need here: http://www.degreeforum.net/forum.php

I'm very disciplined. I just lack the actual LETTER grades for most of my classes. I test out of the requirements for my degree.

i.e. your BS/BA degree in "whatever" says you need two more courses in Natural Science/Math in order to finish college...in my case how I would handle that is by searching for text books and study guides/material on lets say Calculus Clep and a Biology Clep and once I've mastered the course I will take them for credit and I'm done. It beats sitting in a classroom for 4 months, when I can complete an entire class in 1 month. One time I finished an entire full 4 months of a psych class by studying ONLY 3 days, and on the 4th day I had already gained college credit for it.

It's the non-traditional way to finish a degree quickly. But it's only for people who are very self-disciplined.

If I knew I was going to want to apply to law school a year ago, I would have definitely taken more courses and I'm sure I would've had a stellar GPA. But this is where I'm at, and I accept that.

whitespider

Silver

Post by whitespider » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:02 pm

newlifedrj wrote:My current school allows you to completely "test" out of your degree with the exception of a few credits. Testing out of my degree has worked out for me up until now since I've gained over 80+ college credits in just a matter of 10 months.
:roll:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

newlifedrj

New

Post by newlifedrj » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:05 pm

sccjnthn wrote: Why not just focus on expanding the bail bond business? Or worse case move out to California and self-study? You seem fine as an entrepreneur and could keep your business while studying part time on your own or going to one of the unaccredited schools.
I've already expanded my business as far as I'd like to. I have 3 offices, trust me that's enough problems in a business that's open 24 hours year round. I'm tired of the business. I'm tired of waking up at all hours of the night. Having to drop all I'm doing whether important or not in order to run a 24/7 business. I understand that it was my choice, and I live with that, but I want more in life. Period.

I make a really excellent income, however, at the cost of my health, family time and life. Till you've worked 24/7 for years and years on end of having to deal with the incompetence, meanwhile your health is deteriorating, trust me...no amount of money is worth the devastation.

It's time for change, and that's what I'm aiming for. No one knows what I've sacrificed to get to where I'm at...It's just not worth it anymore.

Also....I want to be eligible to practice in all 50 states...not just CA. I'm VERY familiar with unaccredited or CalAccredited schools...not my interest at all. Especially with the incredibly laughable bar pass rates. It's an already difficult bar exam (California's) to pass...no need to hinder yourself any further from passing. It might work for others, but not for me.

PepperJack

Silver

Post by PepperJack » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:06 pm

If real I would go ahead and pursue law if you really want to.

The URM status along with a 165 will get you an acceptance somewhere. The average AA male score is a 141. If you have a 165 and are a black male then you're likely in the top 1% of black men pursuing law school as measured by the LSAT. The LSAT is more predictive of 1L grades than GPA. There are also diversity measures in place that make it much easier to get a job as a URM from many schools.

newlifedrj

New

Post by newlifedrj » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:08 pm

whitespider wrote:
newlifedrj wrote:My current school allows you to completely "test" out of your degree with the exception of a few credits. Testing out of my degree has worked out for me up until now since I've gained over 80+ college credits in just a matter of 10 months.
Lol you can visit that forum if you don't believe me. PLENTY of people have gotten bachelors completely finished 0-120 credits in a matter of months.

newlifedrj

New

Post by newlifedrj » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:10 pm

PepperJack wrote:If real I would go ahead and pursue law if you really want to.

The URM status along with a 165 will get you an acceptance somewhere. The average AA male score is a 141. If you have a 165 and are a black male then you're likely in the top 1% of black men pursuing law school as measured by the LSAT. The LSAT is more predictive of 1L grades than GPA. There are also diversity measures in place that make it much easier to get a job as a URM from many schools.
I'm Hispanic. Thank you for your insight.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

whitespider

Silver

Post by whitespider » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:13 pm

newlifedrj wrote:
whitespider wrote:
Lol you can visit that forum if you don't believe me. PLENTY of people have gotten bachelors completely finished 0-120 credits in a matter of months.
I know it can be done, I just think it's ridiculous.

malleus discentium

Silver

Post by malleus discentium » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:13 pm

newlifedrj wrote:
sccjnthn wrote: Why not just focus on expanding the bail bond business? Or worse case move out to California and self-study? You seem fine as an entrepreneur and could keep your business while studying part time on your own or going to one of the unaccredited schools.
I've already expanded my business as far as I'd like to. I have 3 offices, trust me that's enough problems in a business that's open 24 hours year round. I'm tired of the business. I'm tired of waking up at all hours of the night. Having to drop all I'm doing whether important or not in order to run a 24/7 business. I understand that it was my choice, and I live with that, but I want more in life. Period.

I make a really excellent income, however, at the cost of my health, family time and life. Till you've worked 24/7 for years and years on end of having to deal with the incompetence, meanwhile your health is deteriorating, trust me...no amount of money is worth the devastation.

It's time for change, and that's what I'm aiming for. No one knows what I've sacrificed to get to where I'm at...It's just not worth it anymore.

Also....I want to be eligible to practice in all 50 states...not just CA. I'm VERY familiar with unaccredited or CalAccredited schools...not my interest at all. Especially with the incredibly laughable bar pass rates. It's an already difficult bar exam (California's) to pass...no need to hinder yourself any further from passing. It might work for others, but not for me.
What do you think being a lawyer, especially a self-employed lawyer, is going to be like?

jk148706

Gold

Post by jk148706 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:21 pm

Flame is obvious

newlifedrj

New

Post by newlifedrj » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:31 pm

malleus discentium wrote:
newlifedrj wrote:

What do you think being a lawyer, especially a self-employed lawyer, is going to be like?
I know what you're insinuating...and although I'll have to work extremely hard...it'll be nothing like bail bonds. Trust me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

newlifedrj

New

Post by newlifedrj » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:32 pm

whitespider wrote:
newlifedrj wrote:
whitespider wrote:
I know it can be done, I just think it's ridiculous.
I'm not going to play into your ignorance. Have a nice day.

kevgogators

Bronze

Post by kevgogators » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:33 pm

What kind of Hispanic? Not all of us get the URM boost.

kevgogators

Bronze

Post by kevgogators » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:36 pm

What is your "college" major?

newlifedrj

New

Post by newlifedrj » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:45 pm

kevgogators wrote:What kind of Hispanic? Not all of us get the URM boost.
I can't specifically say which..because of the whole point of this board being anonymous and all...lol

But I'm one of these three: Colombian, Dominican, and Salvadorian

College major is Psychology.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:47 pm

newlifedrj wrote:
I can't specifically say which..because of the whole point of this board being anonymous and all...lol

have you read this thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 14&t=35568

mornincounselor

Silver

Post removed.

Post by mornincounselor » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:52 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

newlifedrj

New

Post by newlifedrj » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:01 pm

Brut wrote:
newlifedrj wrote:

have you read this thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 14&t=35568
I will now thank you

kevgogators

Bronze

Post by kevgogators » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:35 pm

newlifedrj wrote:
Brut wrote:
newlifedrj wrote:

I will now thank you

Yeah, you aren't a URM. Typically, only Mexican Americans and Puerto Ricans qualify.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”