3.44 top 5 UG GPA, 176, ORM, Finance internships Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
elvissey1984

New

3.44 top 5 UG GPA, 176, ORM, Finance internships

Post by elvissey1984 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:21 pm

What are my chances?

3.44 in UChicago economics and computer

Resume does not have law experiences, but is filled with finance experiences. What are my chances?

ScottRiqui

Gold

Re: 3.44 top 5 UG GPA, 176, ORM, Finance internships

Post by ScottRiqui » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:29 pm

Unless your work experience is particularly compelling, your cycle will probably boil down to "3.44/176", which gives you a very good shot at several of the T14, with money:

elvissey1984

New

Post by elvissey1984 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:41 pm

Thank you for your reply.

My internships are very quantitative and intense. UChicago gives lower GPAs. I'm also doing double major. Do you think they will consider these? No offense, but I think the sample on the picture is too small to be representative..

Colonel_funkadunk

Gold

Post by Colonel_funkadunk » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:47 pm

The double major doesn't matter. Many law applicants have intense internships. It, for the most part, does just boil down to you uGPA and LSAT as these are what most affect rankings.

retaking23

Bronze

Post by retaking23 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:53 pm

If you can make them believe you are more amazing than a 3.44 by really selling your dual major, intensive internships, and how your goals will be best served by a law degree, then you should disregard LSN...... maybe. Small sample size or not, that service is quite the reliable admissions forecaster.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:59 pm

elvissey1984 wrote:Thank you for your reply.

My internships are very quantitative and intense. UChicago gives lower GPAs. I'm also doing double major. Do you think they will consider these? No offense, but I think the sample on the picture is too small to be representative..
You're correct, the sample sizes are small - one application going the other way would shift the percentages significantly at most of the schools. There's not a lot of data because you're a "super splitter" - you have an LSAT score that's well above the 75th percentile for almost all of the T14 school, and an uGPA that's well below the 25th percentile at all of them.

But the message to take away should be that you'll likely get into several of the T14, with significant money at a few of them, but that's about as accurate of a prediction that you're likely to get. Personally, I'd send applications to all of them that you'd be willing to attend, and make them tell you "no" if they don't want you.

Chrstgtr

Bronze

Post by Chrstgtr » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:17 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:
elvissey1984 wrote:Thank you for your reply.

You're correct, the sample sizes are small - one application going the other way would shift the percentages significantly at most of the schools. There's not a lot of data because you're a "super splitter" - you have an LSAT score that's well above the 75th percentile for almost all of the T14 school, and an uGPA that's well below the 25th percentile at all of them.

But the message to take away should be that you'll likely get into several of the T14, with significant money at a few of them, but that's about as accurate of a prediction that you're likely to get. Personally, I'd send applications to all of them that you'd be willing to attend, and make them tell you "no" if they don't want you.
I would send it to all even if you wouldn't want to attend. If you are admitted with a scholarship to a school you're not interested in you can use that scholarship as leverage to negotiate with schools that you are more interested in and gain more $$.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:27 pm

Anywhere in particular that you're wondering about your chances? HYS? T14?

You'll have good options in the T14. If there are any schools/programs that schools will accept a lower GPA from due to rigor, then UChi Econ/CS is one of them.

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:59 am

Here's my cycle, which may interest you:
edit: I pm'd you a link to my LSN profile.

Even if Cornell doesn't give you a fee waiver, apply anyways for dat negotiation $$$. They did weird things last cycle with money and splitters...

ETA: Obviously, apply early.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”